Dish Network

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I was a raving fan until tonight! This maybe belongs in C&J, but I am major pi$$ed! My subscription was approaching its annual renewal and I got the notice in the mail last week and mailed the annual check. As of tonight, my pvr is recording an error msg- :this is a subscription channel,,,: I called their toll-free, and what a bunch of crap!

Prolly breaking some rules. I just sent them this:

I get maybe an hour of TV per night. This past week I got my annual renewal invoice to the tune of ~$333.00 I wrote a check and mailed it. Tonight I got a message when trying to watch the SciFi channel that said "This is a subscription channel....." I called the toll free in the message and actually, finally reached a live operator who was unsucessful in transferiing me to tech service. I entered my phone number ((949) xxx-xxxx), followed by the pound sign multiple times with no results!!!!! You finally hung-up on me!

I will be at my employer's credit union on monday morning to stop payment on that check! Please terminate my subscription immediately! In my opinion, you folks are incompetent! You can address or ignore this by monday morning! I am really pissed!

Larry

A short time will tell!

Larry :rant:

LowWorm

Enlightened
Did you try aiming your tank light into the phone? :duck:

I don't subscribe to satellite T.V., so I can't recommend an alternative...but this sounds typical of the type of "customer service" so many businesses offer today...I'm just surprised you didn't get routed to a support center in India. :shrug:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a bit confused you mention a "yearly subscription fee" to the tune of 333 bucks is this the only bill for the year from dish?? My reason for asking is I pay monthly and am not familiar with a "subscription fee" on an annular basis.

gorn

Enlightened
I've had the same error message pop up from time to time over the years. The first time it happened I called. After jumping through the scripted hoops of the customer support drone it boiled down to doing a manual reset of the reciever. Now when it happens I just hold the power button for 10 seconds and let the thing reboot.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no problem with Dish until I cancelled because of moving.

They wanted me to go to my roof (I had a condo on the 3rd floor) remove something on the satellite dish and UPS it them. I refused to go up there and they "waived" that requirement.

It took me 4 months to resolve this issue and get a full credit. Just like AOL, you're good to go until you try to cancel.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I did a reboot on the box tonight. Problem is I got into the PVR/TV remote's last night and all I have is static. I've carried the title "Engineer" for ~30 years, but find setting all the "set top" boxes to talk to each other a massive pain!!!! Tomorrow I will attach my POS RCA television directly to the antenna on my roof. I receive the local PBS channels just fine. Direct ripped me off and Dish's customer service is incompetant! Back to free TV!

Larry

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
It is possible to pay your Dish network subscription on an annual basis. You also get a small discount for doing so.

I understand about the frustration with them. However, I keep jumping through hoops and re-upping my subscription every year.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
smokinbasser said:
I am a bit confused you mention a "yearly subscription fee" to the tune of 333 bucks is this the only bill for the year from dish?? My reason for asking is I pay monthly and am not familiar with a "subscription fee" on an annular basis.
Paying on an annual basis saves about one month's charges.
They don't %&#%$@ do this for the DVR portion of the bill. That requires a visit to the web site.

It appears that they have moved off-shore and my last call to them left me pissed. It was a long call and I finally asked for a supervisor to give me something other than the canned answer. That failed and I asked for the corporate phone number.
He said he could not connect me and I said I just wanted the phone number.
He said he did not have it and I said "You don't know the phone number of the people you work for?" He said no and I hung up....

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I posted that rant last friday and got an Email reply *today* from their tech services which started with the "re-boot* it "fix." My "system" is the sat receiver, a Panasonic PVR :rant: and a POS RCA big screen TV with only 2-inputs- antenna and S-vid/antenna that I bought from Fry's a few years ago. In an attempt to get things working, I messed with the TV or PVR's remotes and all I have is static!

Keeping those critters talking to each other has been a major PITA for this engineer, and I have had ENOUGH! I was watching maybe 1 recorded episode of something on the SciFi channel per night, and maybe the time would be better spent on freebie PBS!

My current sched is into work at 0645, clear my emails and voicemails, off to a SolidWorks training offsite until 1630 and home by 17something through thursday. I will be calling them to cancil my service and refund my recently-prepaid year!

Until the providers exert sufficient pressure on the equipment manufacturers to make their equipment compatible I'm going Luddite!

Larry