Pelican sale at Campmor

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican M1 2310 LED Flashlight $24.97

What's the concensus? Decent light for the price?

(Other Pelican lights on sale also. Some other brands too.)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to determine the value from one of the shopping comparison engines that are all over the web, but yes, that's an excellent price as is the $39.97 price for the M3 2370. And you get the reassurance of dealing with an established business rather than someone with a Yahoo! store who's actually running the business out of their bedroom or more likely from a mail drop.

ringzero said:
Pelican M1 2310 LED Flashlight $24.97

What's the concensus? Decent light for the price?

(Other Pelican lights on sale also. Some other brands too.)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
You should be able to determine the value from one of the shopping comparison engines that are all over the web, but yes, that's an excellent price as is the $39.97 price for the M3 2370. And you get the reassurance of dealing with an established business rather than someone with a Yahoo! store who's actually running the business out of their bedroom or more likely from a mail drop.

Thanks for the reply Brighteyez.

Yes, I checked the price at several other sources and could see the Campmor price is considerably lower. However, a lower than normal price doesn't necessarily mean the light is a good value.

Probably should have asked something like: "Is this a decent light at the normal price?"

Or, "Could someone who owns this light please give their opinion of it?"

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before buying the light at Campmor, check with them to be sure that they have the right picture posted. It may be the old light they have on sale, since I found the following in the middle of their description..."The tactile response click side switch turns it on for constant light or momentary blink." The new model doesn't have a side switch, only the tactical type button at the rear.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon said:
Before buying the light at Campmor, check with them to be sure that they have the right picture posted. It may be the old light they have on sale, since I found the following in the middle of their description..."The tactile response click side switch turns it on for constant light or momentary blink." The new model doesn't have a side switch, only the tactical type button at the rear.

Thanks for the tip nikon.

Actually, if it has a tactical type button I don't want it.

The thing that attracted me to this light in the first place was the click side switch. I'm looking for a small light to use outdoors on a regular basis. I can't stand to have twisty switches or clicky tail switches on the lights I use for walking.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a decent light and Pelican's quality is pretty much known, and it's also US made, so it is probably a bit better in quality consistency than the Chinese imports.

For a comparable light, Dorcy does have a similar light with similar performance for $19.99 at your local Target (it is imported and does have a tail switch with no momentary on.)

Additionally for both lights you can get info for comparison at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_led1watt.htm which will probably be a bit more reliable than what might be gathered from a discussion forum.

ringzero said:
Probably should have asked something like: "Is this a decent light at the normal price?"

Or, "Could someone who owns this light please give their opinion of it?"

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
It is a decent light and Pelican's quality is pretty much known, and it's also US made, so it is probably a bit better in quality consistency than the Chinese imports.

Thanks again Brighteyez.

I had a very unpleasant experience with the last Pelican light purchased a few years back. At the time, I swore to myself that I'd never buy another Pelican product. However, upon reflection, I realized that you can be unlucky and get a lemon from any manufacturer.

Think I might take a chance with this one.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unlike the imports, if you have a problem with a Pelican, they will make it right. And you can still get that taken care of with your other Pelican light if you had problems with it; they generally carry a lifetime warranty, and their is all but no questions asked, though they humorously exclude "shark bite, bear attacks, and children under the age of 5." http://www.pelican.com/support/guarantee.php They stand behind their products. If you were unhappy with your product due to a manufacturing issue, it's not too late to get it taken care of. If the design wasn't to your satisfaction or you made an error in selection; that's a different issue that they may not be able to correct for you.

And if you're going to mail-order it through Campmor, go through the site for other stuff you might want. They have a one-charge shipping rate.

ringzero said:
Thanks again Brighteyez.

I had a very unpleasant experience with the last Pelican light purchased a few years back. At the time, I swore to myself that I'd never buy another Pelican product. However, upon reflection, I realized that you can be unlucky and get a lemon from any manufacturer.

