Extreme Low Output LED

ruledpaper

Newly Enlightened
So my latest attempted aquisition, in keeping with my current obsession with really small lights (arc aaa. glo-toob, microlight freedom, ect.) is a light that:

Is very small
Pretty dim (think covert mapreading)
Very long running
Waterproof and extremely durable (on par with the arc)

This hasn't been easy for me to find, everythings about getting brighter and brighter. I like the dimability of the freedom, but its just not tough enough for my tastes. Actually, the Tritium Variable Brightness Torch would be ideal, if it wasn't so expensive and I can't seem to find a dealer to buy it from.

A hundred flashaholic's heads are better than one.

mccavazos

Enlightened
The closest thing I can think of is the orginal CMG Infinity (not the ultra model). Its larger than an ARC AAA. May have to post in bst to get one

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A couple of the older lights immediately come to mind, the CMG/Gerber Sonic and the original CMG Infinity Task Light.

Geoff

ruledpaper

Newly Enlightened
A rummage through my "junk" drawer found a cmg infinity ultra. Too bad I don't have the infinity.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
photon 3's in low mode have hundreds of hours of battery life and are quite dim. You can set it to start in low mode very easily as well.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Gerber IU lasts 6+ days continuous on a fresh alkaline with very good light (surprised me how bright it was). The beam is floody and very even with a defined cutoff, I really like the beam.

My KeyMate has more throw than the Gerber IU. It was about the same brightness, maybe a little less bright, than the IU stock. I modded my KeyMate with a Nichia CS for more output and a less blue beam (now more yellow and green, which I prefer). Runtime's great...haven't tested it, but it lasts a long time.
Just FYI, but the link to SZwholesale for the AG13 batteries is for wholesale only...you have to pay for shipping which makes it more expensive. Dae doesn't offer the AG13s on his retail site (which has free shipping). I know another site that sells AG13s for $1.75 for 10 or LR44s for $2 for 10, so still cheap.

If you want really dim, just go to RadioShack, Fry's, or your local electronics supply store, pick up one of the normal "high intensity" LEDs (they come in various colors, red, green, blue, etc.), get a small tube from the hardware store and you can make your own really dim light. Those 5mm LEDs sold by the stores are very dim relative to Nichias and the other higher-flux 5mm ones available on CPF (tho, before I knew of Nichias, I thought those were bright).

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
I have a CMG Infinity that I don't use anymore. Let me know if you want it.

rider

Newly Enlightened
The old CMG Infinity with black resistive coating on the (+) terminal will get really, really dim and run for nearly a week.

I've got one I use and one NIB as a spare.

ruledpaper

Newly Enlightened
Chucula said:
photon 3's in low mode have hundreds of hours of battery life and are quite dim. You can set it to start in low mode very easily as well.

Yeah the photon low mode is great, but not too waterproof.

jsr, what would i need to do to make that light: battery tube, LED, and switch? And epoxy the crap out of it?

Unrelated to LEDs, but if anyone knows where a Beta Light (tritium torch) can be bought from a vendor, let me know.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Maybe not as tough as you want, but the new style Dorcy 1xAAA has a dim, tightly focused beam; about half the overall output of an Infinity Ultra according to flashlightreviews.com. I use mine for reading in bed and getting in and out of the bedroom when my wife is asleep.

paulr

Flashaholic
You might check the CMG O-4, a weird coin cell light that is gasketed and claims to be waterproof. Somewhat bulky for this type of light, but still pretty small by most standards. With a cr2032 cell it would be very dim and long running.