L1T running on 3.7 V Li-Ion’s

Brightsun

Newly Enlightened
Several threads have discussed using 3.7 V Li-Ion 14500 re-chargeable cells that produce the brightness of the L2T. Some have reported problems with 14500 cells working properly in the L1T. Can anyone share with us whose 14500 cells work in the L1T without modification? I seem to prefer protected cells if possible.

Also, any info on which chargers seem to work best is certainly appreciated

Thanks,

Brightsun

fire-stick

Enlightened
Re: L1T running on 3.7 V Li-Ion's

Yea I'd like that too. I got my L2T in the mail today. I haven't got a chance to play.... uhh I mean test it yet. If the L1T could run on li-ion that would be a justifiable purchase.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I've tried using a 14500 on the L1T and it will power it. However, you'll need to place a "spacer" such as using solder, homemade copper ring (cutting a similar diameter copper tube for the ring), or do what I did (easiest) which was to use an 18ga solid copper wire cut to fit in the head, etc. The reason for the spacing is that the rechargable battery is a little long.

The setup will work. But there was no noticeable difference in the brightness levels on mine. This sort of defeats the purpose of having a multi-level light. Maybe yours will be different. Another thing too is that I haven't ran my battery down to see if the low level is not as bright as the high.

Good luck if you plan on testing with the 14500. If you don't like it, run the 14500 with the L2P head - which I like better (lots brighter).

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I have used an unprotected 14500 in my L1T. Current draw on low is 750ma vs. 1.1A on high, but as Dark Vapor as stated, there isn't much difference in brightness. I may buy a protected cell (unprotected is just too risky), but it appears the additional 2mm length may be an issue.

alvin70

Newly Enlightened
I too am using a 14500 unprotected on my L1T, seems brighter than the standard 3V, kind of yellowish on low but very white on high, IMHO.

alvin :)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L1T on 3.7V Li-Ion - Whoa!

My sample of one of the L1T worked fine with BOTH protected and UNprotected 14500 as shown in the above thread.

The current draw of the UNprotected was higher.

The L1T on 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable 14500 was spectacular.

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
So using protected 14500's, you could probably get a very good increase in runtime, with just a small increase in brightness?

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened

txaggiechl said:
So using protected 14500's, you could probably get a very good increase in runtime, with just a small increase in brightness?

A 14500 would have a decrease in runtime over standard 1.5V AA's.

frisco

Enlightened

I tried the 14500 battery in a L1T. Only about 10% brighter (which is hard to notice) on my Minolta Digital Light Meter. I was pretty disapointed.

frisco