Need flood type light

unclearty

Enlightened
I would like to find a Surefire that runs on 2 cells..and is a reasonable wall of light. I don't need this light for throw..I have a couple of those...just a wall of white light. The other requirement is not too bright. The closest thing to what I want is the older Dorcy 2 C 8 5mm light. It wasn't too bright, but created a wash of slightly blue light. I'd like a smaller form light...just white light without a hotspot. Is such a thing available?

unclearty

Enlightened
I tried an L4..it's great, but way too bright. Makes it hard to work on something kinda close. Now if the L4 was 2 level............
I'd rather not use an aftermarket 2 stage switch. Any other ideas?

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Hey Arty!!! Nice to see you again :) Kam hit the nail on the head. I use my CR2 Ions "exclusively" for working on electronics and computers, has a low mode too, very very floody and not too bright but a suprising amount of light!!! FourSevens I belive is having a special on them at the Fenix store and he has free shipping too, not an addvert, just the best price!! Good luck and let me know what you end up getting. see you at the next New England get together.

:buddies:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
unclearty said:
I tried an L4..it's great, but way too bright. Makes it hard to work on something kinda close. Now if the L4 was 2 level............
I'd rather not use an aftermarket 2 stage switch. Any other ideas?

Why not? I use a McE2S, Z52 on a L4-body and it works great:)

Best regards

____
Tom

unclearty

Enlightened
Good to hear from you, too! I'm having trouble finding exactly what I want. I bought a Fenix L1T and love it...but..it has a hot spot that drives me nuts. Yes, I've tried WriteRight (sp) but don't like what it does to the beam. I think if I could get an L2T with a lens like a beamshaper in it..I'd be in heaven. I was just hoping that there was a Surefire something like that.
The other, minor, issue is size..the CR2 is beautiful..but kinda tiny...like the L1T. I'd like form factor about the size of a SF L2.
I also love my original Inova X5..early...good size, but sorta bluish. Maybe I need one of the newer X5Ts???

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello unclearty:)

Since you own a L1T, try to put a white plastic-bottle-cap on the front of the lens. I have done it with mine and it works great.
I have found one on a 5l water canister, which fits exactly.

Best regards

____
Tom

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
unclearty said:
I bought a Fenix L1T and love it...but..it has a hot spot that drives me nuts. Yes, I've tried WriteRight (sp) but don't like what it does to the beam...

...I'd like form factor about the size of a SF L2.
You could try some of the glass etching cream, or a piece of sandpaper. Frost up the glass on the L1T, and the hot spot will be gone. I've found that using a piece of scotch tape on the front of a light makes a good diffuser, but as you have noticed there is a weird effect on the beam. It's almost as if the tape has a grain in it that gets stretched only in one direction. The hot spot is diffused, but takes on an oval shape. As you rotate the light around its long axis, it sorta makes me queasy.

You mentioned you like the SF L4, but want a two stage light. You also mention you light the size of the SF L2. Why not get a SF L2? Is it still too bright on low?

unclearty

Enlightened
Yeah..I agree about the L1T...if there was a better reflector..I may have something...although it's still a little short for those of us with fat hands.
The L2 is the only Surefire I didn't get to play with. Is it a flood type of light?
I don't want or need throw...just a wall of light...good to about 6-8 feet.

unclearty

Enlightened
Well then....what about the NEW Inova X5??? Would that be something for me to look at?
Is there a better reflector for the Q3?? ..something that would make it more floody?..what about a better reflector for the L1T? I didn't think this would be so difficult to find.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
unclearty said:
The L2 is the only Surefire I didn't get to play with. Is it a flood type of light?
The beam pattern of the L2 is exactly the same as the L4. The body of the L2 is a little longer than the L4, and it comes with a factory two-stage tail switch.

Press the switch a little for low. Press it harder for high. You can also twist the switch turn it on to either level. On high, it should be as bright (or possibly a little brighter) than the L4. It should be still relatively bright on low, but nothing like what it is on high.

Here's a review:
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l2.htm

wmirag

Enlightened
unclearty said:
I think I'm going to drive to a retailer and try out an L2 before I make a decision.
Thanks for the ideas.

The L2 is a hugely practical light with a wonderful, medium flood that is perfect for walking. The other fella who described the action forgot to mention that the L2 can be twisted onto Low and then pressed for momentary High. This feature is very useful. Also, the Low runs 10 hours regulated and the High fins 50 minutes regulated. When I know I'm going to need a light, the L2 is the one I reach for.

W.