Modding a 3 watt headlight

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys, I am new here so be easy on me. I have a 3 watt headlight that I bought from Ledshoppe http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP2005.htm and I would like to add a regulator to the circuit to improve the run time. I runs on 3 AA batteries currently. I was thinking of adding a Wiz2 from the sandwich shoppe http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_49_61&products_id=540 but I am not sure of what current level to use. Does anybody have an suggestions or alternative ideas? Thanks

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
I have one of those light. I suggest not to waste your money on a regulator for this headlight. Its a Chinese clone led. Mine have poor tint, dimmer than a Lux 1 if both are fully driven. Poor or minimal heatsink design and its will fried whatever led (same vf)if a little bit more juice is pump in. :thumbsdow

Get a Princeton Tec EOS. My favorite headlamp with IMS 17mm reflector swap. And it comes built-in with a excellent regulator! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
Luxson said:
I have one of those light. I suggest not to waste your money on a regulator for this headlight. Its a Chinese clone led. Mine have poor tint, dimmer than a Lux 1 if both are fully driven. Poor or minimal heatsink design and its will fried whatever led (same vf)if a little bit more juice is pump in. :thumbsdow

Get a Princeton Tec EOS. My favorite headlamp with IMS 17mm reflector swap. And it comes built-in with a excellent regulator! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads-up. I actually already have an EOS and it is great. I just wanted to try this for the sake of doing it (a learning experience) since I already have a good headlight.

Anybody else?:)

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have decided that instead of regulating it I am going to put a K2 (either a UWAP and UW0N bin) in it instead and change the three 5mm outside LEDs to Nichia LEDs instead. The K2 I have ordered has a vf or ~4.5 volts so it should work perfectly in this headlight which runs of three AA batteries.

Last edited:

jugeh

Newly Enlightened
I think the K2 will work for some seconds only. As soon as the voltage drops below 4.5V (vf) the light will go off.
To get the basics have a look at the CPF university. This post explains your problem.
Good luck!

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
jugeh said:
I think the K2 will work for some seconds only. As soon as the voltage drops below 4.5V (vf) the light will go off.
To get the basics have a look at the CPF university. This post explains your problem.
Good luck!

Would three lithium AAs work better? The N bin works on a vf of 4.23 - 4.47 so will that one last longer?

Last edited:

B@rt

Flashaholic
Varroa, this is the second time I have to move a thread to the proper forum for you. Please post in the appropriate forum next time.
Thanks. :)