Turning down the hex of E1E and KL1

kodiak

Enlightened
icon13.gif
icon14.gif
Since I keep the pocket clip on my E1E, I would like to turn down the hex in a lathe.
I think I would turn it down so the hex would be slightly larger than the bezal, so as not to mar the finish on the bezal. I know it would not be HA underneath. What do you think I would have to do with the exposed metal? I do realize this would void any warranty.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Have to do? Nothing, but it will tarnish/oxidize like any other aluminum surface

You could alodine it!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by kodiak:
icon13.gif
icon14.gif
Since I keep the pocket clip on my E1E, I would like to turn down the hex in a lathe.
I think I would turn it down so the hex would be slightly larger than the bezal, so as not to mar the finish on the bezal. I know it would not be HA underneath. What do you think I would have to do with the exposed metal? I do realize this would void any warranty.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Kodiak,

My solution is expensive and a bit over the top, and since I don't own an E1E I don't know if it would work. It also assumes that you really love your E1E and prefer it to most lights. Ready?

Buy an E2 and swap heads!

To lessen the expense perhaps you could work out some sort of trade or deal within CPF.

I really do mean to be helpful.

Brightnorm

kodiak

Enlightened
smile.gif
You are not wrong to suggest that. It's something to think about. And yes it is my favorite light. E1E/KL1 (KL1 is in the mail!!!!!)

logical

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a satin gray e2e that has the pyrex lens, upgraded clip and other features of the other elites but has a non-hex head.

meridiantactical_1714_489531

MicroE

Enlightened
Brightnorm---You are not off-base here. I put a KL1 on my E2e and thus ended up with an "extra" E2e head. I plan to machine this extra head to install a 5W LS in it, but I bet that many CPF members will be willing to part with their "extra" head.---Marc

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Logical,

SF presses a pyrex lens into that bezel?? Didn't know you could do that! Cool!

- Don

logical

Newly Enlightened
Got it from TacticalFlashlights who don't actually have a pic of it online, but I also see them at MeridianTactical where I snagged the picture. I had to read the TF online catalog a few times to see what they really were saying but sure enough the E2e comes with the head this way, including pyrex, but only in Satin Gray.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
It is Lexan or pyrex? AFAIK, SF page quoted that it is Lexan, and not Pyrex. Here is the quote:

Construction - CNC machined aerospace-grade aluminum. Anodized finish for corrosion and wear-resistance, impact and scratch-resistant Lexan lens window, removable stainless steel pocket clip

Can someone confirm whether it is lexan or pyrex? If it is pyrex, I might order one...

logical

Newly Enlightened
Ya know...I'm not so sure it is pyrex on the satin gray now that you mention it....the website info is really confusing on TF and the MT website seems to say it is lexan....good pick-up Bernhard.

MicroE

Enlightened
I also dislike the hex head.
I spoke with Kevin at 1SKS.com today and he won't even carry the E2e-SG (Satin Gray) because it does NOT have the Pyrex lens and does not have the hex head.

I guess that it is an E2e only because it has the new body-mounted pocket clip.

I ended up buying a regular old E2 in Black.---Marc

Latest posts