Please Help - Is this a good laser?

F360

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!
First post :popcorn:

I recently bought a 50mw green laser from China. Im wondering if this is your typical green laser (ie good quality, not some fake rip-off).

And on the Danger tag it says

Laser Radiation-Avoid
direct Eye Exposure
==============
LASER DIODE

Wavelength 532nm
Max Output <50mW

I have heard about tuned lasers and to tell the truth I am quite confused. Is this laser good, or does the "Laser Diode" mean its just a LED?

Thanks,
F360

Last edited:

F360

Newly Enlightened
I just read I should use Duracel Pro and Energizer E2s Alkaline batteries for best performance? Maybe this could get them back to the brightness they were 1 week ago? (minimal use, so I doubt it is the batteries, I think the laser has gone faulty?)

N8YWF

Newly Enlightened
That's a Newwish laser. I think most places that sell them just put stickers that say <20mw and higher on a <5mw just to make more money.

I figure they just have a bunch of bogus stickers printed up at some print shop and stick them on some <5mw lasers. Then they make a killing on Ebay.

There are some threads here about the Newwish and how to mod them. Here's a website that shows how to do it but the odds are that you will break it trying to get it apart.
http://www.plans-kits.com/lasers.html

F360

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments, that link was great!

I bought that straight from the manufacturer in China, so I hope the label is correct :awman:

Also, they are all working great now as the Energizer E2 Lithiums are great!

N8YWF

Newly Enlightened
F360 said:
Thanks for the comments, that link was great!

I bought that straight from the manufacturer in China, so I hope the label is correct :awman:

Also, they are all working great now as the Energizer E2 Lithiums are great!

You might want to do what I did. Buy some 1000 mah NiMH AAA batteries. Then you can always keep some fresh batteries on hand to put in it.

I bought some 2900 mah NiMH AA's when I bought my AAA's so I would have some nice batteries for my PGL-III-A's when I get them. :grin2:

F360

Newly Enlightened
If buying a Newwish from the factory, is it safe to assume that a 50mw is 50mw, and a 5mw is a 5mw (within reason of course +-5mw). Or is the Newwish factory just as bad as the ebay scammers?

Thanks!

Edit: And also, is a 50mw Newwish the same as a 50mw Leadlight, which is the same as a 50mw LightVision? Or do all vary? Which is the best/brightest?

Last edited:

nathanb

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a <5mW laser (my first) off eBay that looks exactly like that (minus the output text on the label of course). It is indeed a Newwish.

I haven't tested the power but I'm assuming that it's correct. Hopefully they didn't just take a <5mW and re-label it as someone else mentioned, and they just use the same case for both..