Characteristic differences between the L2 and L4?

aryntha

Newly Enlightened
Are these two (the Surefire L2 and L4) the same head?

Is the only difference that one has two levels, and one doesn't?

(I assume they use the same KL4, or is that not true)

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, heads are different. L4 uses KL4, but the L2 has the regulation circuit in the body, not the head. The L2 is longer.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 and L2 although have the same peak brightness when it comes to lumens #'s. The extra circuitry eats up the runtime that it would have if it was more simple like the L4.

SCblur

Enlightened
The L4 has the circuitry in the head, and is therefore interchangeable w/ all E-series parts. The L2 is considerably longer than the L4, and the circuitry is in the body. The discharge curve on the L4 is flatter than the L2, but the L2 does much better than most people believe when you keep it cool. When you see an L2 discharge curve plumetting after 30 minutes, you're looking at thermal protection. I have seen graphs for the L2 that are much flatter, where the light was cooled during the test w/ a fan.

Personally, I prefer the feel of the L2 in my hands to the L4. It is bigger, but it feels more centered and balanced. Just my preference.

Luna

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
The L4 and L2 although have the same peak brightness when it comes to lumens #'s. The extra circuitry eats up the runtime that it would have if it was more simple like the L4.

That isn't the case. The L2's circuit is supposibly more efficient . The runtime difference is due to the fact the L2 is running the LED at a much higher current than the L4.

Also keep in mind the L2 puts out a more intense beam.

Flashlight Reviews show the L2@780lux (older test was better IIRC) and the L4@512lux This due to the much greater current of the L2. As the batter depletes and/or the light gets warm, the output drops fast. Similar results at the http://www.flashlight-fan.com/flame_page/frame_l2.htm site

Up close and indoors the difference doesn't seem so great but it measures so!

In all likelyhood the intended usage was to use the L2 on low as the *normal output* and the high as a turbo boost mode.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SCblur said:
Personally, I prefer the feel of the L2 in my hands to the L4. It is bigger, but it feels more centered and balanced. Just my preference.

I also find the L2 to be more comfortable to use compared to the L4. The KL4 bezel is the wrong shape for such a short body as the L4 - at least for my hands.

Al

aryntha

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot, guys..

Ended up with the L4 for now... but: let's just say this...

When I came to CPF a week ago, I had an E2L.

Now I have an E2L, L1-Red, L1-Green, and L4.

L6 or U2 is on the surefire wishlist.

I think the infection has taken hold.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
aryntha,

I would like to offer a diagnosis for the condition that you are experience. It is a serious condition that if left untreated will cause you to undergo periods of mania and periods of depression. It is called Flashaholism.

The onset of mania occurs as you plan your next purchase or when you receive your next light or light accessory.

The onest of depression may or may not occur shortly after your purchase when you find out how much you spent on an item that you did not need.

Flashaholism is always characterized by mania but only sometimes characterized by depression. Those that do not suffer from purchase induced depression are in most cases FLASHIOPATHS. They do not have the emotional or social wherewithal to feel remorse and the ensuing depression for their actions.

There is a short term remedy for this condition. When the mania begins to take hold, take 2 CR123's with a full glass of water and call the doctor in the morning.

-Goatee M.D.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
That isn't the case. The L2's circuit is supposibly more efficient . The runtime difference is due to the fact the L2 is running the LED at a much higher current than the L4.

Also keep in mind the L2 puts out a more intense beam.

Flashlight Reviews show the L2@780lux (older test was better IIRC) and the L4@512lux This due to the much greater current of the L2. As the batter depletes and/or the light gets warm, the output drops fast. Similar results at the http://www.flashlight-fan.com/flame_page/frame_l2.htm site

Up close and indoors the difference doesn't seem so great but it measures so!

In all likelyhood the intended usage was to use the L2 on low as the *normal output* and the high as a turbo boost mode.

I see. Thanks for the info.
I just assumed that since both lights are rated at 100 lumens and use the same batteries. So i figured there had to be some reason for the difference in runtime. I also figured the lux was different becuase the light is focused differently. For example, i could focus the hotspot really right on the L4 and the lux will read much higher than the L2. But since the L2 has a hotspot+flood instead of just mainly flood, or even sometimes a donut, i figured it was just a different focus.

Luna

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
But since the L2 has a hotspot+flood instead of just mainly flood, or even sometimes a donut, i figured it was just a different focus.

They have the same reflector type.

PS they were not orginially rated at 100 each. The L2 was 100 and the L4 65.

The KL4 I just got is just as bright as my L2 so something has changed--current or emitter. I'm not gonna take it apart to measure though (yeah we will see how long that attitude lasts :))

aryntha

Newly Enlightened
:)> said:
When the mania begins to take hold, take 2 CR123's with a full glass of water and call the doctor in the morning.

-Goatee M.D.

Are you sure that isn't "take 2 CR123's and call Surefire in the morning and rationalize why you can 'affordize' the U2 - " oh, wait, no.....

Heh, I should have known, when I went to a pizza joint with my friends from work last night and --- purposely waited till after dark to meet up so I could show 'em off, heh...

The good thing is: My girlfriend picked one up and said, "Huh, what's this? Really well made." She unscrewed the tailcap, (She works for a camera manufacturer): "Oh! CR123's! I can get lots of those from work!"

I've already convinced her that she should get an E1L -- she says the price is 'absolutely reasonable for how well (my E2L) is built'.

I have a feeling we're going to be going for long walks after dark now.

Size15's

Flashaholic
aryntha said:
The good thing is: My girlfriend picked one up and said, "Huh, what's this? Really well made." She unscrewed the tailcap, (She works for a camera manufacturer): "Oh! CR123's! I can get lots of those from work!"

I've been thinking about this and aside from having a girlfriend who works at SureFire, or at a brewery I'm not sure how much luckier you can get! :bow:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
aryntha said:
Are you sure that isn't "take 2 CR123's and call Surefire in the morning and rationalize why you can 'affordize' the U2 - " oh, wait, no.....

Aryntha,

You CAN afford the U2. You just need to prioritize. Skip some meals or rob a bank or something like that. It'll be worth it!

-Goatee

Size15's

Flashaholic
:)> said:
Aryntha,

You CAN afford the U2. You just need to prioritize. Skip some meals or rob a bank or something like that. It'll be worth it!

-Goatee

Of course you should be prepared for the consequences of any actions you take. For example you could end up thinner, or doing time as result of skipping some meals or robbing a bank...

My advice:
Don't snack, and don't get caught!