LEDs with CR123 batteries?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thus far, I only have LEDs with AA or D sized batteries.I've had reservations about CR123. They are supposed to be expensive and rare. Admittedly, the LEDs with CR123 are more powerful and just better performing.

So should I jump onto the CR123 wagon, or what? Is there any place that sells these batteries cheap in bulk, like Lowes that sells a big pack of AAs pretty cheap?

Or is the recharging answer to this?

Last edited:

KAM

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend getting a Nano charger kit, there are many lights out there that work well with Li-ions, like the E1L, P1, HDS EDC, FFIII and many others

Check out www.lighthound.com

greenLED

Flashaholic
etc said:
So should I jump onto the CR123 wagon, or what? Is there any place that sells these batteries cheap in bulk, like Lowes that sells a big pack of AAs pretty cheap?

lithiums are the way to go for high-powered lights. Check the CPF Specials thread - there's a couple of vendors there who offer good quality 123's for $1 or so.

Rechargeable li-ions are an option, but they are not direct drop-ins for 123's (their nominal voltage is different, you need to learn how to handle them safely, etc.).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123 batteries have less than half the capacity of AA batteries though they are more compact and have twice the voltage. In terms of cost, they can be anywhere from 2.5 to 5 times more expensive (using Costco AAs at 20¢ ea. and no-name Chinese import CR123s at $1 ea as a comparison.) The lights using CR123 batteries are more compact and easier to carry though. The CR123 lithium chemistry does have a flatter discharge curve than the alkalines. Rechargeable options are available for either chemistry, it all depends upon whether your usage justifies the higher initial cost of the rechargeables. With AA batteries, rechargeables are a no-brainer since their cost is so low. The RCR123 batteries might require a bit more thought.

Whether or not you should consider CR123 lights is pretty much a decision that you and only you can make based upon some research and evaluation, and it should be based upon your needs, not the needs, desires, self-interest, or fantasies of others.

etc said:
Thus far, I only have LEDs with AA or D sized batteries.I've had reservations about CR123. They are supposed to be expensive and rare. Admittedly, the LEDs with CR123 are more powerful and just better performing.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargable CR123 will save you a fortune in the long run but there are alternatives. Kevin at batteryspace sells primary CR123's for $1.25 a piece (it used to be $1.0 so please correct me if I'm wrong).

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually what I really wanted to ask, but got them confused, was 123A batteries.

The lights that use them are nice, but they are so much more expensive than AA, C or D?

Why doesn't anyone make 123A in bulk?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you referring to the batteries being expensive or the lights that use them.

Realistically, all of the batteries are made in bulk including those from the brand names that you're familiar with. They are also available in bulk the unlike the Chinese vendors who just want to move product don't really care what happens to it after it leaves their docks, the US manufacturers generally have very strong stipulations that batteries sold in bulk for packaging with other products not be resold in retail.

That being said though, the Chinese CR123 batteries that are imported, sold in bulk, and packaged with house-brand markings, like Tenergy and Amondotech, are still going to cost you $1 each. But at $1 each, they're still a lot cheaper than the $5 ea. that the US brands command.

etc said:
Actually what I really wanted to ask, but got them confused, was 123A batteries.

The lights that use them are nice, but they are so much more expensive than AA, C or D?

Why doesn't anyone make 123A in bulk?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even $1/each is considerably more expensive than AA batteries, which I get for 10-15 cents each.

The bang per buck seems to be pretty low with 123A batteries.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they are more expensive. They're also of a different chemistry and not as widely produced and used as AA batteries.

But they have the attraction of being used in lights that are targeted for use by law enforcement and the military so there's a big interest from that sector and the civilian wannabees (note some of the postings that you see on this site after a flashlight appears or has been "product-placed" on a TV show.)

If your interest is in longevity and economic operation, you're probably better served by continuing to use AA battery powered lights, if you don't mind their size. One that may be of particular interest to you when it starts to appear on the retail shelves may be Mags 2AA and 3AA 3W LED Mini Mags.

etc said:
Even $1/each is considerably more expensive than AA batteries, which I get for 10-15 cents each.

The bang per buck seems to be pretty low with 123A batteries.

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
Rechargeable or not, one big benefit of lithium chemistries is shelf life and temperature stability (maybe thats two). In sub freezing weather lithiums work alot better. They also handle summer car interior temps better.

The other big benefit is lower internal resistance. That means that, depending on current draw, a single 123 can provide the same runtime as 2 aa alkalines. As I recall, that was the case with my good old Arc ls. About 2 hours regulated regardless of the cell type. This is why almost all small bright incandescents use lithiums.

They do cost more and they aren't for every application, but I wouldn't think of leaving an alk or nimh powered light sit in my car and the size is alot nicer for edc. (The lighter weight is nice there, too.)

Joel

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA ans AAA(name brand) are roughly .45 cents in quantity up to 36,
to most people.So at a dollar its not so bar.Rechargables are the way to go for max performance in a single cr123 powered light. Rechargable= Economy and power.

Newuser01

Enlightened
etc said:
who makes the best CR123 rechargables and how many charges do you get per unit?

I think this should be new subject! I like to know it too......But as far as I can tell..... there is not enough use to answer both questions. Only seen battery shootout stickie. Which in itself is great!!

newbie....

PS. So make a new thread and let us find out?