My BB 500 first impressions

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my two BB 500s today. Very impressed with the quality of workmanship as was with the BB 400. Two different beasts though. One is slanted towards a violet tint and the other is slanted towards a greenish tint although not as horrible certainly as Luxeon's past. The one with the violet tint is clearly brighter then the one with the green tint. In fact I think my BB400 is brighter then the one with the green tint. Any way to know whether a 500 for sure? All three lights are keepers although the greenish one will most likely be the one designated as a Christmas gift to the much less critical recipient. The only real less positive thing I can say is that the tolerance between on and off is very tight. I would say less then 1/8th of a turn from the bezel being tightened all the way down until it goes on. None of the three are quite as bright as my Surefire KL1 but the KL1 doesn't just have a violet tint, it has a violet beam, period.

Ordered a few of the Kroll tail cap switches as well. These I am definitely not impressed with.
They appear to me to be a bit cheaply made and if you are not gentle and push straight down on the switch, they tend to not shut off that easily. I think I'll stick with the mag stock tailcap.

Thank you Wayne for making these possible. Can't wait for high dome and 5W modifications!

JohnG

Enlightened
I've noticed the same thing with my Lambda Ill Pill. 1/8 turn from off to on.
I've stuck a piece of scotch tape between the body and head to keep it from accidentally firing up.
Do you think adding a second clear lens would push the pill back enough to make a difference?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My BB 500 is slightly greenish as well but is well centered. I was more impressed with the kroll cap than what I thought I would be. It requires pretty heavy thumb pressure to activate so I feel fairly safe carrying it in a pouch. I also noticed the 1/8 turn for activation. It seems to make the kroll cap nearly required. I posted photos in the LED forum. Very nice light.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I think Brinkmann 2AA is a much platform for drop-in. It's too bad that Brinkmann 2AA is not available overseas:-(

Alan

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if I can get them in bulk price...

Won't REI ship overseas? They are only $9.99?? or somthing like that over there. Cheapest price I've found.

www.rei.com

Wayne

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is good idea to have Legend 2AA/3AA and its holster on your webstore. Besides, I think 3AA will be very popular when your Wizard series become available:)

Alan