My first mod, and it's killer!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first mod, and it\'s killer!

Well I just made my first real mod. Up until now the extent of my mods consisted of overdriving bulbs (mostly KPR103's into 4-cell lights).

I've been planning on giving a 2c-cell Mag the 4 CR123 /Carley 808 mod. (something I read about here at CPF).

But tonight I got to thinking while I was looking at a see-thru 2aa Lumilite. It looked like if I just hogged out the inside diameter a bit I could fit 3 CR123's in it. So that would be 9v or the equivalent of a 6cell light. So I figured if this works I'll kick it up a notch and overdrive a HPR51 (Halogen 5-cell) bulb.

So I got out my dremel and went to work. 15 minutes later I had a killer mod that cost a total of $5.00 (including the bulb), and is arguably brighter than my PT Surge. The surge has a nicer beam pattern, and throws a bit further, but my mod is whiter, and lights up the room more completely.

I am totaly excited about this thing. It's really killer. Sorry I don't have a digital camera to take any shots. I haven't run it for all that long yet, but so far no problems. I've had it on for maybe 3 minutes constant, and maybe 20 minutes total. I didn't melt the plastic lens or run into any problems yet. I'll keep you posted.

Anyway it's an awesome mod, very cheap, very small, very easy, and very bright. --

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My first mod, and it\'s killer!

Nice. I do hope you have prepared for an extended power outage, of whatever cause. Figure at least 1 month. Brighter is not always better.

I have one really bright light (Legend LX), and the rest are LED. The only mods I have done, is replace incandescant bulbs with LED replacements.

Remember that almost all cash registers these days, require power, so you won't be able to just waltz down to the store and buy more batteries.

I am not saying we will have an extended outage, but, between nature and terrorists, we can never be sure.
wink.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

KartRacer31-

If I understood your post; and I think I did. You were not trying to develope a light that had an eight hour run time. I certainly hope that the power in your area does not go out for a month. I'm not sure what would cause that. Maybe someone that is an expert in Science and Technology could say.

Your goal seemed to be to build your mod with little cost and to be very bright. It sounds like you accomplished that.

Congratulaions.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

C. Bradshaw - Sounds like you are quite prepared. More power to you (no pun intended). I do have a few LED lights as well, thanks.

Icebreak - You are correct, and thank you. The light I built exactly met my goal, (cheap - easy -small - bright), and it gave me a real feeling of satisfaction to see it work so well. I appreciate you seeing it as such. Stay cool --

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

Cool mod,

I just did almost the same mod using a
2aa garrity body $3, @ Fry's and a
KPR118 6 cell Radio shack bulb, $1.29, (7.2V 0.7A )
(3) 123 batteries at $1.75ea

Total cost under $10 and it is brighter then my Legend LX. The Garrity has a faceted metal reflector the pattern isn't smooth, but it is round with a hot center, and a line where the filament is focused. Hog out the body and swap bulbs, volia! 6 cell performance in a 2AA package. Fiat LUX

A cheap very bright light that you can leave in the car,boat, or use as a (cheap) backup for your LED lights when you need that extra throw.

B.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Hmmm.....

Squeaky wheels turning....

I have at least one 2AA light somewhere that the batteries rattle in pretty good...

Right now I have 3 123s and a 5 cell Mag WS in a 2C Mag and it's pretty neat for the size....

But in 2AA size? YAHOO!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

Sounds like the biz, Kartracer!
Often cheaper torches are easier to mod than expensive maglites and if you do make a mistake its not like you've lost tens of pounds. The torches I've been modifying cost a pound for a 3-pack 1*2AA, 1*2C, 1*2D so the torches are effectively 33p each!
See my "torches for Christmas" thread.
I like defying my critics when I hold up a modded torch that cost less than £5 but outshines a £30 torch! With the exception of the Electrolumens 5W Luxeon cyan torch, most of my collection of torches each give very good performance for just a few quid! A few have undergone extensive campground testing and genrally they have performed well!
I would highly reccommend that to keep your torches in good condition to use a small amount of WD40 on the switch mechanism. Cheaper torches' main drawback is often that moisture can get in through the switch mechanism, and of course they are generally not submersible. But thery are fine for 99% of torch tasks!
I must invest in a dremel. I bought my brother one for Christmas and this is before I became a torchaholic! I could do some really good more professional mods! The ABS which most plastic torches are made of machines and grinds beautifully, and aluminium is also easily worked!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey guys thanks for all the positive feedback! My little wonder mod is still working just fine. I have maybe 35 min total runtime through it now, and no signs of any problems. I can't wait to start another mod. I'll keep you posted. --

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey Tim,

Nice mod -- actually IMHO the closer you can get to making something out of thin air (read cheaper) that is really bright, or is really long running (hard to have both), OR is whatever it is your objective started out to be, then the absolute cooler the final mod is.

With tons of money invested, almost anybody can make a really nice mod (you could just hire Lambda to build your idea), so it's the guys who can come up with extreme mods using run of the mill consumer grade department store stuff that impresses most.

And on that note, yore thing is on its way so you can try other kinds of mods too...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

The second post in this thread has been *edited* and therefore is a little more clear. Clarity is good thing and I remind myself of that theorem several times a day. If I don't; I know someone else will.

KartRacer31-

You may have started something here. Rookies like me may decide that a Dremmel has moved from a "gee I wish I had one." thing to a cost effective thing. One of my best friends makes thier living from inventions and uses a Dremmel for prototyping. 3x123 L = 2AA L. Hmmm.

Charlie-

I will not admit to how many times I read your comments before I could figure out how to reply. Your post is one of the best examples of a mission statement I've interpreted. It is straightforward, considerate and well defined. IMVVHO your comments were complimentary as well. I have a standard, honest thing I say when someone thanks me for a compliment. It is this: "The best compliment is the truth."

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened

Bulb change...

I was originally using a 6 cell bulb, it was bright, but had some yellow tint.

Following Joe's lead, I replaced the bulb with a KPR112, 6.0V @ 650ma 5cell lamp
Radio Shack # 272-1163
cost $1.29
MUCH brighter now, very white, it makes my Legend LX look weak! The pattern is also better, the filiment line is suppressed, and it's now shaped as an oval spot with a slightly darker center.

Still under $10, and it really puts out! Even my non flashaholic friends are impressed with it's output.

The Garrity sold at Fry's for $2.99 is the same light sold at Walmart for $5-6 under a different label. It's body is part stainless steel, the balance a gray plastic. The switch is a push button, located on the head. It's also rated waterproof, 3ft for 24hr. the reflector is "orange peel" plastic with a metal back so it should hold up to some heat.

This is fun!
I have to go back to Fry's and get a few more to mod.

B.

kz1000s1

Enlightened

And here I thought the 2C Mag w/3x123 was a great mod, this is even better! I'm off to Walmart tommorow. Another idea occured to me, what if you you could make 4 123's fit in a Dorsey Boss/Craftsman Tool light with a Carley 808 bulb?