what rechargables can I use for the SF L4 since pila wont work anymore?

Miracle

Enlightened
since the new pila rechargables dont work with the SF L4 anymore,

can some kind souls please recommend a protected rechargables that will?

:awman: :huh2:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pilas don't fit anymore? 168S or 600S?

Well, 17670s from AW or lighthound should work just fine.

Miracle

Enlightened
is it 17670 or 17670s?

is the 17670 protected?

what I understand from the meaning "protected" is that when u charge the rechargable battery and when it reach full charge, the charger will auto switch off so that it wont over charge the battery rite?

:huh2:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
By 17670s I meant plural 17670.

A protected lithium ion battery has built-in circuitry that prevents damage catastrophic failures. This includes overcharging, but unless you have a faulty charger, this isn't anything to worry about with unprotected cells, as the chargers themselves have overcharge protection.

The real advantage in protected cells are regarding overdischarge, shorting, and reverse polarity. Putting an unprotected cell in a charger or light can cause serious problems. Overdischarging a li-ion can damage the cell reducing capacity, or even more serious problems. Shorting the battery can also cause serious problems. And by "serious problems" I mean venting (pressure build-up), venting with flame (think of a roman candle), or exploding. In any of these situations, the protection circuitry on a protected cell simply shuts the battery off. No worries at all.

The disadvantage is that in many flashlights, you won't get a warning when your battery is low, and you'll suddenly be left in the dark. There's also a very slight reduced runtime with a protected cell, as the circuitry siphons a bit of juice itself, but IMO it's not enough to worry about, and definitely not worth the risk. There's also some flashlights where an unprotected cell will fit, but a protected cell won't.

For the Surefire L4, stick with protected 17670 cells. Cheaper than the Pilas anyway, and work just as well.

Miracle

Enlightened
Planterz said:
By 17670s I meant plural 17670.

A protected lithium ion battery has built-in circuitry that prevents damage catastrophic failures. This includes overcharging, but unless you have a faulty charger, this isn't anything to worry about with unprotected cells, as the chargers themselves have overcharge protection.

The real advantage in protected cells are regarding overdischarge, shorting, and reverse polarity. Putting an unprotected cell in a charger or light can cause serious problems. Overdischarging a li-ion can damage the cell reducing capacity, or even more serious problems. Shorting the battery can also cause serious problems. And by "serious problems" I mean venting (pressure build-up), venting with flame (think of a roman candle), or exploding. In any of these situations, the protection circuitry on a protected cell simply shuts the battery off. No worries at all.

The disadvantage is that in many flashlights, you won't get a warning when your battery is low, and you'll suddenly be left in the dark. There's also a very slight reduced runtime with a protected cell, as the circuitry siphons a bit of juice itself, but IMO it's not enough to worry about, and definitely not worth the risk. There's also some flashlights where an unprotected cell will fit, but a protected cell won't.

For the Surefire L4, stick with protected 17670 cells. Cheaper than the Pilas anyway, and work just as well.

Thank you for the info Mr Planterz dude,

who is the manifacturer of the protected 17670 cells?

I cannot google for it.

I rather buy from manifacturer rather then from 3rd party

:huh2:

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Pila 168S still fit in the new L4 with rounded sides.

If you compare the old L4 and new L4 tube, the old is 0.3 mm (approx) larger. As a conseguence, the new Pila and the protected 17670 cells from AW doesn't fit inside it.

It is very easy, with a "stone bit" and a polishing "wire brush", to bore the L4 tube. You need a table vice and a hand drill at least; a lathe is best, but who has a lathe at home?

The ability of the SF KLx bezels to run on Li-Ion is invaluable. Few tenths of millimiter (to bore off the tube) are not going to stop anybody!

If you don't want absolutely to bore the L4 tube, you can use a protected 14670 from AW or Lighthound. It fits the new tube, but the runtime is reduced to 35- 40 minutes.

Anthony

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
my L4 is new, and it fits 17670's fine. They are snug, but not a problem. I only wish I could squeeze one of those into my L2.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Will the 168s not fit? My 600s's are "snug" in my G2Z's but they work. I have been using a 168s in my L4 but it is not a new one.
Topper :)

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray_of_Light said:
If you compare the old L4 and new L4 tube, the old is 0.3 mm (approx) larger. As a conseguence, the new Pila and the protected 17670 cells from AW doesn't fit inside it.
First I hear that Surefire reduced in the inside dimensions of the U2 so that 18650 cells won't fit, and now I hear they shrunk the L4 as well? Geez, I sure hope they've got a really good reason why they don't want us to us li-ion rechargeable cells. :(

SCblur

Enlightened
mine stays in solid regulation for at least 60 minutes, maybe even a little more.

BayMoe said:
When using a 17670 to power the L4, how long does it remain in regulation?

SCblur

Enlightened
Don't worry, the 17670 (read Pila 600s) still fits. I'm proof of that. Snug, but it fits. Each battery varies a little. One of my three 17670's slides right in, one of them needs to be helped in and out. None are a problem though.

Ty_Bower said:
...and now I hear they shrunk the L4 as well?...