Think I might take a chance with this one.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Unlike the imports, if you have a problem with a Pelican, they will make it right. And you can still get that taken care of with your other Pelican light if you had problems with it; they generally carry a lifetime warranty, and their is all but no questions asked, though they humorously exclude "shark bite, bear attacks, and children under the age of 5."

It was a brand new incandescent C-cell Saberlight, purchased especially for a backpacking-caving trip as a primary light source. Tried it out in the backyard and was impressed with the light, especially considering its waterproofness and reputed ruggedness.

A few days into the trip the bezel cracked completely along one side. The light hadn't been dropped or otherwise abused, beyond being stuffed into a pocket of my pack and being subject to the normal stresses of backpacking. It hadn't been anywhere near a cave yet.

Taped it up with nylon ripstop tape, so that it was at least usable around camp. A few days later, I went to change the batteries, and the metal conducting strip peeled away from the side of the plastic body as the batteries were removed.

That did it for me. To save weight I threw that piece of junk, and its spare batteries, into a trashcan at the next trailhead I came to. Couldn't see packing the weight of a useless light and batteries along for the rest of the trip.

Luckily for me, I had a nice aluminum Streamlight 2AAA PocketMate with spare cells along as a backup.

Paladin

Enlightened
ringzero said:
Thanks for the tip nikon.

Actually, if it has a tactical type button I don't want it.

The thing that attracted me to this light in the first place was the click side switch. I'm looking for a small light to use outdoors on a regular basis. I can't stand to have twisty switches or clicky tail switches on the lights I use for walking.

The M1 and M3 from Sierra Trading Post both came with side switches. Both lights feel well made, and make a nice "set" that can handle many lighting chores. The supplied carry holsters have a handy extra battery storage capability which is nice when throwing them in a rucksack to know spare batteries are packed with the lights.

Both came with japanese made Duracell "Ultra's" dated MAR 2015. Tailcap current of 550mA for the M1 and 625mA for the M3 implies realistic running times in the two or three hour range, although the "tail" is probably longer. HTH.

Paladin

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paladin said:
The M1 and M3 from Sierra Trading Post both came with side switches. Both lights feel well made, and make a nice "set" that can handle many lighting chores. The supplied carry holsters have a handy extra battery storage capability which is nice when throwing them in a rucksack to know spare batteries are packed with the lights.

Both came with japanese made Duracell "Ultra's" dated MAR 2015. Tailcap current of 550mA for the M1 and 625mA for the M3 implies realistic running times in the two or three hour range, although the "tail" is probably longer. HTH.

Paladin

Thanks a lot Paladin.

That's exactly the type of very useful feedback I was hoping for. I tend to value the opinions of actual owners more than the writeups on the review sites.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
My Pelican M1 has the side clickie and I love it. I like the holster with the extra battery compartment. It does a good job.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geddinight said:
My Pelican M1 has the side clickie and I love it. I like the holster with the extra battery compartment. It does a good job.

Thanks for the reply Geddinight.

Yes, I do really like the look of that holster. Guess I can't go wrong getting this light for $25.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.

Kippers

Newly Enlightened
The Pelican M1 is on clearance sale at sierratradingpost.com for $19.95 plus $6.00 shipping. I just ordered one today and have had very good luck ordering from STP in the past. I previously ordered the M3 from them and wanted to complete the set after seeing their price drop on the M1. If you are interested in a lot more light the Pelican M3 is a 3 watt led with three CR123A's and goes for $34.95 plus $8.00 shipping at this time on their site.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
RickyT said:
Which one is preferred, the newer m1 or the older? Is the only difference the switch, besides the look?
M1 at Campmor
M1 at Sierra Trading Post

I got two M1s delivered from Sierra Trading Post today. First Pelican light for me. I'm a sucker for a sale but I like 'em and I think I'll keep one. Solid little light with a real nice beam and over 2 hrs regulated output from a single battery, seems like a bargain to me. I wouldn't want to pay $50 for the newer version since I like the side switch and I got these two delivered for $47.90.
Thanks for the heads up guys.
Ken