Homemade LS Optics Holder

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured out a way to make an optics holder for the Luxeon Star.

It is very simple, even too simple. Get some 3/4" copper pipe. Use a small pipe cutter to cut off a piece of pipe, exactly .540. When you cut off a piece, it will make a lip on the inside. Leave it there, on one end. That will fit perfectly on the optics. If you cut the piece the correct length, when you epoxy it in place, it will hold the optics on firmly. If you cut the copper piece too long, the optics will be loose, so you will have to file it. That's all there is to it. I plan to paint it, either white or black.

Here's a pic:

Optics_Holder.1.jpg

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat! What is the ID of 3/4" copper pipe? [Not as dumb a question as it might sound]. I presume it is large enough that it doesn't short the solder pads on the Star board.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S:

Not a dumb question at all. I was surprised that PVC tubing will accomodate batteries that are wider than the nominal ID of the tube will fit into 1/2" and 3/4 " tubing. (A's into 1/2" and C's in 3/4"). A's are 17/25.4" wide and C's are 23/25.4" wide.

I don't know the answer, as I don't have any 3/4" copper tube lying around.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Doug S:
Neat! What is the ID of 3/4" copper pipe? [Not as dumb a question as it might sound]. I presume it is large enough that it doesn't short the solder pads on the Star board.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I use this in conjuction with a bare emitter. I haven't tried it with a star type yet. The I.D. is .75". I'll check it out tonight.

Wayne

Starlight

Enlightened
Pipe sizes are ID up to 12", then switch to OD at 14". Tubing sizes are not the same as pipe, make sure you get copper PIPE.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Starlight:
Pipe sizes are ID up to 12", then switch to OD at 14". Tubing sizes are not the same as pipe, make sure you get copper PIPE.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I will take a measurement tonight. It is common household 3/4" copper plumbing pipe. I purchased it at Home Depot. It is not copper tubing.

Wayne

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Starlight:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oopps! Forgot about the switch at 14" [don't deal with those sizes very often]. Thanks!

Dan

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
I will take a measurement tonight. It is common household 3/4" copper plumbing pipe. I purchased it at Home Depot. It is not copper tubing.

Wayne
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Wayne. Don't bother. I had to run an errand anyway so I stopped by Home Depot and checked it myself:
3/4" ID=20.7mm(0.815") OD=22.0mm(0.866")
I can see why you leave the burr from the cutter in place, otherwise the optic would fall through.
Other dimensions for those who care:
1/2" copper ID=14.8mm(0.583") OD=15.8mm(0.622")
1/2" repair sleeve ID=16.2mm(0.638") OD=17.6mm(0.693")
My contribution to the pipe/tube dimension discussion is that for a given product, ID is always less than OD.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S:

There must be an Escher painting somewhere that tries to show an OD that becomes narower than the ID.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello,

hee hee lumlux. MC Escher probably contemplated
that at some point too in his 'warped' sense
of 2d views of 3d objects, or would this be
too simple? After all, if you can show a stair
case that goes both up AND down at the same
time you've pretty much done it all by defying
gravity :)
Im betting, if he could do a modern drawing,
it would be of a five watt LS that puts out
more light energy then it receives as input,
and more importantly, lasts a full 100,000
hours before significant light output degradation
:)

--Al

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was I to do?
confused.gif
icon3.gif
I ran out of optics holders?
blush.gif
mad.gif
Aha! The homemade copper optics holder!
icon14.gif

Copper.Optics.Holder.jpg

It seems that the beam is improved using these optics holders. It is more centered and tighter, with less sidespill. More of the light goes forward. I measured 560 lux from 1 meter, with not so fresh alkalines. Outside, it definately throws farther. I think this is because the optics are closer to the emitter.

Beamshot:

Copper.Optics.Holder.Beamshot.jpg

For those of us who want to use optics with an LS emitter, this might be a good way to go. I have tried to get the black plastic holders to no avail.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Tomas

Banned
Those look really great, Wayne! Just wondering if by chance they might increase heat transfer (a slight bit) from the LS to the outside world . . .
smile.gif

tomsig01.gif