Most lumens per dollar

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
Where can I get the most lumens per dollar? I've been thinking about these d cell maglight mods I've heard of, and on another board someone mentioned 1000 lumens, (20 min runtime on rechargeables,) from a modified maglight.

Thannks for your opininons,
Cevulirn

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably one of those rechargeable 55W H-3 bulb spotlights. They usually average around $10. They all use lead-acid battteries so you'll want to treat the batteries accordingly.

Cevulirn said:
Where can I get the most lumens per dollar? I've been thinking about these d cell maglight mods I've heard of, and on another board someone mentioned 1000 lumens, (20 min runtime on rechargeables,) from a modified maglight.

Thannks for your opininons,
Cevulirn

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
if size is not an issue i bet spotlights have the best lumens/dollar ratio.

metalhed

Enlightened
That's a really good question...:thinking:

I agree with the others that if we include 'spotlights' in the mix, they definitely win out in the 'dollars per lumen' category. But if we are talking about conventional flashlights, I think it gets a little tougher to pin down.

If you've got most of the parts sitting around the house, I'm sure a hotwire like a Mag85 or ROP would be in the running....I'm thinking you can get down to less than $.10 cents a lumen if you're lucky.

But that's just a guess...:shrug:

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
:crackup:
senecaripple said:
books of matches you get for free!

if you're looking for a pocketable light, the Streamlight TL-3 xenon is up there.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you are looking for a controlable beam, a good mirror at high noon under cloudless sky is pretty hard to beat; especially if you want serious throw!!! Sorry, I don't have a good answer to the question.

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
Houshold light bulbs, cheap as chips

Alright, let me re-define my question. In a full size flashlight, (Not a pocket rocket, and not a spotlight,) Whats the most lumens that I can get without spending a shitload of money?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Define "shitload." Some folks here wouldn't think twice of dropping $500 on a flashlight.

I'd say it would be a ROP, MC60, Mag85, or MC85.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would really help if you could be a bit more definitive, otherwise it sounds like one of those little kid questions that ends up wasting everyones time trying to play guessing games with you.

But here's a couple of suggestions at each end of the scale.

Mag Charger or Streamlight SL-20X $80-100

Mag 3/4D LED ~ $30-35

For a small light, Brinkmann Maxfire LX $17-20

All are available in stores and web sites.

Cevulirn said:
Alright, let me re-define my question. In a full size flashlight, (Not a pocket rocket, and not a spotlight,) Whats the most lumens that I can get without spending a shitload of money?

zehnmm

Enlightened
As I see the world, one of the best options is the (ROP). Check out the sticky on this subject. I have one. As one who is seriously challenged in terms of building things and putting things together, if I can do it anyone can!

My ROP has the following options: 11W bulb (ROP low) --- est. torch lumens of about 300 for about an hour; 24W bulb (ROP high) --- est. torch lumens = 600 give or take for 30 min. I also have a high temp socket drop-in by Fivemega, where I have used two different Osram bulbs: 1) Osram 64250, 20W --- est. 535 torch lumens for 35-40 min.; 2) Osram 64275, 35W --- est. 870 torch lumens for 20 to 25 min. runtime. Right now, my favorite is the 20W Osram.

If that does not do the trick, you could try the 100W Mag-mod options --- for over 3,000 torch lumens!!

Best of luck!

Drew

Newly Enlightened
ROP Is what I have

2D M*G $15

Pyrex lense $5

Aluminum
reflector (heavy stipple) $25

Pelican Big D
bulb set $8

ModaMag
6AA to 2D
battery Carrier $25

Total $78

Throw in some decent NIMH AA batteries( I use Energizer 2500 mAh) and a cheap charger for maybe another $30 and your all set. You get about 300 lumens for an hour with the low bulb and 500 or 600 lumens on high for 20 minutes per charge.

Even with the low bulb it blows every non flashaholic away! Low is a relative term :laughing:

Last edited:

5645cds

Newly Enlightened
"1) Osram 64250, 20W --- est. 535 torch lumens for 35-40 min.; 2) Osram 64275, 35W --- est. 870 torch lumens for 20 to 25 min. runtime. Right now, my favorite is the 20W Osram."

What type of reflector are you using to fit the 64250? I have the FM MOP reflector and I tried using that bulb. The base of the bulb (where it flairs out)won't fit all the way through the reflector. Are you using a different type or did you modify yours to work?

Last edited:

Latest posts