Need Help Narrowing Down EDC

xaman

Newly Enlightened
I think I've got it narrowed down to the HDS basic 42, ultimat 60, or a SF EL1.

Obviously I'm trying to stay w/a single cell for EDC carry (I also want a clip because my pockets are already too full!) Doesn't have to be CR123, but these lights seem to be the most functional all-arounders I've found so far.

I need some help understanding the differences... I have read that "throw" will be similiar w/all 3 lights... I guess that means the "extra" lumens w/the HDS will go towards flood?

Questions:
Concerning the HDS:
1. Are there any color filters available (red and blue for hunting/tracking purposes.) Or can you make another manufacturer's filter fit?
2. Also, from what I've read, the "brightness" difference in the 42 and 60 is not worth the money, but the programmability might be. I've read the features of the ultimate and the only one I think I might want/need is the ability to reset the 4 modes. My question is -- can you go to the highest setting on the basic series immediately, or do you have to click through the lower primary settings? In other words, is there a way to make the basic 42 turn on at 42 lumens? If so, 95 for a B42XR is hard to say no to.

Concerning the SF EL1:
1. I've read about changing the tailcap to make it a 2 stage light... Does anyone know if it works and where to get the part?
2. Is this light all "throw" or is there some spill? I'm looking at using it to occassionally track boar through dense brush... It needs to have spill! I love throw too -- it's impressive and useful, but in this scenario, I want to see more than a 10' circle.

If I'm looking for something that's not available, I guess I'll have to go for a 2 cell light for outdoors and do something different for EDC (like a single CR2.) But I'm hoping for simplicity's sake to find one to do it all (yeah right!)

Any help would be much appreciated. THANKS!

xaman

Newly Enlightened
I did read about them, they sound awesome.

Can you buy them now, or only pre-order??? any links?

greenLED

Flashaholic
:laughing: You guys made me laugh. He's asking us to help him narrow down his choices and we're throwing more options at him. Gotta love CPF'ers!

What do you want to use the light for?

Unless you get an "LE" version, you can't turn on an HDS on max. You'll have to turn it on (on primary mode) and then do the clicking magic to get it where you want it. I've been *this* close of getting one, but I'm saving up for other stuff.

I really don't like the e1 - too small for my liking/hands and the short clip on those... :green:

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Let me answer the question about the Basic 42 first. Click the button, the light turns on to the Primary setting. Push and hold the button, and you have maximum until you release it. Upon release, the light will revert back to the Primary setting. If you've set the light to any other setting, pushing and holding the button will turn on Maximum until you release. If you want the light to remain on Max, quickly click the button twice, then press for more than 1/2 second and release. The Max setting will turn on and remain on until you turn off the light or double click(the light will return to its previous setting).

The MiniMag lite accessory kit that contains a Hexagonal rubber head, red, blue and clear lens, lanyard, and pocket clip will fit the HDS. Its not a perfect fit, but it works just fine (the pocket clip does not fit). If you remember back several weeks, we were all excited about the Target clearance on flashlights and related items. These accessory kits were sold for $.98. The little kit makes the HDS about 10 flashlights in 1.

phosphor

Enlightened
I just went through a decision to 'readjust" my everyday carry light. Today I bought a HDS Basic 42XT from The Battery Station for $95 plus $6.95 shipping. It comes with 10 free CR123 primary's. I NEVER thought I would fork out $100 for a flashlight for personal carry ( for work....thats different...but I'm retired now) however....I found I spent OVER $100 on acquiring lights to cover all the things a single HDS Basic 42XT will do. I would have liked the 60...perhaps even an Ultimate....but I'm helping out THREE granddaughters who are working their way through college. I can "make due" with the 42XT unit.

The ONLY way I'm going to get a box containing another flashlight past my wife is if she sees a BIGGER box of some lights I just bought go OUT the door. So....it's off to B/S/T to list some of my new lights for sale !
PS If your interested in the Basic 42......act fairly soon...they are nearly gone from most of the distributors !

xaman

Newly Enlightened
Lightningbug -- thanks, that helps a lot. So, it's like some of the surefires I've handled -- in a "tactical" or emergency situation, you simply hold the button down to access the highest light... AND there are filter options!

Gonna check out the Q3 first... But sounds like the HDS is a bargain.

I never could find the specs for the PD, sounds awesome. Anybody know where there's a simple thread telling us what this little light will do?

xaman

Newly Enlightened
Does the PD ship quickly, what kind of wait time?

Anybody got both the PD and the B42 -- how about a brightness comparison? I saw a few comparison shots on the thread, but not w/ a HDS...

Man, you guys got me looking at 225 instead of 95!!!

Mad1

Enlightened
I've just bought a Fenix L1T for my EDC Its not as bright as an HDS B42 but it uses cheap AA cells and its got two output levels.

It may not be what your looking for but its great for my needs.

cryhavok

Enlightened
Trust me you won't regret it. In fact you'll save money in the end because you won't have the desire to buy more flashlights when you already own such a perfect one.

Here is a thread that has a good review between the McluxIII-PD and the HDS B60.

Single Cell Shootout

cryhavok

Enlightened
Also FYI the turn around time between ordering and receiving the McluxIII-PD isn't long at all. It would probably be at your door a week or so after ordering...

Chris201W

Enlightened
If you end up going for the E1L, you may want a F04 beamshaper. The light has a very concentrated beam with little spill, good for throw, bad for lighting up any kind of area (even if it's just a desk or something). The beamshaper widens the beam and makes it very usable for close-up stuff.