Dart Board Lighting HELP

Dino

Newly Enlightened
hi,
i need the expertise of you guys...i have been reading for a few weeks now...
i am a welder, so that is the extent of my "electricity"knowledge.

well i am wanting to build a 3 sided frame out of wood to go over the top and down both sides of my steel tip dart board ,and ruun led's all inside the frame pointing to the center to give me maximum light. but my question is this....

i bought 50 of these:
http://www.besthongkong.com/index.p...cf0dadf6fb4d8a9

from "besthongkong" and i have a few old transformers laying around that i want to try and use.....the one transformer from an old telephone chrager i had i looked up on the web, looks like it was equivelint to 4 "AA" batteries.

is there a "better" transformer for this?and how many lights can i rig up together with the transformer...if yu look at the webpage they all have 12v resistors already built in...

please help me!

Dino

markus_i

Enlightened
Hi Dino,

I don't know where you live or if you have an IKEA around, but from your question I'd suggest you either
- get someone local to help you,
- get a light set like this one (from the german IKEA web catalogue):
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...-3&categoryId=16083&chosenPartNumber=00098172
- or find a transformer/wall wart with a regulated 12V DC output and something like 2 amps (guessing) output current and connect the LEDs in parallel.
The reason why I suggest the second option is simply that you're going to generate quite a bit of heat, mainly from the resistors in those LEDs, with your setup. Of course, if instead of a fixed 12V transformer you get an adjustable one, you'll have an adjustable light level.
The reason for my first suggestion? Simply that the 12V/2A may not sound much (especially if you're a welder), but if things go wrong, it might be enough to ignite your dartboard (small closed wooden box?)...

Hope this helps,

Bye
Markus