police use?

russeus

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i am spanish, am looking for a flashlight for police use, but that does not not cost much money, i am thinking about fenix, nuwai, streamlight, etc. led or xenon; whatever lumens minimum?, surefire is good but is much money.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Forgive me for expressing an opinion but a good flashlight for your personal use carrying out law enforcement duties is worth spending money on. The old adage that you get what you pay for is especially true for something that may well save your life one day.

May I ask what exactly you have in mind for using your light for? If it is for simple searches at close distance then there are many lights that may fit the bill and some are not very expensive. If you envision something that will be required for SAR or illuminating objects at a distance then the choices are reduced. Finally if your need is tactical then your choices are very limited and there are very few lights that will be 100% reliable and effective without spending serious money.

If you can tell us a bit more about what you need the light for exactly then I'm sure many of the LEO's on this forum will be able to suggest something appropriate?

Doug

slmpd6454

Newly Enlightened
I use a surefire 9AN rechargeable for every day duty use. I also carry the surefire M3 for room clearing and other tacticle operations. They are more exspensive the the Streamlight's but they are worth the money. Lifetime warrenty with excellent service. If you call surefire direct and speak to the law enforcement division they will give a 20-25% discount on all products with the exception of batteries upon showing proof of law enforcement employment. I have had my two lights for 5 years now and have had no problems. I have had a few bulbs break and have just sent it in to surefire and they have replaced it free of charge, no questions asked.

Streamlights are cheaper and are very durable although beam quality and lumen output are not as good as the surefire. I don't know of the warrenty and service quality as I have never owned one.

I work in a department with 1300 police officers and a majority carry the streamlight. Main reason... price. But many wish they would of spent the extra dollars when they see my light in the field.

Both are good light companies, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Blazer

Enlightened
For Police use I find it is practical to carry more than one light. That way, depending on circumstances you will be prepared.

dougmccoy was right, for police use it's worth spending the money. Don't want your light to fail at the worst moment.

For large areas, traffic stops, night time when I need lots of light I alternate between two lights. My SL-20X-LED which also has the LED function for vehicle searches or lower lighting needs. A very versatile flashlight all round, a little big for carrying on your person so it usually stays in the car or bag until needed. Rechargeable so no need to carry extra batteries all the time. Depending on area it's in the $150 Canadian range. I also use my MagCharger (slightly modified) for this purpose, although with my modifications it's getting a little too bright for interior vehicle searches, but great for large areas outdoor at night.

For on the duty belt/person, two lights are practical. I have a Streamlight Strion, rechargeable, perfect size for the belt, always with me. Has good throw and spill, power if needed, and rechargeable so no need to worry about batteries. Adjustable beam for throw or flood depending on the need. Tactical tailcap switch. Momentary on (tailcap switch) or constant on (Twisty tailcap). depending on area it's in the $100 Canadian range.

On the belt as a backup, Pelican M6-LED. Good runtime if I need light for a long time. I figure if I burn through my Strion then I'm going to be needing light for an extended period so the LED on the M6 is great. As well, it can hold it's own for throw (not the best, but adequate). Great light for about $60

And as a loaner/backup I have a Streamlight Stinger XT in the duty bag. This is a rechargeable with some good throw/power. Rechargeable. Variable focus beam for throw or flood. Nice size can be thrown in pocket when not needed. About $100 Canadian.

So my philosophy is to be prepared for everything with a variety of flashlights. A Surefire 6P could easliy replace the Strion on my belt, but with primary 123 batteries, it's a little more costly to run, however a dependable light.

The primary concern with any duty light is dependability and reliability. It cannot fail at the wrong time.

russeus

Newly Enlightened
rapidity in its answers thanks, the use is complementary to the official light, in order to take in the belt, for that reason i don´t want to spend much money

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
On my duty belt I carry a Gladius all the time and an UltraStinger at night. I recommend them both, but that doesn't help if they're too much $ for you.

Maybe a PolyStinger??? I think they're relatively cheap.

russeus

Newly Enlightened
i do not want to spend so much, because i am going to also buy one safariland 6820, one bag and some thing

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
russeus said:
i do not want to spend so much, because i am going to also buy one safariland 6820, one bag and some thing

I agree with Doug...you don't cheap out on your duty gear, regardless of whatever other equipment you're saving money for.

