If I put an Inretech into a 3AA brinkman, will it become a LGI?

MY

Enlightened
The thread on putting 2 AAs into a LGI to make it a reactor got me to thinking what would happen the other way around. Would putting an inretech adaptor into a 3 AA brinkman make it into a LGI. Since the inretech and LGI are direct drive, shouldn't they both have the same relative performance (taking into account quality of LED and number of batteries)?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your Inretech adapter happened to be the same brightness & quality of the LS's in the LGI, you would. Otherwise, you just have a LS being driven by 3 batteries, like the Reactor III. TX

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk puts a very nice thick aluminum heatsink in his LGI's to help them deal with the heat created by overdriving them with 3 AA's (4.5 volts) direct drive.

The Inretech is designed to run on 2 AA's (3 volts) and does not have a heatsink equivalent to the LGI. I think you just might end up with a burned up Luxeon if you run one on 3 AA's. The Reactor III is resistored to keep the current down so that it won't burn out the Luxeon despite it's lack of a heatsink.

Pat

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened
I have not done this before. But I think I'm going to try. I don't know which resistor to buy but I'll figure that out. I'm getting a brinkman 3 aa for the inretech cyan 2aa that's coming in the mail. I'm ordering an opolec newbeam to put into inretech's minimag and the inretech is going into the brinkman.

If the brinkman has a tail cap spring (I don't know what it looks like for it isn't here yet) then I was thinking of glueing in a resistor into the tail using conductive silver epoxy I have laying around. I'll make an insulating layer for the tailcap spring with plastic containers I'll cut to fit so no electricity can flow. Then I'll glue in metal contact for the spring on one side and for the housing on the other side. I'll use the conductive epoxy to glue the two contacts together and then I'll have a better inretech that is not dim and hopefully doesn't get to hot.