QIII Modding.....Which star?

conor

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

I have been reading this board for a while, and think I'm slowly understanding (maybe starting to get the sickness of modding flashlights) I purchased a QIII about 6 months ago after reading it was one of the "lights of the month" I would now like to modify it with a Better Star, and RCR123 Battery. Ive been reading that I can keep the stock circuit, just change out the star and use a rechargable battery and i should be fine. i know that it will bypass the circuit while the battery is fully charged....and pretty much almost direct drive it?

now Im trying to decide on a star.... So do i get a T Bin or a U bin?
out of this list i see here...and im not really sure which vF i should be getting?
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85330

can someone help me choose one so i can order it today? :sold:

Cabo

Banned
I've used T and U bins. The TXOH is my favorite. Be sure to get a IMS20 reflector w/oring and a glass lens. Photon Fanatic can sell you everything but the lens. He also has U bins if you want to go that route. Fred's a top notch dealer.
I get my batteries and chargers from quality china goods.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
How does Vf figure into it? I thought I heard somewhere that a lower Vf gives longer runtime? Or does a higher Vf handle the higher voltage of a fully charged RCR123 better?

rscanady

Enlightened
i concur on the new lens but not the reflector, I actually believe that the stock reflector is much better than an IMS 20, why spend the extra money?

Ryan

conor

Newly Enlightened
if i decide to go with a reflector, which ive heard that the stock one is good.....does it come with the oring? or do i have to order that seperately, i dont see it listed in the thread.

ill have to think about that... does anyone have side by side pics of the stock reflector and reflector ua re talking about showing beam patterns?

Last edited:

rscanady

Enlightened
when using the RCR123 cell with voltages from 3.7 to 4.2 this will bypass the stock circuit and go into Direct Drive. A higher bin Vf such as XXXK will be whats needed to mate up to the battery voltage. If you use a lower Vf with DD then the LED will draw more current for the given operating voltage and since the stock heatsink is barely adequate it does not make for a good pairing. Now if you were going to stick to using stock 3 volt 123 cells and the boost circuit then a XXXH bin Vf would be advantageous for the longer runtime because the boost circuit wont have to "work" as hard to boost the voltage at the expense of current.

Ryan

rscanady

Enlightened
You should be able to use the existing o-rings, the glass you want is about 22.1mm though, I believe that Flashlight Lens now
sells UCL for Q3.

Sorry dont have pics, but the stippled stock reflector has served me well.

New glass, new LED, RCR123 and Two stage clickie makes for a good EDS.

Ryan

Cabo

Banned
The IMS20 reflector requires an o-ring to center itself in the head. It's 50 cents extra and not included with the reflector. Just note this to Fred and he'll send you one. The IMS20 produces more throw than the stock one. Most prefer that but some don't.
I think Fred may still have some T bins for $7.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122612

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
I prefer the stock reflector to the IMS20. The flood of the stock is more useful in every day apllications than the throw power of the IMS20.

T-bin stars here:

conor

Newly Enlightened
So far I've ordered a 22mm Glass, a sample pack of Glowrings, almost ready to order my Star and Refector.....still undecided on the T or U bin..... is the U bin that much brighter where its worth the 18.00 vs 7.00**edit looks like i have to order 2 T bins minimum.....?
Hmmmmm

this is turning into a 55 dollar...... 30.00 flashlight lol

what was the link for the rechargable batterys and charger?

Last edited:

conor

Newly Enlightened
Looks like im gonna go with a UXOK Star.

when ordering from that quality china goods site...does it ship from china?? how long does it normally take to the US.... is there another site u would recommend for batteries as well?

conor

Newly Enlightened
Ok, Ordered UX0K Star, Glass UCL Lens, Sample Pack of Glow Rings. all I need now is a 2 stage switch and ive got a 100.00 QIII I think im sick =(
I ended up ordering batteries thru Lighthound.com

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
uhh.... the stock reflector gives a very smooth white beam BUT the IMS gives more throw and less floody. and the ims reflector is of good quality and will produce a beam which has no artifact too.

savumaki

Enlightened
conor said:
Ok, Ordered UX0K Star, Glass UCL Lens, Sample Pack of Glow Rings. all I need now is a 2 stage switch and ive got a 100.00 QIII I think im sick =(
I ended up ordering batteries thru Lighthound.com

Ah ha, flashaholism gets another one :awman:.

On a serious note;
I stripped my board and DD the LED (which compares very favourably with my Fenix), bought a glass lens from a CPF member for $2 shipped, made my own heatsink with two pennies, use RCR123 and stock reflector for a great little light under $40.

Now all I need is a momentary on switch :grin2: (I'm the one who 'hates' reverse clickies)

Does that make it better= not by a long shot- "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

The fun is in the doing.

Welcome to CPF

Karl