New KL3 (fresnel optic version) just arrived!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. I got the HA version to replace my KL5 head on my L5 (which I'm going to put up for sale now).

The first thing I noticed is the KL3 head is noticeably shorter than the KL5 head, about 1/4" shorter than the KL5, which is great. The color of the head is the dark gray-ish as opposed to the O.D. green that my KL5 is, another plus because my L5 body and tailcap are the dark gray-ish.

The beam is still squarish but the fresnel optics rounds out the corners a bit, and it creates a wider corona around the main hotspot. I really like it. Now the agonizing wait until nighttime to test it out.

Paladin

Enlightened
Why so hasty to rid yourself of the KL5 head? I have both, and would NOT part with either one. For casual use the KL3 is very adequate, but sometimes you need to quickly see "the whole picture" without moving the light around. The KL5 is like turning on my back porch light, the majority of my yard is instantly well lit and highly visible, where as the KL3 lights up a segment about 1/3 as wide quite well.

Maybe you should pick up another HA body for that KL5, perhaps a 9 volt one?

Paladin
Captured_2006-7-17_00002.jpg

from top to bottom:KL3 on D3 body w/ Z59 tailcap, KL5 on 9P body w/ Z59, KL3 on L5 body w/ MC123 "HA" extender from Lighthound, E2L(KL1).

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well those are good suggestions. I thought about getting a C3-HA body from lighthound, and still might. Just curious to see if anyone wants it. Right, Sigman? ;)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with everyone else on this thread. Keep the KL5 as you'll really miss that beautiful, powerful beam. Get a beamshaper so you'll have the best of both worlds: spill or throw.

I've got an original KL3 and I love using it when I need a long-lasting light with good spill, such as when hiking at night. In less than 30 seconds I can swap out the KL3 for the KL5 when I want a more intense light.

Get a 1-cell adapter for longer run time, an MC123 or Detonator.

Paladin

Enlightened
Chronos said:
Get a 1-cell adapter for longer run time, an MC123 or Detonator.

In the photo posted earlier notice how the MC123 finish does NOT even come close to Surefires HA color. The MC123 has a greenish glossy finish. The color difference doesn't effect the function, but some may wish for a closer color match, possibly making a C3 body a better choice than the cell extender.

Paladin

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, lighthound is out of C3-HA bodies.

I've also read here that the KL5 runs dangerously in overdrive with 3 cells, any opinions?

Cypher

Enlightened
Surefire lists the KL5 as being compatible with the 9P, C3, and Z3. I wouldn't worry about using it on three cells. If something did happen to it then at least it was done under the recommendation of Surefire and would be eligible for warranty replacement.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
fresnel optics is basically the one that quickbeam reviewed right?

-David

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 - can you take some beam shots of the new KL3 head? I'd like to see how much spill the fresnel rings create. Also, do you think it loses any throw over the previous no-spill KL3?

Flashdark

Enlightened
KDOG3,

The warning about the KL5 on 3 cells concerned the "old" KL5, not the new one. Apparently "something" has changed to make the new KL5 on 3 cells ok. Exactly what has changed, Big Al ("size15s") did not know.

I have the new KL3 (gen2v3) with the rings in the TIR optic and am very pleased with it. Supposedly, it gives just a little more spill than the "non-ringed" optic, with very little loss in distance. I cannot confirm this but it does seem to be a softer and broader hotspot than the KL1 optic, without the rings. Nevertheless, you will still need an F-70 or FM-64 to flood it out. I have shelved my old KL3 because of the distance capability of the new KL3. Lumen output seems to be about the same when the new KL3 is flooded with a beamshaper. I have not done any runtimes yet but I would expect them to be shorter with the new KL3.

Hope this helps.

SunStar

Enlightened
I have compared both new generation KL3's (with and without the fresnel rings). The one without the rings does seem to have a little "hotter" hot spot, however the distance lost by incorporating the rings is nominal. Its almost as if both throw a similar distance but the one without the rings puts a more concentrated light on target. Incorporating the rings provides a more useable tool up close and for path walking. Add a beam shaper to either and you have a very versatile setup.

tsl

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Very nice. I got the HA version to replace my KL5 head on my L5 (which I'm going to put up for sale now).

Now that you've had a bit of time to play around with it, what are your thoughts about the two different heads? Any outside beamshots comparing the two?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Cypher, I have the latest KL5, and it does not regulate with three cells, or two LiIon's. It also becomes super hot with three cells, or two LiIon's, so I do not recommend it no matter what Surefire says. There seem to be three gens. First gen KL5 did not regulate with three cells. Second gen regulates with three cells or two LiIon's. Third gen, like mine, the latest model, will not regulate with three cells or two LiIon's. Crazy!!! KL6 will regulate with three and four CR123's

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
Cypher, I have the latest KL5, and it does not regulate with three cells, or two LiIon's. It also becomes super hot with three cells, or two LiIon's, so I do not recommend it no matter what Surefire says. There seem to be three gens. First gen KL5 did not regulate with three cells. Second gen regulates with three cells or two LiIon's. Third gen, like mine, the latest model, will not regulate with three cells or two LiIon's. Crazy!!! KL6 will regulate with three and four CR123's

Bill

Yikes! Maybe I'll just get another L5 body from lighthound...

Cypher

Enlightened
That's good to know. Since I don't have any pesonal experience with the KL5 my only point was that since Surefire says it's ok (even if it's really not ok) you'd have a path of recourse to have it replaced and they wouldn't be able to say that you abused or misused it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Cypher, I agree, but it really is unbearably hot to hold. The output (bounce with lightmeter) is almost 2X, pushing 200 lumens, proabably. Just no fun to use, and I don't want to wait for SF to return if I send it in for repair, so I bought a KL6, and that should solve my multi-battery issues. I use my KL5 with one Pila 600P, and it is great in that configuration.

Bill