Are my customers happy or unhappy with my LED mods?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a lot of good feedback via e-mail or PM, but I don't see too many posts about my work. I would like anybody that has one of my mods and is either happy or unhappy to post here so I can get a better idea of what people think.

cary1952

Newly Enlightened
No offense since I have heard good things about your work(haven't bought any), but if people send you private emails already about your work, it sounds like you are fishing for public recognition or compliments, and/or advertising.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the inclination that people are more likely to post rants than praise, and that you're getting good feedback from e-mails/PMs, and the few posts that I've seen about your work has generally been positive, maybe it's not such a bad thing that there aren't threads about your work?

You know that even if someone starts up a thread praising your work, some jerk who doesn't own and has probably never even seen your work is going to come in criticising it, trying to make it sound like they know what they're talking about.

MillerMods said:
I get a lot of good feedback via e-mail or PM, but I don't see too many posts about my work. I would like anybody that has one of my mods and is either happy or unhappy to post here so I can get a better idea of what people think.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 3-level L0P is great. I would hype them more but you stopped making the 3-level version AFAIK.

I haven't had any problem with the two tiny springs that give it 3-levels. If it flickers a bit when I set a level I just wipe the front bare edge of the battery tube clean.

I wish the tint of mine was a little less purple but that's not Eric's fault. The anodizing is holding up very well (in my pocket with my coins). Only the square corner at the lens end is worn off (as expected since anodizing grows perpendicular to the surface). The rest of it looks like new.

Greg

JimmyB

Enlightened
cary1952 said:
No offense since I have heard good things about your work(haven't bought any), but if people send you private emails already about your work, it sounds like you are fishing for public recognition or compliments, and/or advertising.

Nothing wrong with that. Most of the modders here seem to do it for the love of modifying, not for the money. Part of the benefit is getting recognition and approval. He's asking for criticism good or bad. I for one appreciate guys like Miller who do what I can't and offer goods/services at reasonable prices.

JimmyB

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see some public comments, since I haven't gotten a MM yet. It would be a big help, not only to have some confimation of the work quality, which certainly looks good from what I've seen, but some feedback on the specific choices folks have made would also be helpful to me in making my own choices.

Who would such comments help? Primarily the customers. While it can help his business/hobby, it can also hurt it, depending on what people say. That's taking a risk, and, IMO, that's a good sign of someone who cares about his customers. Either way, CPF members benefit. If MM's work is good, we'll know it so that we can make informed decisions. If it's not good, then we'd know to go elsewhere.

I look forward to what others have to say.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
not always true, generally is...

happy customers don't always give feedback...

but unhappy customers almost always will let you and the world know it!

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
greg_in_canada said:
My 3-level L0P is great. I would hype them more but you stopped making the 3-level version AFAIK.

Greg

I stopped making them for a short while but started making them again. In fact I'll be offering a less expensive version soon using the Fenix E2 as the host.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason forums seem to be the opposite of the complaint rules. I see some (been guilty myself) go to nauseating lengths to complement some builders and even slight criticism poo -poo ed.

MM, I think that you are doing good stuff and I've read alot of positive things about your work but I think had you been in the game a year before , hell maybe even just 6 months, your buzz would have been huge.

Something to also keep in mind is that some of us are looking for THE ultimate EDC and keep buying and reselling. I'm sorta like this. Some of us seem to keep looking for the next buzz in a light purchase. This week it's this thing next week it's that thing. The Ti-PD people will be annoying the crap out of us about how great that light is for the next 35 years whereas the folks looking for the next light purchase buzz will have filled up 350 pages of comments on then next 30 product releases from Fenix.

I think that if you want to make a splash, and at this point, the lake is near frozen, you'll have to do a light from the ground up and the odds are that finding something really uniqe to make it special will be VERY hard.

davidra

Enlightened
I'm happy to speak up. I received an Arc two stage 1.5W modded head. While the head uses a non-standard O ring, slightly larger than standard, which makes it a little difficult to initiate movement, with some silicone it works fine. The light itself is a monster. I've been packing an Arc for many years on my keychain, and I never dreamed that anyone could get that amount of light out of one AAA battery. On low, the output is close to the old-style standard Arcs and clearly not as bright as the new ones, but much whiter and reasonable in a dark house for navigation purposes. On high, the output is bright white and amazingly bright. I just can't imagine any other light that could take it's place on my keychain.

