Spud's MR16 mag 4D conversion

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Spud\'s MR16 mag 4D conversion

fd05a1c8.jpg

Here is a business end view of the light.

fd05a1c7.jpg

Here you can see a copper wire soldered to one pin running to the nipple on the PR base. The other pin is a huge blob of solder (I had previously broken the pin, so I tried to heat it as much as possible and add a TON of solder to hold the pin in place) that is also soldered to the pr base.

fd05a1c4.jpg

Another closeup of the bulb/base.

fd05a1cb.jpg

Here are my two 6AA battery holders end to end. I ran a copper wire (fairly thick, the only other wire I had was phone wire) in the plus hole of one (next pic), bent it over, then ran it through the minus hole (almost sounds naughty) of the other and folded over the spring. Then I notched out the plastic, ran a plus wire to one end and soldered it to a copper plate, then ran a negative to the other plate. I am not sure if my polarity is correct, but my incandescent bulb doesn't care.

fd05a1c9.jpg

Here is how I made connection (as it is rather hard to solder to aluminum).

fd05a1ca.jpg

Insert this end into the mag first so it can make contact where the nipple normally makes contact. I used duct tape over the ends I put the plates on covering the alumium pieces. Then the copper plate went over that and I soldered to it. The heat of soldering melted the plastic and the tape and that is what keeps the plates in place.

fd05a1c2.jpg

And finally, here is the result. Note that this is taken in a SOMEWHAT shaded part of a flourescent lit room. The Tec40 is only a very little bit whiter than the mag. The Tec40 hotspot is about as bright as the mag's outter hotspot. The mag however, has a hotspot that encompasses about 6-8 times the area :)

So that is how you do it. I predicted I would find out how to make the batt holders work in 15 minutes, it took me a bit longer as I could not find my cutting disks to cut my copper pipe. I used a hacksaw to cut a short section off, then cut that lengthwise (rather hard to do with a one inch or shorter section of pipe).

Spud

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Spud\'s MR16 mag 4D conversion

Eh..... nice.... eh..... how many watts is the MR16?

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hey Spud,
I could go and check my local shop for those MR-16's. Not sure if he carries them, but I can ask...

Let me know if you need anything,
Bart

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

OSRAM DECOSTAR® 51 IRC, dichroic reflector lamp with shield, dia. 51 mm
Product reference Product no. (EAN) Wattage Voltage Beam angle Luminous intensity Average life

48860 SP 4050300 620169 20 12 10° 6000 cd 4000 h

Thanks Bart.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work TaterRocket.

What type of MR16 bulb is that? What degree beam?

I have plans to also make one, when I get time. I know little if nothing about MR16 bulbs.

I have the battery packs. Just need to get the bulb and do it.

How does the light compare to the stock 4D Mag?

How long do the batteries last?

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Tater Rocket

Enlightened

Not sure what brand it is. I think that it is about 12 degrees or so, maybe 10. I don`t know how it compares to the normal mag. I think that a standard mag is about comparable to the 3D bulb NiMH combo though. So, in other words, the mag DOESN`T compare. If I had another mag I could compare, but I don't.

Spud

Oh, the bulb draws about 1.67 amps, so the runtime is about an hour on good 1800 NiMH batts.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne, this is along the lines of an older CPF project that Klaus was putting together with friends. I think it was titled "1500 lumen nightbuster". The Osram bulb is the best to use because of the IRC. It reflectes heat back to the filiment. That way you can get 50w of light using a 35w bulb. The down side is you have to special order them in the States for about $20+ each.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened

I am talking to a couple people right now, the 20 watt bulb should be able to be had for about $5 each, but the 37 (can't get the 35 here in US) and 50 are about $10 each. They AREN"T the DECOSTAR IRC bulbs, but they ARE a slightly different version that DOES employ the IR coating that raises efficiency. I am planning on getting some of the 20 watters and maybe a 50 to play with. If I get the Osram's I will put those in any of the mod's I might make for other's.

K-T

*Moderator*

I once squashed 12 AA rech. batteries inside a 2D, removed the original switch, replaced it with a smaller one. The MR16 20W I used supplied me with impressive light for at least 45min. It got pretty warm though.
wink.gif
This mod was based on the other Klaus' ideas and proved to be a real killer.
I would suggest using a 3D Maglite with 12 batteries, then you would not have to remove the original switch, only the bulb socket has to be modified.

This mod is in no way compareable to any Maglite I have seen. Even though only the Mag 2D,3D and MC went through my hands, this one was the best. A real killer.

I used a 10° 20W bulb overdriven to aprox. 14v. I also tried a 35W 10° and 50W 10°. While the 35W version was useable but short runtime the batteries weren't able to supply the amps needed for the 50W.

Klaus.
grin.gif

Tater Rocket

Enlightened

Yeah, I did the 12 batts in a 2D light too. Then I fried all my batteries and I swore I will only use battery holders from now on. Also, I am wanting the Osrams in 8 or 10 degree because it is brighter than about any comparable beamed bulb. Regardless, it is quite bright anyway.

Spud

Ratso

Enlightened

4D Mag, 400+ Lumens, 1 hour run time, Rechargeable... hmmm... Ultimate duty light?
grin.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned

If anyone's interested, I may be able to find a source of decently priced Osrams. So far, the 20W 10 degree version I've seen cheapest is just under $AU7 ($US4) + shipping. Yell if you know of getting it cheaper. Help all CPF'ers out.

Jonathan

Enlightened

Onyx,

If these are the Decostar IRC lamps (gotta be careful, because they have non-IRC versions of the Decostar) then I would be very interested in helping get some of these lamps to the states.

-Jon

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the 35 & 50W bulbs you need 2 x 12 NiMh´s to properly drive the high load.

The other Klaus
grin.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned

Actually I haven't check Kmart kaleng.
wink.gif
I only sought out online places so far.

Tater Rocket, those product codes you gave (not on this thread, but the other one) didn't seem to match anything
frown.gif
Maybe it's just me, I dunno how to look.

Anyway, I've enquired with Osram Australia, awaiting a reply.

Latest posts