Minty Top-Lite 8D

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the 50 or so year old Minty Top Lite 8-D cell light I ordered on Ebay. I was very surprised to see that the batteries are arranged in 4 serial * 2 parallel -- I hadn't seen that with D cells before. (The batteries are packed in a 2 long facing the lamp module * 2 wide * 2 stacked high orientation.)I guess if you wanted to run a 6V PR bulb drawing significant current(It came with a functioning 6V PR bulb) with Carbon cells it made design sense.

The design of the light is red stamped steel battery box with a black plastic handle on top with finger grips and a compact sheet metal head with a 3 to 3.5" glass lens and metal reflector. The overall mass of the light is as small as it could be.

The beam is suprisingly clean and tightly focused. I had planned on totally modding the light, but I think I'll have Carley pot a 4.7 V 3.85 A 411 Lumen 75 hour life W/A #01183 bulb into a PR base. (Carley will pot other peoples bulbs with a 10 unit minimum.) Does anyone have a brighter alternative 4 rechargeable cell PR bulb alternative?

All of these will require NiMH's or NiCads given the current.

moraino

Enlightened
Lemlux,

The 6V lantern battery has 8 LONG D size batteries. Again, parallel serial togetherto make it 6 volt. I use can opener to rid of the used one and replace it with lead acid rechareable and replaced the bulb with HPR50?(5.2volt). I also install a LM317 inside and a jack to recharge the battery. It works well for emergency.

And I don't expect anyone to come up with brighter bulb than the one you mentioned without wearing sunglasses if they want to MEASURE the light intensity with naked eyes.

I have a MAG 3D and I want to throw in a NiMh 8AA pack or 12AA with step down DC/DC to 8AA level. Do you recommend any bulb or bulbs without deteriorating the reflector(including long time use)? Or whether i can buy a Mag charger reflector?

Are you buying a Tiger light? And I wonder if the bulb you will be sujesting comparable to Streamlight US brightness. Thanks a lot for any reply.

Good luck with your project.
Henry

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Oh, Minty Top Lite 8-D cell light! And here I thought you were describing the condition of such a vintage light...

Nice find BTW!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk:

After I receive my 11 to 13 2D sized 6AA adapters from you I could put 4 of them in this light. With NiMHs that would effectively give me a 14.2 V 3600 mAh battery pack. The options continue to expand.

Moraino:

I don't think I'll buy a Tigerlite at this time, but I do think I'll buy one Tigerlite LA and play with it. As it is driven by 6 small NiMHs it holds potential for use with Mr. Bulk's adapters.