New CPFer + Fenix anodizing gets tested + power outage

tesseract

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone...

This is my first post at what looks like a great board. I've been lurking for a few weeks. The story: My not-so-trusty MiniMag died a few years ago and I had been without a flashlight since then, always having to borrow someone else's. I finally decided I should buy a new one, and, perhaps after seeing a store display, I was convinced that LED lights were the way to go for my needs (general use, camping, EDC). Not knowing much about LED lights, I started researching them and found flashlightreviews.com - from there came to CPF.

I bought a Fenix L1T from 4sevens maybe a week ago - the readily available batteries and the runtime on low sold me, plus I couldn't quite justify the price of a SureFire (yet). It arrived Friday and I played with it quite a bit over the weekend. The color seems pretty white to me - perhaps a bit of green around the edges, but more than satisfactory for someone who's only ever used cheap incandescents.

This morning I dropped my brand new light from 3 or 4 feet onto a slate tile. Bang. That had to happen sooner or later, I suppose, but I was hoping for a bit less soon. I was a bit worried (OK, a lot worried) but then I took a look at the damage - only a very tiny nick on the edge of the bezel. The light still works fine, of course. I hit the tiny speck of exposed aluminum with a Sharpie, and now about the only way to tell anything happened is to run a finger along the edge and feel for the nick. I was way impressed. I think I shall be buying more HA-III stuff in the future.

P.S. It is stormy here tonight and the power is out as I write this. The Fenix is tail-standing next to my laptop and illuminating the room almost as well as my little halogen reading lamp. Now I'm really glad I got it when I did - this makes up for dropping it on the floor!

carrot

Flashaholic
Hey, welcome to CPF!

Funnily enough, I dropped my Surefire E1L today on rough cement... and the tailcap came up looking a little mangled. Ah wells.

I've always preferred a yellowish green tint LED to bluish -- the blue might look better on a wall, but the yellowish green is much better for color rendering outside. Nice pick for a first flashlight! I did considerably less research in the beginning but I still came out happy.

Don't feel you have to take the Surefire path anytime soon... take your time. There are plenty other fantastic lights out there now for much less that perform well.

dangerman

Newly Enlightened
Hi tesseract,

Welcome!

That's good advice from Carrot. Surefire make some great lights. Get some by all means but keep your mind open to the alternatives as well.

You will find some very interesting lights out there. Some are bargains as well. Alas some are not but you just have to get them anyway.

Try and take your time and not feel you have to get an entire collection in a few months. It's more fun to spread the financial pain aver a few years.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! You will soon learn that the best flashlights aren't in stores.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!
wink2.gif
Great first post btw. Flashlightreviews is a great place to read reviews and get general info, you could probably spend a day or two reading through everything there. Of course after reading through Doug's site you'll probably be aching to buy a dozen or so different lights. But that's part of the obsession, I mean fun, or both, hehe.

Simple Man

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I dropped mine from about 4' also, but in the shop on a concrete floor. No damage to the finish and only a SLIGHT flat spot in the bezel. I was sure the glass was shattered. I like it. :twothumbs

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing how tough HAIII really is..

After using a Mag forever it's refreshing to have a good surface

P.S My Arc-p has been on my keys for almost 10 months and doesn't look so bad... Great stuff!!!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
how are you typing in a power outage? Laptop ?? LOL

tesseract said:
Hi everyone...

This is my first post at what looks like a great board. I've been lurking for a few weeks. The story: My not-so-trusty MiniMag died a few years ago and I had been without a flashlight since then, always having to borrow someone else's. I finally decided I should buy a new one, and, perhaps after seeing a store display, I was convinced that LED lights were the way to go for my needs (general use, camping, EDC). Not knowing much about LED lights, I started researching them and found flashlightreviews.com - from there came to CPF.

I bought a Fenix L1T from 4sevens maybe a week ago - the readily available batteries and the runtime on low sold me, plus I couldn't quite justify the price of a SureFire (yet). It arrived Friday and I played with it quite a bit over the weekend. The color seems pretty white to me - perhaps a bit of green around the edges, but more than satisfactory for someone who's only ever used cheap incandescents.

This morning I dropped my brand new light from 3 or 4 feet onto a slate tile. Bang. That had to happen sooner or later, I suppose, but I was hoping for a bit less soon. I was a bit worried (OK, a lot worried) but then I took a look at the damage - only a very tiny nick on the edge of the bezel. The light still works fine, of course. I hit the tiny speck of exposed aluminum with a Sharpie, and now about the only way to tell anything happened is to run a finger along the edge and feel for the nick. I was way impressed. I think I shall be buying more HA-III stuff in the future.

P.S. It is stormy here tonight and the power is out as I write this. The Fenix is tail-standing next to my laptop and illuminating the room almost as well as my little halogen reading lamp. Now I'm really glad I got it when I did - this makes up for dropping it on the floor!

tesseract

Newly Enlightened
Manzerick said:
how are you typing in a power outage? Laptop ?? LOL

Yeah, plus a UPS on the DSL modem - I was good for the first hour or two of the outage. Slept through most of the rest, showered with the Fenix (out of necessity :grin2: ), then the power came back on while I was at work.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
frank828 said:
do what i did

buy a U2, P1, L2P/L1P, and L0P all at once...

haha
yeah good idea, thats sort of what i did, but replace U2 with e2e and the l0p with arc.

Latest posts