Lights for first time caving?

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of booking myself on a long weekends caving course for novices this summer and was wondering about the kitlist from the companies website. On the subject of light it suggests I need to bring 'A reliable lamp'. Okay, I understand that this a supervised course for complete novices and that the leaders will probably have numerous sources of light but even before my flashaholism started I wouldnt have contemplated going into a cave with only one light source
thumbsdown.gif

After a bit of soul searching I've decided that I'm probably scared of the dark. Not the usual night-time outdoors dark but probably the 'being 100m underground' sort of dark
rolleye11.gif

So, my question is how many lights is considered safe/appropriate and can I get away without spending any more money? I believe the weekend involves about 16 hours underground.

I was thinking about taking a couple of head torches. An old Petzl Zoom and an Energizer 2white/1red led setup. I thought that I would back these up with an Elektrolumens Anglelux (Clips on my rucksack strap) and a Princeton Tec20 with a SMJLED fitted. Too much? Not enough? Not appropriate? Would it be total paranoia to take a Pak-lite too?

Please dont post links to Stenlight, I already know how much they cost
yellowlaugh.gif

Cheers,
Simon

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
How about an eternalight? Massive battery life, floats, watertight and is fairly rugged. Should be good in an emergency.
Review here.
Have a good time and stay safe.

Scythe

simonsays said:
I'm thinking of booking myself on a long weekends caving course for novices this summer and was wondering about the kitlist from the companies website. On the subject of light it suggests I need to bring 'A reliable lamp'. Okay, I understand that this a supervised course for complete novices and that the leaders will probably have numerous sources of light but even before my flashaholism started I wouldnt have contemplated going into a cave with only one light source
thumbsdown.gif

After a bit of soul searching I've decided that I'm probably scared of the dark. Not the usual night-time outdoors dark but probably the 'being 100m underground' sort of dark
rolleye11.gif

So, my question is how many lights is considered safe/appropriate and can I get away without spending any more money? I believe the weekend involves about 16 hours underground.

I was thinking about taking a couple of head torches. An old Petzl Zoom and an Energizer 2white/1red led setup. I thought that I would back these up with an Elektrolumens Anglelux (Clips on my rucksack strap) and a Princeton Tec20 with a SMJLED fitted. Too much? Not enough? Not appropriate? Would it be total paranoia to take a Pak-lite too?

Please dont post links to Stenlight, I already know how much they cost
yellowlaugh.gif

Cheers,
Simon

In the total darkness, you really don't need that much light to see where you are going. Brinkmann 2AA light is pretty good. One set of batteries is good for around 24 hours of use.

Have three lights with you.