Hey if i put in two aa's in my LGI it'll turn into a reactor?

Azreal911

Enlightened
Hey if i put in two aa\'s in my LGI it\'ll turn into a reactor?

I was basically wondering if I put in two lithiums in my LGI and a dummy battery will this give the same output and runtime as a reactor? I'm just wondering cause for camping i prefer runtime over brightness. and the reactor had like a 20hr runtime of even brightness on lithiums instead of the 2 hr very bright runtime on 3aa alky's. would this be the same? cause led's have a wierd characteristic that if you feed it less voltage, its mah current also drops significantly.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hey if i put in two aa\'s in my LGI it\'ll turn into a reactor?

It should give you the same run time, but a much better light. Running each on 2 lithiums, the LGI is about 20% brighter & much whiter. They're both direct drive, but you need to remember that the LS's were hand picked for the LGI out of an espically bright batch of lamps. You would have to measure the amperage draw of each to be sure. All LS's aren't created equal. TX

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Azreal:

You done broke da code.

If you're lucky, your LGI will have a low enough forward voltage that it will be bright on 2 lithiums. Mine are not.

Lambda made me a "Safety Illuminator" which is an unresistored 2AA Legend from a batch of exceptionally low forward voltage LS'. This Safety Illuminator, with 2 lithiums, puts out 80 % of the lux of my LGI's on alkalines. Note that my LGI's were from the first batch and have less impressive Luxeons than current production.

Test your LGI and see if you like it. My guess is that it will out-perform a Reactor.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Brinkmann AA "pill" mod drops into either a 2AA or 3AA light, and I build both. So to answer your question, YES! I get about 30 hours of good light out of a pair of lithium AA's.

When they're too spent for a white Luxeon, I drop them into my Brinkmann AA modded with a Red/Orage Luxeon. Presto! They are bright again!

AND, because the LGI uses premium binned Luxeons, it will be brighter than a Reactor, so you are going to be happy when you try it.

Azreal911

Enlightened

wow that was pretty informative. thanks guys. i'm gonna try that with two aa's i could probably run good rechargables safely also with this setup.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree that for some things my LGI is just too bright
wink.gif

I think that a dimmer in the tailcap would be a great mod, just don't have the hardware th build such a thing... And then there are the problems with powering it, hmm, perhaps the dimmer circuit would have to run on a cap charged by the pulses through the luxeon, or a button batt or something.

I have one mod with a dimmer circuit in it and it's terrific. I wish more lights had that feature.

-James

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

slick, i can't find the post...but is there any update on the heatsinks?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Azreal911:
wow that was pretty informative. thanks guys. i'm gonna try that with two aa's i could probably run good rechargables safely also with this setup.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Azreal - Lithiums will work great, but rechargables will dissapoint you... They just don't have enough voltage, so don't bother.

Roth - I'm still waiting to get all the samples together. The shop that's doing them had a setback from losing the employee that operates that machine and when they get to make the samples, there will be numerous sizes to evaluate, which will take them longer to make.

I should get the samples sometime in the next week or so, then I've got to get them sent to the evaluators to see what size they want their production runs made (if they want them).

The heatsinks that I have right now are .655 in diameter and require that .005 be removed with a file for them to drop in. It take me a minute or two to clean these up, but they work great.

If you're really hot on getting a heatsink fast (and it's for a Brink AA - only size I have right now), shoot me an e-mail and let me know what you're looking to build. I'll let you know what I can come up with. I did get some isolated (annodized) slugs, and they are .655 also. All other sizes are still pending at the moment..

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey Eddie,

El YUP-to-mundo, just much better heatsinked, and probably a little brighter like Tex said...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just compared my LGI on 2 lithiums & my lambda 2AA on lithiums. Real close to the same brightness. The LGI has a slight yellow/green tint toward the outside of the circle, as do most of the best LS's that are underdriven. The LGI has less green tint than my ARC LS. But the lambda 2AA has a blue tint, simular to my x5 or any of my overdriven Nichia's. This is the only LS I've seen with a blue tint. TX

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

I just ran my LGI on 2-AA alkaline; it was quite bright. I use a long machine screw about the length of AA battery. I took a cardboard and wrapped it around the screw to insulate and and make it fatter.

Obviously, I personally see no need for such an exercise because I do not think I will put Lithium in it and throw it in the glove box. I like to play with LGI at every opportunity I get. I just did this so that I could take some pictures and post it here.

Pictures are coming soon.

- Vikas