got a new maglite, want to mod it....

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
so i am 19 years old, and i am pretty interested in electronics (going to college to be an electronics technician), but i dont have a ton of experience, so i thought i would start doing some small projects. well my dad has a friend that has a ton of maglite's that are given to him, and since he doesnt need all of them, he gave me one. its an older, 3C model. i was just wondering where to find stuff to upgrade them. i work with a guy that modded a 3D one with like 6 AA batteries and a new light, and the thing was so bright. it even burned thru a small phone book. where can i buy new light bulbs? should i go with an LED light? what is the reason to putting AA batteries in it instead of C's? how do i buy the adapter to do that? any other ideas or advice?? thanks.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
bobby_7 said:
i work with a guy that modded a 3D one with like 6 AA batteries and a new light, and the thing was so bright. it even burned thru a small phone book. .

Wow, that sounds bright! I am not sure about a 3C. Hmmmm, good luck and welcome to CPF! Unless you wanna drain your bank, you shouldnt hang around here too long... :laughing:

Illum

Flashaholic
hello and welcome to CPF! :wave:

I just turned 19 and wants to have a degree in electrical engineering...a long yarz away...

you speak of this mod...sounds like a USL

Im not experienced in modding, I just use lights as they come. Like PoliceScannerMan says...If you dont want to drain your wallet of all money, you might want to stay away from this place...

I dunno about a 3C, but if he has a 2C lying around, and willing to give it to you...mod it
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_2c-123a_mod.htm

this will give the old mag new lite by out-throwing all the lights around here [save the HID] and extremely high output...but like all proformance mods, dont expect a runtime of over 1-2 hours...and do it at your own risk, we've had a ton of lithium battery disasters around here.

these little 123As, normally cost $15-20 for a pair in stores, you can buy them at www.batterystation.com for $1 each or www.surefire.com for around $1.50 each

Enjoy :wave: regards

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one: My ROP 1400. About $70.00 in parts and host.

Recipe:

The host is a Mag 3C

Deanodize the tailcap with lye drain cleaner, wirebrush dremmel bit to clean it up good then a squirt of contact cleaner and a quick wipe to condition the surface.

Reshape the spring with a pair of vise grip needle nose pliers and another pair of needle nose pliers so that the bottom spirals are small enough to allow the spring to drop all the way into tailcap.

6 Intellect IB1400 2/3 A from CheapBatteryPacks.

Sleeve them in 3/8" ID X 1/2" OD acrylic tube from Home Depot. Split the tube. Just load it up after charging individually. Charging as a pack will require a clamp.

Pelican PE3854 Hi "Big D" 6V SLA bulb (Roar of the Pelican) from brightguy or Lumenhound. Install it.

UCL or borofloat lens. Replace the original lens.

PerfectMagReflector LOP or lightly stippled reflector. Replace the original reflector.

A Mag 3C is 1 7/8" longer than a 2C but 3Cs are a very nice form factor.

4.30A and 8.09V at start.
4.28A and 7.93V at 10 seconds.
4.15A and 7.85V at 30 seconds.
4.12A and 7.73V at 1 minute and settled down.

That's 1.28V per cell, 31.8476W and 20.38 minutes calculated runtime.

Some good things about a ROP 1400:

1) NiMh chargers. You might already own one. If your location is other than home and your light needs a charge; it's more likely to find a NiMh charger than a Li-Ion charger
2) Easy build.
3) Safe operation. Safe charging. No fear of fiery outgassing.
4) Flexibility. You can run all the 2C 3X123 and 6cell HotWire solution lamps in it, CA1499, CA1057, WA1111, Pelican Big D 6V SLA, Krypton 5C, etc., etc.
5) Expected small initial sag but after that a nice, non-sagging run. IOWs, a fairly flat output.
6) No battery holder. A length of acrylic tube. So, ZIP added resistance from power source.
7) Very nice white temperature color of beam.

I'm getting just over 20 minutes before I notice dimming which is about what a SureFire M6 is rated at but there have been many reports of thermal shutdowns at 10 minutes for them. The ROP 1400 does not experience thermal shutdown. The ROP 1400 also puts out more lumens than does the SFM6.

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
wow, i never realized how much you could put into a flashlight....

Illum_the_nation, why could i not just use that method but make the hose longer for the 3C?

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
great thread, i always wanted to mod my 6d maglite but dont want anything complicated.
Hopefully this isnt too much of a thread jacking but:
Speaking of the ROP mod, I saw from here that you can use 6 d size nimh batteries but I dont know which ones are good quality and dont know where to buy them. Could someone help me out and tell me what to get?

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
so lets just say i wanted to upgrade the bulb for now, how do i know which one to get? LED? any other crazy bulbs that i could get?

Illum

Flashaholic
I warned you about me as a newb for modding you know... :grin2:

though I've always wanted to build a ROP...but mmmm....My budget is a little tight

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
haha, i know

i was planning on spending like $20 and having an awesome light, i guess not..... :(

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the CR123 modifications there is deminishing returns once you go past 3 series CR123 cells. For example you can run a Carley 808 on 4X123. It's OK for short bursts but the voltage is going to drop very quickly. You can even run a Welch Alynn 1185 on 5XCR123 in a Mag 3C with aluminum reflector and a borofloat lens but it's going to draw so hard on those cells they won't be able to handle it for long at all. However, many folks run different bulbs with 3XCR123 with great success.

For Hotwiring an incan we look to overdrive the bulb we choose to run. I don't know of one that works with 3 Cells.

