CMG Infinity Ultra MOD

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Has anyone attempted to sand, file, coat, etc the reflector area of the Ultra? I would think that even bare metal would reflect more than the current dark-green coating.

Ted T

Newly Enlightened
I painted mine silver. I can't tell the difference though. I think it would be very difficult to sand off the coating without damaging the led. In retrospect i should have left it alone.
Ted

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design of the LED is such that there is patheticallly little spill light from the LED, unless you are using a very deep reflector (like Impact/Impact 2 style), you are not going to catch much (say 20%> ?) of light to focus it forward.

In retrospect, anyone willing to paint their ARC's reflector area with some easily removable stuff and take beam shots?
grin.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of owners with the old Infinity have cleaned off the paint around the "reflector" area. They have all reported a noticable increase in brightness and beam quality. I didn't clean mine, but after some months of EDC in extremely hot weather and with my corrosive sweat, the paint just fell off by itself (with a little bit of help from me). Oddly enough, the paint on the sides of the body didn't fall off as much. Because I didn't have to sand it off, the surface was very smooth and reflective, much like what you get with a new Arc-AAA. If you do sand it off, you will have to polish it to a smooth reflective surface.