Flashlights in the show "Stargate SG-1"

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was watching it last night and it was quite obvious they all had Surefire M4 Devastators. That that was cool.

Mad1

Enlightened
I saw that too. :)

They used M6's and M4's in Farscape too. :)

They used to use Maxabeams.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
They use a lot of M4's, and I believe the lights on their P90's are Streamlight Scorpions.

Both lights give near perfect beams that look great on TV.

Mad1

Enlightened
I dont own an M4 (yet ;) ) but they arn't as bright as i would imagine.
They do have a very nice white tint. :laughing:

You guys liking season 10 so far?

nexro

Enlightened
Yes, the beam on those light looks great, especially in the cave.

Season 10 so far has been good :)
Can't wait for them to find that weapon Merlin built!

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 is around a lot. They used it on "Enterprise" (with a nifty LED collar mounted just behind the head). It's also one of the standard lights on "CSI:LV".

Mad1, you have to realize that you need a LOT of light to expose film properly. The flashlight has to compete with the background lighting. The M4 is bright enough to make a nice image, but it still appears less impressive on film compared to reality. There used to be a story on the Surefire page (in the true story section) by a Polish cinematographer. They shot a historic movie (pre-WWII or WWII), but the historic flashlights were not bright enough. Fortunately, one of his assistants was EDC'ing a G2. They ended up putting G2s into the old bodies to get satisfactory exposure. The G2s were small enough to fit into the bodies, and the original switch of the historic bodies could still be used with not much jury-rigging!

Film is also adjusted to make yellowish incan light appear white. Incans appear whiter on film than in reality. LEDs appear always bluish, that's why they are not that often used. This will change in the near future, I bet, with the advance of HD video and computer post production, when the color can be adjusted any way you want after shooting (though not yet on TV, still too expensive and time intensive).

Mad1

Enlightened
elgarak said:
The M4 is around a lot. They used it on "Enterprise" (with a nifty LED collar mounted just behind the head). It's also one of the standard lights on "CSI:LV".

Mad1, you have to realize that you need a LOT of light to expose film properly. The flashlight has to compete with the background lighting. The M4 is bright enough to make a nice image, but it still appears less impressive on film compared to reality. There used to be a story on the Surefire page (in the true story section) by a Polish cinematographer. They shot a historic movie (pre-WWII or WWII), but the historic flashlights were not bright enough. Fortunately, one of his assistants was EDC'ing a G2. They ended up putting G2s into the old bodies to get satisfactory exposure. The G2s were small enough to fit into the bodies, and the original switch of the historic bodies could still be used with not much jury-rigging!

Film is also adjusted to make yellowish incan light appear white. Incans appear whiter on film than in reality. LEDs appear always bluish, that's why they are not that often used. This will change in the near future, I bet, with the advance of HD video and computer post production, when the color can be adjusted any way you want after shooting (though not yet on TV, still too expensive and time intensive).

Thanks for that elgarak, you learn something new everyday. :laughing: