• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Nuwai QIII Heat Sink Interest Thread...

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am starting this thread to guage interest in a run of QIII heat sinks.

These would be like the ones Viren had made awhile back. They can be made from copper or aluminum. We could even make one that would be used with bare emitters.

If this happens I plan to make them able to be used with the stock driver and the FluPic. If there are any other boards that have taller components that would need to be accounted for please post that here as well.

So post your interest here with your preference for copper or aluminum and whether one to be used with a star or emitter. Also the number of units you'd want.

If there is enough interest I will bring it up with my machinist and get pricing.

MM

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Given the plethora of heatsink mods using pennies and plumbing parts and such, the adventureous modder has many options. I just made the bushing/2-penny heatsink. The 2 pennies ground flat and soldered together are approx. .100" thick. The 3/4" X 1/2" bushing is also .100" thick. It adds heft to the Q III that I actually like. It feels substantial. I you make a copper heatsink some may object to the added weight, but I prefer it.

I am capable of doing very fine work, and this bushing/penny mod requires it. Less adventurous modders will appreciate a turnkey heatsink. Being less adventurous, they will probably also appreciate star mounting for drop-in compatability. The fact that you are making them compatible with converters will be attractive in applications where Viren's DD heatsink is not.

I think interest will grow if you keep it on page one.

Bernie

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, here's the home made one I made. You can check this thread out to see the install in my QIII. It works fantastic but a CNC machined one would be sooo much easier and nicer looking. :laughing:

sm_DSC00204.jpg

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
MM, I'll be interested in this project, as long as the prices for the finished products are reasonable. Hope your heatsinks will finally materialize.

As mentioned before, you'll need to have a few configs of the Q3 heatsink available, to suit different audiences. IMO the heatsink has to be available in at least two versions, one for use with smaller 0.55" boards (eg. BBNG, DB) and the other one for 0.77" boards (eg. stock, flupic). For the latter there has to be enough clearance for not only Q3's boards but also stock boards for the TM301x.

And since I'm a much "less adventurous modder" I'd denifinitely appreciate direct star-mounting capability.

Anyway, please use the rough dimensions I've PMed you earlier for reference. Thanks again.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be interested depending on price. I also made a custom one out of 2 pennies inside the stock aluminum ring. It's fugly and I'm embarassed to show it (Mirage - your homemade one looks amazing, esp. when compared to my POS one), but it works fine. I'm looking to possibly replace the driver on my Q3s with one that's 17.5mm in diameter. If you could make a heatsink that would fit this driver, that'd be great.
Oh, I'd prefer copper.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
I'd definitely be interested in a Q3 heatsink to be used with FluPIC and a star. That's exactly the mod I plan on doing next. I don't know enough about the pros and cons to say whether I prefer copper or aluminum.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I d be interested in a flupic compatable,nice chance to replace upgrade the star.Im still learning, so directions, and as plug and play as possible.Of course price dependent.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED BriCK said:
:bumpit: Any updates yet on this?

There really doesn't seem to be enough interest in them at this point. I'd need at least 50 for the machine shop to do it.

MM

Pixel

Newly Enlightened
I don't uderstand it. How this heatsink will be better than stock one? The luxeon star already has aluminium heatsink. Attaching a copper plate beneath the luxeon plate will not increase the dissipating suraface. Making the whole ring from copper will make more sense to me.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pixel said:
I don't uderstand it. How this heatsink will be better than stock one? The luxeon star already has aluminium heatsink. Attaching a copper plate beneath the luxeon plate will not increase the dissipating suraface. Making the whole ring from copper will make more sense to me.

The one I posted a picture of is a home made stop gap measure. It is better than a stock one because the stock one is just a ring. There is no heat sinking directly under the LED. The contact point of the ring to the outer edges of the star sinks some but by contacting the entire surface of the star there is more transfer of heat out to the body of the light.

The CNC heatsinks I would like to have made would be all copper or aluminum.

MM

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, nobody has offered an electrically isolated emitter style type3 hard annodized aluminum version of these for the red, red/orange and amber leds.
I would buy a couple of those.