Nitrolon lock out tailcap?

kirko

Newly Enlightened
My nitrolon doesnt really have a lock out tailcap, just a twisty tailcap. Im worried about it beind my edc because im afraid the light may turn on in my pocket. Any Suggestions? I dont really wana carry around my e2d because it sometimes gets uncomfortable with the strike bezel...

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, you should have your EDC light locked out anyway, it should always be ready to use.. there is a LOTC for the Nitrolon, though, or you could get a clickie metal swtich for it..

greenLED

Flashaholic
:confused: I thought all tailcap were "lock out". You twist them off enough to "lock" the light off. What am I missing?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2 is now and has been for a while supplied with a LockOut TailCap (LOTC).
Prior to this it was supplied with a TailCap that did not feature SureFire's patented LockOut design.

The LockOut design allows you to unscrew the TailCap past a point at which pressing the pressure switch push button no longer activates the light. Once this has been achieve the TailCap is locked out.

With the exception of the 8NX/8AX/L7 all SureFire flashlights have LOTC's.
(technically the 8NX/8AX/L7 doesn't have a TailCap but neither does the 10X and it can be locked out...)

I am not aware of SureFire having assigned Z numbers to the Nitrolon LockOut TailCaps.

I suggest that you purchase a new G2 and keep your old one as a spare/spare parts.

Al

Kevin K

Newly Enlightened
Try Surefire customer service. I emailed them for a G2 LOTC a couple months back, and got one in a couple weeks, no cost.

h_nu

Enlightened
My G2 is the old model and the cap would fall off before it locked out. Solved the problem by moving the light to a kitchen cabinet and getting a Brinkmann Maxfire. Even a $6 Dorcy can be locked out.

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
I have a yellow G2. When I bought it, I didn't think it had the lockout tailcap because I thought there would be markings on the end of the barrel and the tailcap to indicate the lockout position. I was also a raw, green newbie at the time. (June)

I contacted Surefire by email and asked about receiving a LOTC and they agreed to mail me one. A few days later, a yellow front bezel arrived. I called them on the phone to report the error, and they agreed to send me a LOTC. A few days later, another yellow front bezel arrived. Again I called them to get the correct part, and they agreed to send me one. A few days later, the proper yellow LOTC arrived.

Then, a couple of days later, for reasons unknown, an olive green LOTC arrived.:thinking:

Two glitches notwithstanding, I still appreciated their prompt customer service.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
TorchEnvy said:
I contacted Surefire by email and asked about receiving a LOTC and they agreed to mail me one. A few days later, a yellow front bezel arrived. I called them on the phone to report the error, and they agreed to send me a LOTC. A few days later, another yellow front bezel arrived. Again I called them to get the correct part, and they agreed to send me one. A few days later, the proper yellow LOTC arrived.

Then, a couple of days later, for reasons unknown, an olive green LOTC arrived.:thinking:

I think thats the best customer service story I've heard. . . ever!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I love stories like that! :D
It's like "Shirley they can tell the difference between a bezel and a TailCap... Right?" and furthermore "Shirley they can tell the difference between Olive Drab and Yellow... Right?"
You've gotta give 'em credit for effort I guess. I wonder if it would have been more cost effective to send a whole new G2-YL?
I guess there'd be a chance you'd get an E2e by mistake or something!!

Al :grin2:

veritas

Newly Enlightened
Wait a sec.....so you can install a lock out tailcap on an originally non-LOTC light? I have the "old" version of the G2 without the LOTC. Can I get such a tailcap and use it on my light?

Size15's

Flashaholic
veritas said:
Wait a sec.....so you can install a lock out tailcap on an originally non-LOTC light? I have the "old" version of the G2 without the LOTC. Can I get such a tailcap and use it on my light?

This is certainly the case with SureFire's Classic line (original 3P/6P/9P/12PM/3R/6R/6Z/9Z/12ZM etc). It seems like it is also the case for the original Nitrolon G2's as well.

schrenz

Enlightened
TorchEnvy said:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Be happy, now you can melt down some bezels with P61 bulb.....

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
Do you want my olive one?

veritas said:

Hey, good idea. By "screwing up" these parts orders, they've made me want to go buy the P61.:laughing: Kind of a roundabout way of increasing accessory sales.

schrenz said:
Be happy, now you can melt down some bezels with P61 bulb.....

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Z49 clickie that I rotate on a couple different lights.
I think it looks pretty nice on the G2 actually. The rubber hood protects the button from accidental activation and allows tailstanding too.

I think I'll get a yellow G2 as a travel light now that they have the LOTC's. Gotta like that non-tactical, non-eyebrow raising color.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks for enlightening me on the differences, Al. Do you know what makes some tailcaps lock out and others just... unscrew?

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
I have an old G2 (od) that I got when they first came out. A couple of months ago, I ordered a new LOTC from Calvin at BrightFlashlights .

I think at the time they were $8 shipped. It's nice cause now I can carry it again. It had been relegated to desk duty at home.

Size15's

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
Thanks for enlightening me on the differences, Al. Do you know what makes some tailcaps lock out and others just... unscrew?

The contact inside the LockOut versions is secured and allowed only limited travel when the push button is pressed. Once you unscrew the TailCap beyond the point at which the contact can make contact when pushed it is locked out.

Latest posts