My new-used Surefire 9P/KL3 head

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this light in the CPF swap section from DRAGOMAN. It's not a light I ever considered owning, but dang, I really like it!! Should have monster runtime on that 9P body and a lot brighter than I was expecting from a 1-watt Luxeon. Blows away my Dorcy Metal Gear in terms of photon output... brighter hotspot, more spill.

I'll admit I was a little leery of a TIR optic on a Luxeon due to the no-spill characteristic of my Garrity light with a TIR over a Nichia LED.

Oh, the proportions of the KL3 on the 9P are real nice too!

Paladin

Enlightened
I recently "commissioned" one of my favorite flashlight crack dealers to build me a 9P/KL-3/Z59...if he ever gets in the KL-3 BK's!

A recent L5 purchase was promptly beheaded and had a KL-3 HA reinstalled, resulting in a sweet handling, long running lighting tool. The original KL-5 HA head is now mounted on a black 9P body, and the two-tone effect does not look that bad after being used to seeing grey filters on black bodies anyway. What the flashoholic world REALLY needs is 9P bodies in the natural HA finish!

IMO a 9P/KL-3 combo has a synergy which "just feels great and works so well" far beyond the actual cost.

Paladin

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new KL3 HA head to put on my 9P. I purchased it based on CPF'ers posts since I had never used one. I do have several KL1's of various vintages though. The runtime hooked me. The advertised runtime of 7 hours on three cells is unbelievable.
The head is much more useful than I had originally envisioned. I have the new frenzel TIR. It has a beam very similiar to the KL1.
I think the KL3/9P combo is a sleeper.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Paladin, I think SureFire are pretty set in their ways not making the 6P/9P/Z2 in HA :(

On a different note, did you notice you write "KL-3" instead of KL3 amd "KL-5" instead of KL5? I think it's kinda strange because you don't write "9-P" or "Z-59" or "L-5". Sad of me but I notice these things :help:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Indeed it's hard not to praise this combo!! I think the latest KL3 (rings or not) with a beamshaper, coupled with appropriate body of choice is one of the best torches on the market for the money!!

Man, are we beating the ole' dead horse or what?:dedhorse:
I know there's another thread around here I should merge this with! :ohgeez:

Last edited:

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 9P with a KL3 head.

It's my favourite light.
Or at least equal to my U2. But then again there's my HDS U60XRGT......:ohgeez:
I'm so confused!!!!!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason this is such a great light is besause it actually has a 3 watt LUX III emitter not a one watt. At least that is how I understand them to be equiped.

As mentioned here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl3gen2.htm

The KL3 head is great on a 6P body as well.
Yaesumofo

scott.cr said:
I got this light in the CPF swap section from DRAGOMAN. It's not a light I ever considered owning, but dang, I really like it!! Should have monster runtime on that 9P body and a lot brighter than I was expecting from a 1-watt Luxeon. Blows away my Dorcy Metal Gear in terms of photon output... brighter hotspot, more spill.

I'll admit I was a little leery of a TIR optic on a Luxeon due to the no-spill characteristic of my Garrity light with a TIR over a Nichia LED.

Oh, the proportions of the KL3 on the 9P are real nice too!

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
KL3 on a 6P body, with 2 RCR123s is my favorite setup when I don't mind the weight or need the throw. Very bright, acceptable runtime. Really prefer smaller units running 1xRCR123 or RCR2 though, but none match the throw yet.