Buying componants.

Madz

Enlightened
Has anyone bought anyhing from roithner-laser.com? what is their minimum purchase amounts for the parts? and for some reason the pdf shows a "," in the price listings instead of a decimal. I assume that is a typo(even though its consistant thoughout the document.). Do the driver PCB's come with the IC's and resistors already build on? or is it a empty pcb?

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Madz said:
and for some reason the pdf shows a "," in the price listings instead of a decimal. I assume that is a typo(even though its consistant thoughout the document.).
That means they are in Europe; that's how they do decimals there... :grin2:

Madz

Enlightened
Ah, i did not know that. Have you bought from this compnay before though? ANyone know if they have good customer service and such?

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Nope, I have to classify myself as an eBay junkie... :ohgeez: and... well, I'll leave it at that. Both lasers you see in my sig I found on eBay. :grin2: The green DPSS is from ExtrememLasers, and the blue one I have yet to receive is from a personal seller.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have bought from them ... not lasers, but LEDs and stuff. Expensive, especially shipping. But fast and good service and good communications.
They're situated in Austria.
bernhard

Madz

Enlightened
What is a better company to go through for buying componants? That is the only onei could find.

Steve

Newly Enlightened
http://www.mfgcn.com/ has the best prices on laser components anywhere. They import from China and sell to many laser manufacturers. I have bought many red laser modules from them with good results. Located in Texas. They are on Ebay as well.

Steve

Madz

Enlightened
If i was going to pump up a LeadLight for instance. If i wanted to get it to go up to 300mW output is the only limiting factor really the diode and power source and maybe the Driver IC. from what i understand the lenses and crystal are not specified to have a maximum output. So if i wanted to take atlasnovas LeadLight and make it a powerhouse. Other then getting a better diode and different batteries. Is there any new parts I need for the PCB?

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
Depending on the new diode you get, you may need a new board altogether, as these boards usually supply 300-400ma. some diodes may need more than that (especially above 500mw). Also, the crystal is a weak link in this, as they can be damaged with too much power. I don't know the specifics of the ones used in leadlights, but I guess they're not capable of more than 500mw-1w. Also, more powerfull diodes come in 9mm casing, not the 5.6mm used in pointers, so you may need a new casing as well. Having come this far, you may want to change the battery type for more powerfull ones, say CR123 or D cells, so you won't need to change them so often, this, of course, requires a new case as well.

So, all in all, you may be better off getting everything new :awman:. Again, it depends on what your intentions are. You could probably swap a 250mw diode with a 500 mw without any further modification, but increasing the power beyond that may require some major modding.

In my oppinion, there's no way you can get 300mw of green output from a leadlight, I'd venture to say the max would be around 100-150mw. For this, you'll need a very good set of crystals, and a 500mw IR diode. But the downside is the duty cycle, as there's not much heat dissipation from these pointers. You'll risk burning the diode, or more likly, the crystals.

Last edited:

Madz

Enlightened
I have that PGL IIIA coming from mass order sometime soon. since that uses a 1W diode. Does that mean i can get it up to around 300mW by just modding the circuit board. I hear the crystel set those use is pretty good and i have heard the lense is good as well.

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Madz said:
I have that PGL IIIA coming from mass order sometime soon. since that uses a 1W diode. Does that mean i can get it up to around 300mW by just modding the circuit board. I hear the crystel set those use is pretty good and i have heard the lense is good as well.

Hi Madz,
The 80mW PGL IIIA from CNI only uses a 500mW IR diode, not a 1-Watt diode. I read the teardown report on this unit a couple of weeks ago. You don't need the report to verify that for yourself. When you get it, just measure the current. A 1 Watt will use an amp of current, a pair of AA cells can't do an amp and still keep the load voltage high enough to run but a couple of minutes at most. Nothing wrong with a 500mW IR diode though, it uses less current (great for AA cells) and can provide enough IR for 100mW output. Anyway to answer your question, no even if it had a 1 Watt or even 2 Watt diode and you mod it to drive more current it won't get much over 100mW probably anyway. The real determining factor is the crystal size and quality (MCA), not the diode, the diode is the easy part. Getting a high quality crystal set that is perfectly aligned and able to dissipate all the heat that the diode sends it's way is what's needed.

Good luck with your PGL-IIIA, It's a good laser pfor the price and I think you'll like it; and if the fellow doing the group buy is really getting them to fix the large divergence, you'll love it.

Jack