Danintex

Enlightened
I got one of your L1Ps off BST and when I compared it to the standard one- Man Alive!!! No one can tell me it's less than 45-50 lumens and for a loong time too. She rides in my back pocket next to a wallet and haven't found anything I like better. It's very white- when someone shows up with a new torch that's what we do color comparos with as well as "smallest brightest" battles.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
I think that if you want to make a splash, and at this point, the lake is near frozen, you'll have to do a light from the ground up and the odds are that finding something really uniqe to make it special will be VERY hard.

Thank you for your comments. That helps me understand the scope of things a lot better.

Even though I offer things that know one else does, I sort of expected that to give me more of an edge than it seems to have.

The ultimate for me would be an EDC that has the diameter of an Arc AAA and throws like an HDS or a IMS 17mm reflector. The Peak Pacific is the closest to it, and I have a modified version of one on my keychain. I just know it could still be a bit smaller with the same performance, although it still wouldn't match the Arc diameter. As it is though, the throw, intesity, and beam profile of the modified Pacific are the same or better than the Fenix L2P (both with S-bin lux I's) and I get a 40 minute (down 20% then a cliff at 40 min) runtime from a 900mA Sayno NIMH AAA cell.

I know many folks wants micro-controlled user defineable brightness levels, but there is just too little space in a compact AAA form factor for that.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well said!!!

JimmyB said:
Nothing wrong with that. Most of the modders here seem to do it for the love of modifying, not for the money. Part of the benefit is getting recognition and approval. He's asking for criticism good or bad. I for one appreciate guys like Miller who do what I can't and offer goods/services at reasonable prices.

JimmyB

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my 1.7 watt MillerMods (Fenix) L1P :thumbsup:
Took it apart about two weeks ago and swapped out the stock R bin for a UWAJ LuxeonIII just "because". The job Eric did on the pill was very good and not having the adhesively sealed threads on the pill made it a snap to mod the MillerMod.
I ran two NiMH cells through it back to back with the light sitting on the table. No problems although it was quite warm after over 2 hours of burn time. It lives its days as my bicycle helmet mounted light and work very well and turns on everytime.
No problems with the two-stage (5 ohm) switch, no overheating problems, no battery problems... just no problems. An added bonus is the light will strobe when the battery is toast. A really nice thing to know when it rides on my helmet so I can pull over, fish a back-up battery out of my bag and make it home. No battery? Click it down to low so others will see me.
How could my MM L1P be improved? Somebody mail me a WX1H K2 :) Maybe in 2008. All in all, a great light that I use all the time for bike riding since it is bright, reliable and has multi-output while running on a single rechargable or lithium AA battery. Most people that see the tiny blinding light on my helmet look for the battery pack wire. They get a confused look when I say single AA battery inside, no wires. It makes it all worth it.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
MAN I THINK YOUR MODS ARE GREAT!!!! my arcAAA mod if just awsome, thanks again after i digest my tipd ill get a few more arcs that you mod as presents..dont loose the faith

bucken

Enlightened
I EDC a MM Arc AA 2-stage mod and a 1.7W MM L1P mod attached to a CR2 tube daily. I travel a lot (just ending 3 weeks in the UK, again) and use both these lights extensively in my work. Because I can't swap either out (at home) for a different light, they MUST BE RELIABLE. I'm pleased to say that neither light has ever let me down. I also carry a 1.7 W MM L2P that I swapped the TWOH Lux with a Cyan Lux in my shaving kit, as a back-up. AWESOME! Great turn-around time and the work is neat and professional looking. NO COMPLAINTS HERE!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be sure to post my impressions, once mine arrives. Until then, though, a BIG THUMBS UP for the superfast email responses to both my order request and the correction on my doltzy mistake. An ArcP AAA TXOH 30mA/1.5W polished parabolic sounds just like what the doctor ordered!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
MM

The Fenix L2P with CR123A battery adaptor seems the perfect form factor to me. Do your 3-level 3W mods accept the rechargeables (3.6-4.2v) in this format?
Sorry if it's a little O/T....

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
A killer light from Miller Mods!

Maglite 2D TVIJ's

dsc02703small5iv.jpg