UltraLast 3V CR123 Rechargeable Questions....

Hermanator

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried the UltraLast 3V 123 size rechargeables? The local Fry's has 2 batteries/charger for $25 and it's less expensive online. I have a Inova T3 and was wondering if this rechargeable would work and is safe.

Is this really 3.0 volts? (some threads mention rechargeables are 3.7 volts)
How do I confirm this is a "protected" cell?

Not a lot of technical information on their website....

http://www.nabcorp.com/pdfs/ul_photolithium.pdf
http://www.beachaudio.com/popup_image.php?pID=63705

Last edited:

ledaholic

Enlightened
I have had this setup for quite a while now. I'm not sure what the capacity of the cells are, but they do appear to regulate @3 volts under load. The no load voltage will be over 3v off the charger. I have used them in all my 123 applications with no problems.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I've got 2 sets of 'em from Frys. I tested a normal cr123 and the voltage was 3.3v fresh out of the box (Surefire). I teasted some unprotected Juice brand RCR123's and got 3.8v fresh off of the charger. Then I tested freshly charged Ultralast RCR123's and got 3.2v. I have them in my T3 and X0 and they work fine. I keep my T3 on my belt at all times. Today I carried the X0 through 2 different tours @ Mammoth Cave and it worked great (with the Ultralasts). I kept the T3 holstered, for a back-up, with Surefires in case I needed some extended runtime. I have also used the Juice unprotected RCR123's in my Dorcy single 123 (3.8v freshly charged) with no ill effects. The only thing I don't like about the Ultralast RCR123's is that they are something like 800mAh, and only last about 30 minutes in the T3.

Roger

Hermanator

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input! It's nice to know the T3 can use rechargeables in the future.

Do rechargeable li-ions hold a charge pretty well? I used to use rechargeable Ni-cad and they are pretty much dead in a few months. I'm presuming Ni-Cad are the worse, Ni-Metal-Hydride is better and Li-Ion is probably the best?

z96Cobra

Enlightened
When I mentioned that I got 30 minutes out of them in my T3, I forgot to add that that is when the output dropped off dramatically. It was still usable light, but nothing like the first 30 minutes. Last night I did a little runtime test on my T2 with another set of the Ultralasts that I have. The T2 ran for a soild hour, and then the brightness dropped off just like the T3. I got my Ultralasts at Frys and I have also found them in some Meijer stores.

Roger