The MagNum stars are an OK upgrade.

For a $20.00 upgrade that LED you are looking at might be a good choice. I don't own one but there are a couple of active threads about them.

sniper

Enlightened
bobby_7 said:
so i am 19 years old, and i am pretty interested in electronics (going to college to be an electronics technician), but i dont have a ton of experience, so i thought i would start doing some small projects. .

bobby: Welcome. Search for some of the Mag modding sites.

Mr. Bulk's flashlight site is one, and there are others, that I can't remember right now. There is lots of info out there, and visit Flashlight reviews.com, too.
I got three or so that I read and re read before trying my 3D magmod. Let me suggest a direct drive mod first, unresistored, with a TWOK, TVIL TVIK (or whatever is in favor currently) emitter. Mine worked better when I removed and disassembled the switch, rather than trying to solder down that small hole.

there are lots of sites, like Lambda, and Photonfanatic, and the Sandwich Shoppe that carry all sorts of goodies, and will sell you all you want, as well as being nice people to deal with. :)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
bobby_7 said:
what about this bulb...

http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/maglite/led/led-upgrade-module.asp

or would it be better to go with one of the maglite white star bulbs or whatever they are called?

depends on your application :thinking:

it goes as follows if you plan to use the LED:
Short runtime=======================||====long runtime
High intensity=================||===========low intensity

In modding, its usually to get the most out of something, say maximum brightness, unless your specializing in making something say for hurricane season where you would need moderate to low light while supplying you with high runtimes.

LEDs require a driver [Such as the micropuck2009, we'll discuss that later] but incandescent lamps can be fired up DD [direct drive] with batteries, hence why its "easy" to mod a Maglite into an ROP...just get a bigger bulb and find someway for the barrel to hold enough batteries to light the bulb...usually rechargeable.

LEDs in numbers can outthrow some incans, but incans can cut throuth fog better than LEDs...:sssh:

In my opinion on the rop,
Short runtime=||==========================long runtime
High intensity=====||=======================low intensity
Since I never modded [yet] or owned an rop, what I know are other peoples posts and description on this site...:ohgeez:

so, it really depends what are you modding it for :)
If your modding just for fun...I guess you can try both and see which one you like best:naughty: :grin2:

oh yes...refer to Doug [CPF User: Quickbeam]'s site
www.flashlightreviews.com to search both the reviews and the mods section, it provides helpful description, ratings, and runtime on the reviews with lots of pictures, for the mod section, it gives you ideas from beginner [1 :huh:] to advanced level mod [3 :eek:]

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
so im between 3 different bulbs right now....the one from action-lights.com, the diamond one that i found on flash-lights.com, or this everLED i found thru searching this forum. which will be the best?

what is direct drive? i searched but couldnt find a good explanation...

i am thinking of changing my barrel to a 2C because there seem to be more mods for that barrel, would that be a wise decision, or should i stick with my 3C one?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diamond made Everleds for them for a while.

Diamond has K2 available but the high output K2 is not out yet as far as I know.

The mag drop in has a heat detection resistor that drops the current when the unit gets hot. Some think that's good. Some prefer the Diamond.

Check out Newbie's beamshots in this MagLed thread.

For drop-in LEDs remember 3D references are compatable with 3C so actually means 3 cells.

3D and 2D Mags are the most often modded with incandescent bulbs. The 3C is probably only second to the 4C in the least most often modded with incandescent bulbs.

I'm partial to the C cell form factor which is probably a minority opinion.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put 3 18500's or 17500's (less runtime) in a 3C Mag and then drop a wa1166 lamp in it. They will need to be wrapped in some type of tubing in order to make them fit snuggly. People often use radiator hose or clear plastic tubing to hold the batteries. Most likely, you'll need to "double click" it to work. Genuine Pilas will not require the double click. The Pila size is 150A and 150S, respectively. It will be brighter than your friend's Mag running on 6AA's.

Be sure to, either, buy genuine Pila batteries, or to make sure you use *protected* li-ion batteries for this mod. The lamp can likely be bought from light-edge.com. The simplest route is to buy a "potted" bulb, which will be a direct replacement for the stock Mag bulb (direct, minus the fact that it needs more than 11 volts to power it properly)

bobby_7

Newly Enlightened
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=544
will this battery work? is it "protected" or do i need this:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=550

if i need that, how would that work?

also, i was looking for a charger but can't seem to find one...will this one work...?
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=465

i found the light, is that light going to be better than LED or could i still go LED with those batteries? i had planned on buying the diamond LED bulb, would that bulb work with these batteries?

will the 18650's work as well?? i can find a charger for them, and i can find protected 18650's.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.all-battery.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=544
will this battery work?

I don't know. I'm sure someone else does.

is it "protected" or do i need this:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=550

if i need that, how would that work?

Interesting Product.

also, i was looking for a charger but can't seem to find one...will this one work...?
http://www.all-battery.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=465

The site says so. I've never used it.

i found the light, is that light going to be better than LED or could i still go LED with those batteries?

You found which light?

i had planned on buying the diamond LED bulb, would that bulb work with these batteries?

I don't know for sure except that you would not want to string them together for an LED drop in. Maybe one would work for an LED drop in designed for 3 cells.

will the 18650's work as well?? i can find a charger for them, and i can find protected 18650's.

I think they are 15mm longer or 18mm diameter 65mm length hence the naming convention of 18650.

JS Burly is a CPFer

AW is a CPFer

I think I only answered on of your questions. Oh well. I gave it a shot.:)