Cyclops runtime

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I did 3 separate tests on nickel metal hydride cells, two of which were somewhat hasted, and the last which was controlled (meanin' I sat there lookin' at it for almost 15 hours)...

NiMHs were bought from BYDUSA.com and were 4500mah Cs. As of yet, I don't have any current/voltage tester on them.

Needless to say, I got some WIERD results.

In the first test, I must've left the NiMHs overnight, because they displayed a very short life:

0:00-3:33 hours (brightest/near bright)
3:34-4:28 hours (continual dropoff in brightness)
4:29-7:00 hours (1/2 Arc AAA light output)
(actual time to death unknown)

In the 2nd test, which had the NiMHs charged and then let sit for 4 hours:

0:00-4:21 hours (brightest/near bright)
4:22-5:36 hours (continual dropoff in brightness)
5:37-7:00 hours (1/2 Arc AAA light output)
(actual time to death unknown)

In the 3rd and final test, which I fully discharged and recharged the NiMHs, and immediately loaded them in:

0:00-5:40 hours (brightest/near bright)
5:41-6:53 hours (continual dropoff in brightness)
6:54-14:18 hours (1/2 Arc AAA light output)
14:18 Death of batteries (virtually no light at all)

Well, there you have it. Time descrepancy is no more than 5 minutes.

I don't know what the varying battery life tells me; well, I can guess. But one thing I do know is that it barely heats up the Mag body. I didn't do a test with fresh alkalines to compare it to, so I'm not sure of what runtime to actually expect from it. But I can conclude that NiMHs, at least so far and with this brand, is perfectly fine for this particular Cyclops...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
FalconFX,

Thanks! Great data there.

I see I need to get some C size NiMh to go with my AAs. Alkalines seem to last for about 6 hours before noticeable output drop, but that's pretty subjective. I did let one run like 18 hrs and it was still putting out over 1000 lux.

Need to put it on the light meter and do a runtime output test. But, that means leaving the computer and meter alone for like 24hrs so it can do it's thing. Not ready to do that just yet....

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
I ran some current tests on the resistored Cyclops. With new C Alkalines it draws 700ma, dropping to 575ma or so after an hour.

Running of NiMH, It draws 550ma and drops to 450ma after an hour. With 4.5AHr cells I would expect at least 8 hours of bright light
smile.gif

It is a very nice white beam with excellent throw. It overpowers the LGI on any distance over about 5 feet when set for a wide beam, and at any distance when focused even slightly.
grin.gif

I measured the voltage at the Luxeon at 3.59V. I am interested in what folks with non-resistored Cyclops are seeing.

Lambda - is the resistor epoxied in the head - or is it accessible for testing?

-Ron

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
trailstoride,

The resistor is behind the heatsink, epoxy'd in place. So it's an unaccesible permament resident.

FalconFX has been running his without a resistor on NiMh with no problems so far. But long term effects are unkown at this time.

I think you're pretty safe with NiMh in yours, even fresh off the charger.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektro-Lumens had a direct drive 8-star based OctoLux that I've driven with 9000mah NiMH D batteries, and it's still going bright and strong... Maybe I just had some LSs that were used to steriods or something...

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Vikas Sontakke:
I was told NOT to run down NiMh under 1.0V

- Vikas
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The voltage at the Luxeon is 3.6 volts using 3 C cells with the Cyclops. I tried 2 D Cells and it did light up, almost as bright as a CMG Infinity, and measured 30 ma at 3 volts. I think you would have to leave it on for a few days to run down the NiMH under 1.0 volt. You will notice the dramatic loss of brightness long before the batteries are in danger!

Luxeons do vary, so measure to be sure.

-Ron