Lambda's Tuxedo Illuminator

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Lambda\'s Tuxedo Illuminator

With nothing to do, no LGIs to build, no more 5-watts to play with (plus I destroyed one), I finally had time to set about putting together a light mod using a bare Pill Lambda kindly provded.

It went into a pewter-colored Brinkmann Legend 2AA body tube, capped on either end by the head and tailcap from a black Legend 3AA. Accented by the contrasting black rubber grip in the middle, it makes for one striking little light.

Onto the top copper plate of the pill I Arctic Silver'd a white batwing LS that did not quite make the cut in the recent LGI build, and voila! The Tuxedo Illuminator was born:

fd013d1f.jpg

I put it up against a couple of other lights similar in size, and left to right here are the Tuxedo Illuminator, Arc-SLS, and MiniMag souped up with a NexStar lamp; both the Arc and MiniMag are sporting Kroll tailcap switches:

fd013d21.jpg

But the surprising thing about the spiffy little Tuxedo was that it handily outshone the Arc, and both out-whited and out-hotspotted the incandescent MiniMag:

fd013d22.jpg

But appearances can be deceiving, especially with a subpar (by LGI standards) Luxeon, so naturally I had to see for myself and light metered the Tuxedo vs. the Arc:

Arc-SL 244 lux

Tuxedo 349 lux

This Tuxedo Illuminator outperforms every other 2AA Luxeon light I have ever tested. Keeping in mind the first LGIs I ever built were only making 450-500 lux, it kinda gives you an idea of just how good the Luxeons are that made it into the latest LGIs...and how efficient Lambda's circuit really is.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Lambda\'s Tuxedo Illuminator

nice job charlie...and kevin!

---I put it up against a couple of other lights similar in size, and left to right here are the Tuxedo Illuminator, Arc-SLS, and MiniMag souped up with a NexStar lamp; both the Arc and MiniMag are sporting Kroll tailcap switches---

well, the arc-sls (even with the kroll) is less than half the size...but i guess i will let you get away with it
grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Yeah I woulda used the Arc's 2AA pack but the Arc seems brighter with the 123 pack. Had to give it every chance ya know.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Handsome and sophisticated Mr. Bulk! How would you like your martini?

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Awww, do I have to say? I didn't even see Pierce's latest movie yet...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice Mr. B,

"Tuxedo Illuminator" or is that a "Penguin Light"?

And I think it's stirred, not shaken........

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Awww, do I have to say? I didn't even see Pierce's latest movie yet...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think "The Living Daylights" would be more appropriate
smile.gif

MicroE

Enlightened

MR Bulk---Very nice job! You are obviously at the point in your flashlight-building career that you have now started to consider the aesthetics of your creations.

This raises your work to the level of ART, rather than just a useful tool.
The tuxedo is masculine, dressy, and practical.

It's nice that the colors and cuffs match!
Plus, of course, you are now consistently naming your work. That is a key to making art: naming it properly. The Mona Lisa would never have become famous if it had been named That Woman With the Crooked Smile.

I assume that the light output of the tuxedo will be similar to a BB500 with a good LS, no?---Marc

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Originally posted by MicroE:
I assume that the light output of the tuxedo will be similar to a BB500 with a good LS, no?---Marc
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmm, not sure, I looked up the past tests I did with the Lambda Illuminator (167lux), BadBoy Yellow (219lux), and Lambda Pill (230lux)...

Then again these meters can have a margin of error as high as 10%...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

This model of a Brinkmann is great looking. However, they should take some lessons from MrBulk on naming their products!

Nice job Charley!

Wayne J.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice Charlie.. Cool name too, much better than naming it the "Blackhead"
yellowlaugh.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wonder if you will make one with silver head and tail, black body?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Slick,

Yes, the name "Blackhead" came to mind at first, but -- you know...

Nerd,

Wish I could, where do I get the black body from?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Slick,

Yes, the name "Blackhead" came to mind at first, but -- you know...

Nerd,

Wish I could, where do I get the black body from?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uhhh... Didn't you swipe the head & tailcap from a black Brink, leaving a "counter-color / evil-twin" flashlight?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, Charlie,

I just happen to have a black 2AA Legend laying here with no tail cap switch. Watch your mail box for Blackie.............

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thank you kind sir...but now I'll need another of your most excellent pills!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

You've given me an idea...
Product Placement!
Why not see if we can get a CPF member's product on film or TV?
The BBc are famous for thier "no advertising" stance, but the products appear on the films that are screened.
Each time the film "The Italian Job" was screened there used to be a surge in the sale of Minis!
Our hero could carry a well designed CPF torch such as the Tuxedo Illuminator! You could then have on the credits "Tuxedo Illuminator LED Torch supplied by Mr Bulk Enterprises (tm)"