Lambda Illuminator 5W

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
After much testing, I think I've found the 2C cell Brinkmann to my liking the best. Again, the Brinkmann rubber grips always get points right away (gets real cold here). Although not as tightly focused as the MagLite reflector, the 2C reflector makes a smooth beam with good throw. Also, the side barrel clickie switch with momentary on is a welcome feature.

li5a.jpg

While not the little pocket carry light the Illuminator next to it is, the 2C is fairly small and comfortable to hold. Heavy aluminum construction provides enough mass and surface area to keep the 5 watt Luxeon nice and cool at full power and beyond. The SE needs to be mounted at the proper height offset to get the perfect focus.

li5e.jpg

Not much fair about the comparison, but the little 2AA Illuminator puts up a vain fight against it's new big brother.

li5d.jpg

The wall shot really shows the difference here. The 2AA Illuminator is great for looking behind things, like when wireing the stereo up, and other such tasks like it was designed to handle. But it's new big brother Mr. LI5 can take on much bigger chores as a true primary EDC.

I must say Lumileds really deserves some credit here, as these new 5W Luxeons are just the purest and brightest white light source I've ever seen. Even the newer 1 watt SEs are simply amazing in color and brightness.

AND, No, I'm not selling these, yet. A lot more pre-work needs to be done, and 5 watt parts are scarce right now. This is just a look at what could be possible........
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... time to find extra work to fund this hobby... the modders here are getting me salivating....

bucken

Enlightened
AWESOME!
xyxthumbs.gif

Put me down for one, please...
(edit) OOPS!
kopfpatsch.gif

Just noticed that they're not for sale yet. Would prefer something smaller but, if this is what it takes to get decent power, I'm still in...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Man, looks like I'LL be getting in line for one of these -- if and when a line ever forms...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is running off of 2 C cells not a battery pack right? Is there any regulation? I ask 'cause I didn't think 2 Cs could drive a 5W like that. It sure does look white. Very nice!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
{Intense Salivation}

Please put me on the list if you are keeping one.

One question for anyone who might know: Do these Brinkmanns fit in the Mag-Lite belt holders?? There is a C cell version now.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, Please put me on your list if and when you get one formed up! I'm interested in one when you have time to roll them out.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lambda:

AND, No, I'm not selling these, yet. A lot more pre-work needs to be done, and 5 watt parts are scarce right now. This is just a look at what could be possible........
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
frown.gif
icon8.gif
icon8.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Alan

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Lambda,

My soon-to-be top drawer LED light will be a KL3 on a 9P.

The curve for this is flat out to 7.5 hours at about 500cd (if I recall correctly).

I HOPE you'll work on the regulator so that the output of the new 5W is much flatter than the standard Illuminator. That's one of the major 'good things' about the Arc LS.

Cheers,

Richard

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda,

Isn't it great to know you have customers just waiting to buy your stuff!

Count me in on one also, whenever you are ready!

MicroE

Enlightened
Originally posted by Icebreak:
That is running off of 2 C cells not a battery pack right? Is there any regulation? I ask 'cause I didn't think 2 Cs could drive a 5W like that. It sure does look white. Very nice!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lamda hasn't answered so I'll chime in.
Either there is a regulator inside or the battery pack has been modified. You are correct, 2C cells will only produce 3V, well under the forward voltage of the 5W Luxeon.
I can't see a PC board in the pics so I'm going to guess that he is using 123's to power this light. (I have been wrong before, many times--Lambda could have stuffed a board inside the switch area but it seems a shame to pull out the original switch).---Marc

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I missed the 1W light, so I'm speaking up early this time. Lambda, if you make these for sale please put me on the list. --Thanks

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda - I'm an incandescent light guy, but quickly seeing the positive side of LED's. I have very little knowlege with the LED's, but from what I've seen I'm guessing this 5w Luxeon/Brinkmann mod you're making will be the king of led lights. I realize it's a 5w led, but what would you say the light output of it is equal to at, let's say 25feet, 50feet, and 200feet. Would it be brighter than a 8aaDB or a 4d Mag overdriving a 5cell KPR103, or a PT Surge? Thanks for giving me a reference point.