U2 / LUX V LED lifespan question

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Some lux V lights claim an LED lifespan of 1000 hours. Do you think in the case of the U2 lifepan of the LED is increased if used more at lower power levels? While I don't expect to ever need 40+ days of max brightness, will reading at minimum level take the same toll? Common sense says no, but maybe someone can confirm.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, under powering an LED will increase it's life span. I don't think you have to worry about the led degrading much in normal use. Even on high. By the time it's enough to worry about, many many many years of use would have passed...

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks. Probably a non-issue, like you say... but a couple of years ago after a typhoon Guam lost power for 50 days! :shakehead

greenLED

Flashaholic
mbirds said:
Common sense says no, but maybe someone can confirm.
I'm not worrying. Even if the Lux went belly up (which I'm sure it won't anytime soon), SF would make it right.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LuxV in the U2 would probably have almost unlimited lifespan on the 3 or 4 lower levels.

I would also bet that on level 5, one step below maximum, the LuxV lifetime would be comparable to a LuxIII driven at 750 mA, or 10,000-20,000 hours.

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! Love the U2, what a light. I put a rechargeable in it so I am playing with it like crazy. I feel I should feel guilty about something, but I guess not! Well, maybe the $220 I dropped on the thing...