Brinkmann LX mod

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Just got this light at WallMart.
I love it!
Did'nt realize how good this light is.
The only problem I have with it is the plastic lens, and the plastic chrome coating on the aluminum reflector.
Well - I decided to attack the reflector with fingers crossed the day after I bought it. With a Dremel wired brush for starters.
The wire brush was used to remove the plastic chrome coating....leaving me with a vary rough aluminum surface. The next step? To buff it to satisfaction.
About a half hour later...using Dremel cloth wheel and compound. I find myself with a tough to scratch very acceptable mirror like finish. There is still more buffing to do though - It shines well, but it's not smooth as a babies butt.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
PICS !!!! Dun tempt us like this with no pics please...... please sweety with sugar on top.....

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HOPE you did not buff it so it is SMOOTH!! It is orange peel for a REASON: to smooth out the beam!!!!!!

Orange peel "Stipled" reflectors are the HIGHEST quality.

The BANE of incandescant flashlights is the filament image and artifacts that are the result of using SMOOTH reflectors. (Not to mention improper focusing!)

Rifter

Enlightened
What he said, try taking a look at a surefire refelector, there is a reson all surefire beams are so perfect and smooth, the orange peel reflector smoothes the beam.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pi, I don't have an LX to look at. I was curious about your description of plastic/chrome surface over alumimum. Was it this plastic/chrome coating that provides the "orange peel" surface that the posters above are referring to?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yer all right about the orange peel, and this brinkmann sure put out a heck of a clean beam.
The devil made me do it though even when I knew thier would be ramifications for my actions. :)
I simply could'nt help myself. Something about plastic over an aluminum .. I repeat (aluminum) reflector cup made me cringe. If it were real chrome coating - I'd be smiling from ear to ear.
At any rate - The beam is still pretty darn good.

Since I like this light so much. Imagonna get another one and check out the differences. The extra will go in my other vehicle.

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
I agree on the high quality of the aluminum reflector of the LX. I am planning to see if I can squeeze a Mini-maglight head on the LX after some drilling and tapping for a more streamlined budget E2E.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Comparisons are in.
I recommend not doing what I did. LOL
Unless you got the devil in ya. Not that it's horrible, but it is a degradation.

I did however find a decent dust cap for this puppy, and it don't cost nuttin. The cap on a King Soopers one gallon milk jug fits quite well.
I'm a 2% drinker.....So my cap is yellow. You're color depends on the kind of bovine beast you are.

Got milk?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pi-314, how is the beam worse than before? If the beam has 'artifacts' in it now, I suggest some WriteRight, or my favorite (and cheaper option), Scotch Satin Tape.