Distinguishing Luxeons

xdanx

Enlightened
I just got an Orb Raw and can't tell if it is a 1W or a 3W. How can I tell the difference? Are 3W's bigger?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any way to tell the difference between a Lux I and III. If the drive levels between those two orbs are different, you should be able to tell by measuring the draw, but I don't have an orb and am not sure how it goes togather, so it might be tough to measure.

schiesz

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LuxeonI and LuxeonIII are probably exactly the same animal, just classified (or binned) at differing currents.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's on a star board, the Lux III will be on a thick, two-part (1/16" PCB on 1/16" aluminium) star board and have wide power leads. The Lux I will be on a 1/16" total thickness star board and will have thin power leads.

If it's just the bare emitter, there's no way to tell.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turn it on. If it lasts 10 mins and get quite hot, it's a 3watt. If it lasts 30 mins and gets a bit warm, it's a 1watt.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello

the luxeon III star is thicker than an luxeon I, also the legs on the luxeon III emitter are thicker than the luxeon I`s legs.

see the picture.

The picture is from another CPF post.

starIII.jpg

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the lux is mounted on a star in the Orb Raw? I didn't think there was room for it in there...

schiesz

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a lux III that's been removed from the star board.

That, or the manufacturer of the orb raw is getting Lux IIIs with thick power leads as a special order from Lumileds.