Owners of the Inova X1

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having never seen the Inova X1, I was wondering how well made this light is?
Thanks!!

rider

Newly Enlightened
Like most Inovas, it's built like a tank. Some people have complained about potential flickering problems when using the momentary functionality, which can be solved by cleaning up the non-anodized end of the tube. The momentary rubber dome on the end of the switch takes a little while to break in as well.

I've been EDCing the V2 (reflector) version of this light since the day it became available and haven't had the slightest problem with it. I've loaned it to several people who have unceremoniously dumped it onto concrete floors, and keep it in a pocket with keys and a pocketknife, and it still doesn't even have a scratch in the HA.

Overall, if you can live with a little bit of Nichia blueness, it's an excellent little light for inspections, close up work, reading, etc.

There's also a really long (merged) X1 thread around somewhere if you poke around.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is very well made. Some take issue with the momentary button on the tailcap, but I think that is just how they decided to do it. It is nicely machined and the anodizing is well done. The only issue I have had with the three of mine (old style spot, new style flood, and old style modded) is flickering on momentary if it is screwed out a long way. The momentary button has very little travel so it will not contact well if you screwed the tail out a lot. If flickers none if you screw it in more.
I have had my new style X1 for a long time now and it is still one of the few lights I still carry in my work bag. It is great around the house (used it just last night) and I use it a lot at work too. The tail knurl is east to turn with two fingers, and it is very tough. A great buy for $20.

pizzaman

Enlightened
For the Inova X1 flickering problem, I use a thin film of antioxident/conductive grease (Penetrox, Ox-Gard, etc) on the positive and negative terminals of the flashlight as well as the non-anodized end of the battery tube. Flickering should greatly diminish or completely go away. The same treatment has also yielded excellent results in my Inova X5

Good luck, TR

Pokerstud

Enlightened
It is a great light. I have the old style spot. I have had it for a very long time. There is NO side spill, which makes it great for finding my way in the dark without waking the wife, like in a hotel room while traveling. I used it at work to trace wiring in an unlite IDF room. Actually, it was my first Inova.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! Pizzaman, where can I buy those greases? Thanks!!

Solar Wind

Newly Enlightened
:rock:Great lite! Got one from Target with the (new) reflector, @ $20.

I work for a major railroad around engines and cars made of steel, using it

often and under very hot and cold temperatures without a scratch or failure.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like just about everything about the Inova X1. I like the body most all. It is a good shape and I barely notice it in my pocket. The only thing I can nitpick about it is the beam. Some people would say it great because its beam is perfectly smooth. Instead of outer and inner rings it gradually and smoothly transforms from the center to the outer darkness. I like to see more of a hotspot with a more defined outer circle. I like it much more than the old version, but I think they went about 1% too far in the other direction. Overall, I think it is a good light.:)

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
pizzaman said:
For the Inova X1 flickering problem, I use a thin film of antioxident/conductive grease (Penetrox, Ox-Gard, etc) on the positive and negative terminals of the flashlight as well as the non-anodized end of the battery tube. Flickering should greatly diminish or completely go away. The same treatment has also yielded excellent results in my Inova X5

Good luck, TR

TR, I can't believe I'm just now looking at the X1 and finally see what the electrical path is and what needs to be cleaned. I wiped off the end of the battery tube with a clean rag and the little flickering I had when unscrewed far out is completely gone and I haven't even used Pro-Gold. Good call!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found the X1 to be well built. There were some lens issues in the early production run. It has since been solved. Nice light.

MVB

Newly Enlightened
lrp said:
Having never seen the Inova X1, I was wondering how well made this light is?
Thanks!!
As others have said, it's built like a tank. I have a T5 and one of the newer reflector versions of the T1. I am quite certain that you could drive a truck over either light without any damage. The aluminum walls are very thick compated to most flashlights (I think you can see this in the photos on Quickbeam's review...)

I like the fact that the T1 gives you more of a "flood" beam. Often that's more usefull than a light with a bright hot spot (as, say, with a Fenix).

swatman

Newly Enlightened
MVB said:
As others have said, it's built like a tank. I have a T5 and one of the newer reflector versions of the T1. I am quite certain that you could drive a truck over either light without any damage. The aluminum walls are very thick compated to most flashlights (I think you can see this in the photos on Quickbeam's review...)

I like the fact that the T1 gives you more of a "flood" beam. Often that's more usefull than a light with a bright hot spot (as, say, with a Fenix).

T1 new reflector version instead of TIROS? I didn't realize Inova is revamping the T series lights. Is it like the new XO reflector version? Got pics?

Illum

Flashaholic
urk...

I call myself an inova fan... but i dont have the X1 or the X5

Solar Wind said:
:rock:Great lite! Got one from Target with the (new) reflector, @ $20.

I work for a major railroad around engines and cars made of steel, using it

often and under very hot and cold temperatures without a scratch or failure.

make sure you shop around...unlike what it looks like, the lens is actually glued on to the outside of the SS bezel. some Target stock have lens falling falling off on some of the X1s.

pizzaman

Enlightened
QUOTE: "Pizzaman, where can I buy those greases? Thanks!!"

lrp,

You should be able to get this grease at any hardware store that sells electrical supplies (wire, outlets, switches, etc). It is used on ground rods, when connecting dissimilar metals, connections exposed to the elements, etc. I started to use this stuff when I put up many of my amateur radio antennas. It really worked great. I thought I would give it a shot on my flashlights and have been very pleased with the results. I never have to shake or smack any of my flashlights to get full output.

One small bottle should last a life time. I use this stuff on any electrical contact point I can get my hands on, in all my flashlights. I even use this on 2 and 3 cell PR bulbs.

I'm concerned that the grease may overheat and smoke on a super high output incan bulb (flame throwers) flashlights. I've never tried it in this configuration, so I am speculating here.

There are other conduction promoters that are sexier and pricer (pro-gold) etc, that can be purchased at Radio Shack and Fry's. I have no experience with these high end products, but they may be better solutions for high output, high current configurations.

Good luck, TR "Greasin' up my torch"

Last edited:

dgc

Newly Enlightened
Someone knows where to buy online a new version of the X1 for a good price? I only found old or unknown versions.

I need it shipped in Italy, so international shipment must be available and for a reasonable price.

Thank you!

PS: Maybe I should open another thread for this question?

schrenz

Enlightened
I have the old Tiros version, build like a tank and very good for some technical purposes (looking in tubes etc).

but the extrem-spot is not very practically to use it as an EDC-light.

Greets Jens
o.t.: Let's party my 100. post:party: :party: :party:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have half a dozen INOVAS and have found them all to be well made. When I hold an INOVA I always get the impression that they are the slickest, most beautifully designed lights ever mass marketed at such a low price. They are pets for the hands.

We have four of the discontinued TIROS X1s and I'm buying more at closeout prices as they present themselves (very slooowly). Most of the time when a maker stops producing a model it's not a big deal because with most lights you may just look around a bit and find numorous lights with similar beam, size, cell, etc. Not so for the X1 TIROS lights. They are unique.

I would have hoped to have eight or ten of them by the time they dry up, but it's not like the old CMG (non-IU) Infinities departure where they could be had dirt cheap for months and months before they went away.

Latest posts