Elektro Lumens 5W SE 'Night Slicer'

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektro Lumens 5W SE \'Night Slicer\'

Thanks to Lambda, who donated a 5 watt side emitting white LS, I was able to build this flashlight.

LS_5W_SE.1.jpg

Here is a link to a web page describing it:

LS 5W SE 'Night Slicer'

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Elektro Lumens 5W SE \'Night Slicer\'

Holy smokes! That thing must be insanely bright for an LED. 'Night Slicer' sounds like a very appropriate name.

Keep up the great work!

B@rt

Flashaholic

Cool mod Wayne!
icon14.gif

Just wondering about the heat generated...
rolleyes.gif
Isn't the pedestal limiting heat transfer?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bart.:
Cool mod Wayne!
icon14.gif

Just wondering about the heat generated...
rolleyes.gif
Isn't the pedestal limiting heat transfer?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, the pedestal is an excellent way to transfer heat. I also run the pedestal through a second plate. So the base of the post touches the face of a sink plate beneath, and the stem of the post passes through the second sink plate, for more heat transfer, and for stengthening of the post. The black tape is not just for electrical insulation. It also helps aborb infra red (heat), helping to pull the heat out. Also, the wires help sink the heat. Four heat sink systems in this little design, not readily apparent upon first glance.

I also use a 2.2 ohm 5 watt resistor. This is to limit current to 700mA. Also if rechargables are used, without resistance, it might pass too much current and fry the very rare emitter. I didn't wat to chance damaging it, so it is not being overdriven. I want it to last!

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

VERY NICE!

Is this the first 5W WHITE LS we have seen?

Lets see some beam shots, when you have time!

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by BuddTX:
VERY NICE!

Is this the first 5W WHITE LS we have seen?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey BuddTX, you've spent too much time away from the mods forum - so here is an attempt to catch you up on 5W whites (Please forgive me if I've left anyone or anything out):

5 Watt Space Needle Launch

Lambda Illuminator 5W

5W Cyclops - The Real Incandescent Killer

The Space Needle Shrinks

This last topic is more about Cyan 5W's but does include some nice beam comparisons between the Cyan and White 5W's.

Hope this helps to catch you up!
Pat

PS. Nice work Wayne and I hope you don't mind my adding info on other mods to your thread. I'll be keeping my eyes open for when you start selling something like this (or the 1W side emitters) - that's for sure.

Edit: Ok, I've already found more that I forgot about so here goes:

Ok, ok, Here's Mine - 5W White Luxeon with 3C Cells and DC/DC

E2e's with underdriven 5 watts - Twins: SE & HD (beam Comparisons)

5-Watt WHITE Luxeon on 9 Volts -- Pics

E2e/Turbo mod with 5W Luxeon

C3 Centurion 5W White Luxeon HOLA

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wooh! Nice Wayne!

Very Very Nice! My hands are already startin' to sweat...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are a few beamshots:

This first image is the Night Slicer beam in comparison to a 1W white batwing.

White_5W_1W_Beamshot.1.jpg

The second shot is the 5W white Night Slicer compared to the 5W cyan Night Slicer. The White Night slicer measures 2,600 lux from one meter, and the cyan measure 5,030 lux. For those of us with lambertian white 5W's coming, this will be a good mod.

White5W_Cyan5W_Beamshot.jpg

Wayne J.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ooooooohhhhhh baby, yeah!
Are you planning on making the 3D cell (or 3C cell) 5w SE Cyan lights for us hopeless addicted freaks? Got my BB500 today and life is good... but want a nuclear bomb version of a big Maglight.
You guys are starting to cost me a money... I hate you, I hate you...I hate me!
grin.gif

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened

Wayne, elektrolumens, if I buy the 5watt cyan night slicer on ebay will you modify it for use with nimh batteries. This is very important to me after reading your threads since not only does this flashlight only have one emitter to take the current but it is using SIX nimh AA batteries the way I plan to use it. Once again will you resistor it and at what price?

Thanks for your patience. I really like your flashlight ideas.
smile.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ledfanfromjuno:
Wayne, elektrolumens, if I buy the 5watt cyan night slicer on ebay will you modify it for use with nimh batteries. This is very important to me after reading your threads since not only does this flashlight only have one emitter to take the current but it is using SIX nimh AA batteries the way I plan to use it. Once again will you resistor it and at what price?

Thanks for your patience. I really like your flashlight ideas.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It is very easy to add a resistor to this flashlight. I have 4 rechargables (nimh). If I get 2 more, I can test and see what current comes through with rechargables. I expect I would need a 5 watt 2.2 ohm resistor. I wouldn't charge extra for the resistor.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened

Thankyou Wayne!

I am the guy who has been jacking the price up on ebay. Currently the high bidder. But there's still many days left and I may lose it because of my restricted budget. But if I do lose it, you win even more!
grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW is understating it. This might be the light to make me put away that 9AN and UltraStinger... If it outdistances those two and the 10X Dominator in throw, then you can pretty much bet the 5W LSs will become the next best thing to sliced bread for the next generation of LED flashlights.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh shoot!

Hey ledfan, are you also bidding on item #: 1975367897??????

Hey, I didn't know I was bettin' against you here for the Ozark guy on Ebay... Seems like you really want it. If I knew, I probably wouldn't have bet on it, considering I already have a 5W Cyan...

If you really want, I can try to rescend my bet on it... Let me know!

Choua

Hemingray

Enlightened

Watch out, Wayne, they get much brighter, you're going to burn a hole in that wall soon...

Is that a half-self portrait in the reflector?

Ed Brown in deep-frozen NH (brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....)

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Hemingray:
Watch out, Wayne, they get much brighter, you're going to burn a hole in that wall soon...

Is that a half-self portrait in the reflector?

Ed Brown in deep-frozen NH (brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Ed,

Ever see the Star Trek program, where the OA crew is on a cold planet, and they warm a rock with their fazers?

Yeah, I got a partial self-portrait in the reflector.

It's been very warm here in S. Cal, so I don't need to warm the rocks yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by evan9162:
Didn't Lambda's 1W SE measure 5000 Lux?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, I remember him posting that. I am using some resistance, a 5 watt 2.2 ohm resistor. This keeps the current down to around 680mA to 700mA. As has been mentioned somewhere, since the white emitters have such a short life expectancy, we thought it might be best to keep the power at specs, and also heat sink as much and best as possible, to possibly try to prolong the life expectancy a bit. So to me, it is better to try for cooler temperatures, running the emitter at specs. I'll probably take this approach with the white 5W emitters, until the full life expectancy version comes out near the end of next year.

Now the cyan 5W, I run it direct drive from 6 alkaline AA's, and I measured 5,030 lux from 1 meter. And this is the lambertian, not a side emitter.

The white 5W SE, even at specs, is very imrpessive. It is extremely white, and the beam is great. I'd easily put it up to any incandescent.

By the way, I measured the light from my Surge, which Is extremely bright. I measured 4,600 lux from 1 meter. The batteries may not be perfectly fresh. I was shocked to see the cyan 5W Night Slicer beat it out in brightness!
shocked.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com