Lights that use 16850 cells 1 or or 2 cell, 1 cell perfered.

Weylan

Enlightened
I now have access to 16850 cells I get from used laptop batteries salvaged.

What lights use these?

I already have a

Mr Bulk LionCub

Mr Bulk LionHeart

I like the form factor and the run time. What are my options?

I am looking for other lights that use this battery.

I would prefer 1 cell 16850 lights if possible, but 2 might be an option. I do worry about imbalanced cells since these are salvaged. So 1 cell lights are preferred.

What kind of conversion to use the 16850 cells do you all know about?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you find a host that is two cells, 2 x CR123, you could use the flupic driver board and it will work very well. Mind you, 2 x CR123 and 2 x RCR123 would not be possible.

There aren't too many drivers that will take 6V in. 5.5V seems to be max. 2 x RCR123 is out of the question. The shoppe has a nice flow chart in choosing your regular buck/boost constant current converters.

As to the host, the Nuwai QIII mother might be a good one. I can't think of any other inexpensive modding lights that take 18650.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any regulated LED 2x 123A light should work for you. All regulated 2x 123A lights use a step-down converter, be it a buck or LDO, so 3.7V should work as the circuit will try to keep the Vo the same until the voltage drops below it's operating limits, which then it'll go into direct drive. Go to flashlightreviews.com to look up a ton of options for 2x 123A regulated LED lights.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)
... Only low price-production model 18650 I know of is listed for sale in this CPF thread .

18650 too fat for MOST common 2xR123 size production lights .

Much trouble to MOD.

I got the 3W - HY - SWAT Tactical model (b-4 it was re-named to this , recently )

It is pretty nice

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older Surefire U2 lights would take a single 18650 cell and run very well. The newer ones are too narrow inside. They might still work if you bore them out. You can also try boring out a variety of other lights to take an 18650. Here's one that I did myself:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121880

I know this is the LED forum, so you're probably not interested in this incandescent. You might be able to buy it for the body, and retrofit it with one of the Bug Out Gear Luxeon modules:
Nextorch RT3

I thought some of the Varibrite lights would also take an 18650 cell. I'd recommend you research further before you assume it fits. There was also a CPF Special light with essentially the same form factor.
Varibrite 52L

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)

... Yes , Ty Bower

The Varibright models are a very good suggestion .

I have Emillions Workbench model - the QuickSilver V 5 Watt model .

An 18650 UN-protected fits - but I can't find a PROtected 18650 that will go in - all too tight .

It is dimmer on 18650 - but has a good long run time.

:grin2:

cy

Flashaholic
surefire 6P bores out for 18650, combined with 3watt dropin. makes a nice light.