Do we deserve BIG Led Flashlight Discounts?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
You know, this board is surprisingly active - has been for years. I've no doubt the conversations here sell a LOT of flashlights. We bring each other to a fever pitch that results in purchases I doubt would have taken place otherwise.

Just seems to me like member of this board should be getting some SCREAMING discounts/deals. Yes, I'm aware of the kind folks who do offer candlepowerforum members discounts - but I believe we deserve MUCH MORE.

carrot

Flashaholic
I aught to get commission from SF for talking about my beloved A2 so much. Or at least get another A2.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only do I deserve bigger discounts on flashlights, I think I also deserve more interest in my savings accounts, and lower prices at the Supermarket, and a shorter check out line at Fry's, and....

I just wish I could get the vendors to agree.....:laughing:

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
I aught to get commission from SF for talking about my beloved A2 so much. Or at least get another A2.

heh heh. commissions all around!!! Instead of a free light, I'd kinda like to see a special guided tour of their facilities offered to CPF members as an appreciation type of thing. Wouldnt cost them a cent, and it'd be something we'd never forget.

Reasonable request?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do reviews. They might send you their next light free. Even if you have to return them, you get to play with them before parting with cash to buy. Nothing beats hands on in determining if a light is suitable for your needs.

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have saved lots on buying Flashlights through this Forum than I would
buying at the over inflated prices I have seen in some department stores

Flic

Enlightened
Sgaterboy said:
heh heh. commissions all around!!! Instead of a free light, I'd kinda like to see a special guided tour of their facilities offered to CPF members as an appreciation type of thing. Wouldnt cost them a cent, and it'd be something we'd never forget.

Reasonable request?

The tour might not cost them anything, but who's going to cover the plane fare to China/Taiwan?

savumaki

Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
I have saved lots on buying Flashlights through this Forum than I would
buying at the over inflated prices I have seen in some department stores

My thoughts also BUT my wife suggests that I would save a WHOLE bunch more if I didn't add to the collection; tsk, tsk, such a narrow outlook :drool:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Macaw said:
And poop free parrots!

If that happened , I might actually have a poop free shirt !

Discounts would be great but let's not forget to give credit where credit is due. I'm just a participant, what I'd really like to see is more manufacturer sponsored ads supporting the board.

If manufacturers were smart they might woo cpfers in lots of little ways that can influence the perception of their products in a very positive way. T-shirts, contests, nicknacks or "Schwag" as they call it (not the green kind) is fun and usually good for bidness.

As Torch_Boy said , I've also saved alot on purchases made because of info gathered here so I'd rather see dealers offer a donation to CPF for every purchase by cpfers than personal discount.

There is absolutely no doubt that alot of businesses owe a big debt to candlepowerforums for their success.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Discounts are nice, but going as far as "deserving" them? I'm not so sure.

AFAIK, some of these folks are actually not making a lot of money per item when they offer these discounts.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know. I bet a lot of manufactures are annoyed that they can't sell their overpriced crap because of all the good info on this board.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
greenLED said:
Discounts are nice, but going as far as "deserving" them? I'm not so sure.

AFAIK, some of these folks are actually not making a lot of money per item when they offer these discounts.

Thats why the manufacturers should give us all kinds of cool stuff... Not the vendors (even tho I wouldn't mind if they did)...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
They need to start selling stuff out of the back doors of the Chinese factories like they do on eBay. And don't let some of those guys tell you they aren't making anything when the margins are often in the 1000% plus neighborhood (yes, that was one thousand percent plus).

greenLED said:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will let my dogs poop as long as they dont ask me to do that squeeze the anal gland thing they showed on Dirty Jobs...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I hope this is along the lines of this thread however have long wondered if CPF members alond could support a maker with only our purchases.

I remember thinking at first that there was no way we alone could support a dealer and allow enough profit to run a business solely on our sales.....well now I tend to wonder if I was wrong as I have seen some huge lists on certain pre-sign up products.

Many dealers give us good discounts however surely they have other customers besides us or they would go broke I believe. I am basing my assumptions on the days before I was a member here. I knew nothing of this flashlight world nor of the many products available. I assume that many here were the same way as well so if dealers give steep discounts to us and we make up say 80% of their customer base could they keep going as a business?

I do feel if we alone support a dealer that we should have some form of special deal however surely there is a fine line between deal and going out of business. Just my thoughts so does anyone else agree that we alone could provide enough sales to a dealer to allow them to survive and do it well by our purchases alone?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Sounds like the majority don't think CPF members deserve BIG discounts. I can't argue with that - members have spoken.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF has almost 20k members, but mebe only a few ks are active. Even the biggest light sales I see about 500-600 purchases altogether (ppl buying multiples usually and not really 500 members buying).

This is not bad but for a company to really survive or grow like Maglite, it is only a negligible amount. The general consumer don't know we exist. So the buzz we create here does nothing much to reach the rest of the general population.

Now IF millions of people read this forums and are influenced by what we say and review, then maybe we deserve more. But until then, I think we are already getting reasonably great perks and dealing with the toppest-notch people here. As many have attested, these are one of the most hospitable and honest forums around.