Buy your 6820, your bag and your "some thing", and then save money for a high-quality flashlight -- especially since it will be a backup. You should be able to trust all your equipment equally. Your backup can become your primary and you still may have to rely on it.

JM-99

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2 is cheap and reliable, get one in black so it blends well with your gear. Lighthound.com and opticsHQ.com have great prices and ship to europe without charging too much. opticsHQ.com offer discounts to members of this forum, check out the dealers section and look at the CPF specials for how to get lower prices. Both dealer are excellent to deal with and respond quickly to questions by e-mail.

Wolf-eyes are also good lights and are used by many police officers on this forum. Pacific Tactical solutions have reduced prices for forum members and ship to Europe.

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is for infrequent usage, both the Streamlight Scorpion, Surefire G2, and Pelican M6 are reliable and rugged enough for public safety duty. The one cost that you do have to factor in is the cost of the CR123 batteries. In the U.S., the Streamlight Stinger series and Strion are both popular for lights to be carried on a utility belt and both are rechargeable; the added cost (a little more than twice as much,) is recovered in the ability to recharge the batteries over the cost of the CR123 batteries.

russeus said:
rapidity in its answers thanks, the use is complementary to the official light, in order to take in the belt, for that reason i don´t want to spend much money

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
russeus said:
ok, i hear and i will think east subject to you, i will save and when it can i buy.

Very wise, Sir...

As for recommendations, like others have, I would recommend the G2. Or the G2Z...I have both and they are both really nice.

If you can find a nice, used 6R see if you can pick one up for a good price. It is nice because you can use it with primaries as a backup or with the rechargeable B65 as your regular duty light.

Good luck...I think you'd be happy with a G2 or G2Z in any case...

JM-99

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
I would also suggest the surefire G2, but if you dont want to spend money for batteries and the occasional bulb a rechargeable LED light (streamlight) would be good. Just my .02 dollars :)

Illum

Flashaholic
Streamlight Maxfire LX [Basically a G2 for $30, really depends on where you live, there are Walmarts around that will sell them around $20-25]

Streamlight Scorpion [Xenon]

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh?

Brinkmann makes the Maxfire LX and it sells for $17 (Target) to $20 (Wal*Mart). Streamlight does make/import the Scorpion though.

The Surefire G2 sells for about $36 (prix fixe by Surefire)

Illum_the_nation said:
Streamlight Maxfire LX [Basically a G2 for $30, really depends on where you live, there are Walmarts around that will sell them around $20-25]

Streamlight Scorpion [Xenon]

carrot

Flashaholic
I'll just echo what the others have said. A Surefire G2 is a good backup light, especially since the lithium batteries have a shelf life of 10 years, and you might not need the G2 from your belt in several years if you use your official issue light. By the way... welcome to CPF.

russeus

Newly Enlightened
thanks to all for yours posts and thanks for the welcome. stays being helpful, i will not forget surefire nor streamlight, they are economic prices. i have said i look for a light that is complement of the official to take in the belt. finally, i ask led or xenon?. thanks for everything.

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
Although it gets hammered here, it is hard to beat a Magcharger for Police work.

Pretty cheap for what you get.
I just added an extra one for my vehicle with 12 volt charger.
I have bet my life on one several times in the past and it NEVER let me down.
See what is available where you are, the Stingers are good also and lighter.
This site has great info to upgrade and get fantastic amounts of light with modifications. Technical level way above me.
The Magcharger is heavy but if it rides in vehicle, that is non-issue.
What can you get parts for where you are?
Actually, I have found the several China forgeries are worth the money.
I have leds from them that are fantastic and when I walk I keep one LED version in my 511 vest along with pepper spray and Colt 38.
HEH HEH
Suprise, suprise.
A Magcharger or Mag converted to 3W led makes a handy impact weapon of opportunity. Also have Benchmark knife in vest.
I am old but ready to handle any problem that comes up.
I still train Police and Security forces so have to at least act like I know what I am doing. Big difference between lights for fun and bragging rights and using one that may determine if you go home or not.
If it gets real serious, my Bushmaster with Surefire 951 is ready.
Got lots of goodies on it also. Especially Eotech 552.