Maglite LED questions and advice.

BusaRider

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I'm currently working for IDOC but it looks as if I may soon have a reserve job as a police officer. I have an Inova T4 that I love but I'd like two more lights. One that I can flood with so that the light isn't so intense during traffic stops (currently considering the Maglite 2D LED) and one that throws a brighter hotspot further than my T4 (currently considering the striker).

My question is, are these two lights even worth considering? I can't find out much on the Maglite but I have gotten to play with one. With the tightest focus the hotspot (though bluer and smaller than the T4) is actually brighter than my Inova. I however do not know anything about battery life or reliability. I saw zero anything regarding a heat sink. Also, I had someone tell me there was a 5 watt LED that put out considerably more light than the 3 watt unit that Mag is using. Is this true and is it as good as I've been told?

Well, any opinions you can give on the maglite would be appreciated. I've found some stuff on the Striker on FLR but havn't heard much from regular users on the board or elsewhere.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery life and reliability will be there.
Never heard of a 5 watt module for the Mag. You wouldn't get the true power of a 5 watt in a stock version anyways with the way it's configured to deal with heat coming off the module, that is unless the 5 watt module came with a heatsink.

This thread provides just about any info you'll need on The MagLED:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119665

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
74 bucks..hmm

I'd look at it this way: LEO's have been getting by with stock incan Mags for awhile and a 3 watt MagLED definitely beats them.

So for that price, and if it was my money, I'd get a MagLED (33.00) leave it stock and add a Surefire G2 (around 35.00)

You can also get a G&P Lux V replacement head if you decide to later on for that Surefire G2.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux5.htm

or even a 3 watt version
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

Something to consider.

Nomad

Enlightened
Home Depot has the MAG LEDS for $29.98, and the LED only upgrades for $15.98 I do believe (I might be off by a penny or two, I just know it was $29.9something and $15.9something). I was just there tonight and they had 'em.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to see what kind of equipment is in the police car before considering additional equipment. It will vary from department to department, but many police cars already have a rechargeable light, like a Streamlight SL-20 or Mag Charger.

BusaRider

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
You might want to see what kind of equipment is in the police car before considering additional equipment. It will vary from department to department, but many police cars already have a rechargeable light, like a Streamlight SL-20 or Mag Charger.

I'm already aware of what is in the car. I've done many ride alongs and its a small department. I've seen the equipment installed into the cars I would be in.

You are correct though, the cars belonging to the full time officers have Mag Chargers installed.