1.1 lux

DeanS

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to figure out how much light 1.1 lux really is. Is it enough to read by? I have a gerber infinity which give plenty of light to read in bed at night. How would 1.1 lux compare with the gerber infinity? By the way 1.1 lux is the low setting of the surefire L1

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this will help, but a real world example of the 1.1 lux on an SF L1:

A few weeks ago I went on a long night hike with a buddy. I clipped my then-new L1 RD on my cap's brim and used it as a headlight w/ an F04 beamshaper (diffuser). I used it the entire night, spending 90% of the time on low (1.1 lux). To my night-adapted eyes I found it was more than enough to illuminate the trail in front of me. What was most interesting was it seemed that the amount of red light was enough to illuminate my surroundings yet not interfere with my night vision. But when I blasted it on high I could really tell the difference in output and effect upon my eyes.

I really was surprised to read it was rated at 1.1 lux on low!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
Edited

[Stupid question]

DeanS said:
could you explain why you think it is a stupid question?

he meant himself, not you. he asked a stupid question and then edited himself out and is kicking himself for having ever asked it. At least that's what I read. Illum's a cool cat.. he's not trying to insult anyone.