Lux V + Downboy powered by 2 Li-Ion?

zelda

Enlightened
I would build a M@g 2C with WX0S and Downboy 750mA, powered with two 18650 Li-Ion.

Switch the downboy off @ 6 Volts?

Zelda

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Zelda. (Do you used to play that game? :) )

Welcome to CPF!

Sure thing, the DB750 should work well with a single lux V WxxS bin and two 18650 li-ion rechargables. As always, I would recommend using protected li-ion rechargable cells. I built a sandwich for minimag with DB750+Lux V+2x14500, and the runtime was around 50 minutes, the two 18650s should give you a much longer runtime. Good luck! :thumbsup:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest using a linear regulator instead of a Downboy to drive a LuxV using 2x18650... it would be a perfect match! :)

zelda

Enlightened
milkyspit said:
I'd suggest using a linear regulator instead of a Downboy to drive a LuxV using 2x18650... it would be a perfect match! :)

Most common linear regulators have a dropout of 1.2 - 1.5 volts @ 700 mA. I this case, the voltage is too low. (Vf Lux V ~6 volts)

I know, it exist some ultra low dropout linear regulators, but they are hard to catch.

Example: LP 3966ET-ADJ

http://www.national.com/ds/LP/LP3963.pdf#page=5

zelda

wquiles

Flashaholic
The other "simpler" posibility is direct drive ;)

My brightest LED light ever is an VY0T with a something like 0.5 or 0.75 ohms in series with 2x 18650 cells. It draws about 1.5A or so from freshly charged cells :D

Mine runs with a very large and heavy solid custom copper heatsink and one 27mm IMS reflector. I have loaned to a couple of folks and they all love how much light this thing makes, but they all comment on how hot it gets after 10 minutes or so :crazy:

I would recommend a slightly larger resistor, probably right at 1 ohm or 1.5 ohms, so it better be rated at at least 1Watt or higher ;)

Will

Last edited:

zelda

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
What's the difference between a linear reg and the DB? Thanks

A linear regulator drive the voltage down. You can set the output voltage with a small resistor.

The DB drive the output current, doesn't matter which voltage you are running.

Zelda

cryhavok

Enlightened
I'm having a problem with a new DB1000 I just bought from the shoppe.

I'm trying to run a LuxV off of 2 primaries. This is the diagram I followed:

http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/...ownboyrev3a.jpg

What I have soldered is:

+LED to the + on the LED
-LED to the - on the LED
GND to the - of the battery
And when I hold the positive nipple of the battery to the Board where the Vin goes, I get sparks. No power to the LED.

I already tested the LED and made sure it worked.

If I leave the wires connected to the LED, and put a wire from the - of the battery to the outer ring on the back of the board, and the + of the battery to the Vin disc, no spark...nothing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Is the board bad?

Thanks!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
But don't you want to control the output CURRENT, as opposed to voltage? The DB will give you XXXmA at the necessary Vf of the LED, no?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
two primary what's? you need more than the vF of the luxeon.. you probably don't have the Vin minimum to run lux v.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
alkaline really aren't meant for high drain at all.. 20.5AH at 0.2A maybe... but 1A is not taxing to a D size cell.. you just have to be aware that the voltage won't be 1.5V.

-awr

cryhavok

Enlightened
Ok thanks for the advice everyone. It's just when I saw the sparks when connecting the batteries I thought there might be a short or something. So I will have to get some different batteries...