1,000 Hours, 5 Watt Cyan LS With 5 D Cells

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tater Rocket:
Now is that 1000 hours brightness with new batteries or the same ones
smile.gif
You know how bad that luxeon data is, you can never be too sure how bright it will still be after 1000 hours of use ;-0

Spud
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I sold a flashlight to someone, and they turned it on, and left it on. After a month, it is still on. They said it was not much brighter than a Photon II, but it was shining. The testimony is up on my testimonials page now.

I myself just turn them off after a few days. I never bothered to do the run test, to see how long they will shine.

Wayne Johnson
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold a 5D Mag Lite, modified with a 5 watt cyan emitter to someone. It is using the optics. The person who purchased it (they can identify themselves if they wish to), says they left it on for 1,000 hours, and it is still bright enough to navigate about the house at night. No, not super bright, but it is still shining!
shocked.gif

I was sort of amazed by this. I never had the patience to run the test more than 3 days.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yea, those luxeons are great!!!

i am currently doing a test with a 3d ld white. i turned it on november 2, 12:10AM, and the stupid thing is still on. again, not very bright, but more than enough to navigate if you eyes are adjusted.

did he say what kind of batteries he was using? i am using regular duracells. i don't want to try it with e2's
rolleyes.gif

btw, does anyone know anything about the typical power cunsumption differences between the colors? i suspect it would be fairly minimal, but of course each luxeon differs anyway...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Maybe I should've listened to you Wayne when you gave me the choice of the Ozark or the 5D... I wouldn't mind havin' a white 5W last me over 1000 hours...

BTW, the w5WSE-Ozark (just came in today) is stuck in a zone where it's not spot-focused enough to create a long throwing beam, but it's bright enough to flood fill anything from 50-75 feet away. The beam throw carries just as far as Lambda's Cyclops. Acts sort of like a 3X brighter StarLux. Just the way I like it for a general purpose light.

It's scarily similar to my UltraStinger in terms of beam shape. Great work on the podium for the LS!

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
I am no expert here but would the 1000 hour life be based on constant use at full brightness (not overdriven)?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by cannon50:
I am no expert here but would the 1000 hour life be based on constant use at full brightness (not overdriven)?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, it is not 1,000 hours at full brightness. If you read the testimony on my testimonials page, I believe he said most of this time it was about as bright as a Photon II. I think the first 12 hours are really bright, after that, it begins to wane. I suppose I will need to do this test, and take actual measurements, etc. I normally just do not have the patience to do such testing. Do a test for a whole month?
shocked.gif
I usually give up after 3 days.

Wayne Johnson
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by FalconFX:
Wow! Maybe I should've listened to you Wayne when you gave me the choice of the Ozark or the 5D... I wouldn't mind havin' a white 5W last me over 1000 hours...

BTW, the w5WSE-Ozark (just came in today) is stuck in a zone where it's not spot-focused enough to create a long throwing beam, but it's bright enough to flood fill anything from 50-75 feet away. The beam throw carries just as far as Lambda's Cyclops. Acts sort of like a 3X brighter StarLux. Just the way I like it for a general purpose light.

It's scarily similar to my UltraStinger in terms of beam shape. Great work on the podium for the LS!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Perhaps I'll get another white 5W? I would like to get a Lambertian 5W, and use the optics. I think that will be great!
grin.gif
icon14.gif

I'm working on a dual 5W cyan 5D cell. 240 lumens!

Wayne J.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I think this bodes well for Flashoholics. Meaning that a 5W, driven at near-spec (7.5V vs. the rated 6.8V), can be direct-driven and run continually for almost...forever. Like Wayne, I have stopped runtime tests on 1-watts like the LGI after about three days because they settle down into a constant output mode that likely outlasts the tester's patience.

Hmmm, wonder if a solar cell placed in front of the LED and rigged to send juice to the battery would create a near-free-energy device?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
I think this bodes well for Flashoholics. Meaning that a 5W, driven at near-spec (7.5V vs. the rated 6.8V), can be direct-driven and run continually for almost...forever. Like Wayne, I have stopped runtime tests on 1-watts like the LGI after about three days because they settle down into a constant output mode that likely outlasts the tester's patience.

Hmmm, wonder if a solar cell placed in front of the LED and rigged to send juice to the battery would create a near-free-energy device?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey MrBulk,

Seems like the cyan can take a bit of overdriving without problems. I need to check the voltage drop under load. That tells a lot.

Solar cell? Might not be a bad idea? At least some of the expended energy can feed back into the batteries, possibly extending the battery life. Probably not a far-fetched idea at all. How about use the solar cell to power the cooling fan. When the light is bright, the fan turns faster. When the batteries are low and the light is dim, there wouldn't be much need for the fan anyway.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Doug S:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
Seems like the cyan can take a bit of overdriving without problems. I need to check the voltage drop under load. That tells a lot.
Wayne J.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Assuming that the heatsinking is good and that the Luxeon in use has the "typical" Vf, I would be willing to bet that the current falls below the 700mA value in less than 30 minutes continuous runtime. This would be a situation in which it would be nice to have a permanently installed sense resistor as was discussed in the following thread awhile back.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000376# 000000
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At some point, I'll test the 5W cyan under load from 5 D cells, and write down the results. I can check for voltage drop and current. I do these tests on the run, and oftentimes to not write the results down.

As regards the sense resistor, you could also use it on the tail end of things. Remove the tail cap, test between the - end of the batteries and the body.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
1000 hours out of a set of D cells on a 5 watter... obviously its not going to be burning the full 5 watts all the time, as this would give us a battery capacity of 5 kWh! I don't even think that a well charged lorry battery would achieve that kind of capacity!
What it does prove is that the blaster torch continues to operate very well and usefully on reduced power for many hours!

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I my comment about 1000 hours at full brightness was out of place. I was thinking you were refering to the specs that give the new luxeons a shorter lifetime of use. I agree with you that 1000 hours on a single set of batteries is fantastic!

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
Wayne J.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Assuming that the heatsinking is good and that the Luxeon in use has the "typical" Vf, I would be willing to bet that the current falls below the 700mA value in less than 30 minutes continuous runtime. This would be a situation in which it would be nice to have a permanently installed sense resistor as was discussed in the following thread awhile back.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000376#000000

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by cannon50:
Sorry, I my comment about 1000 hours at full brightness was out of place. I was thinking you were refering to the specs that give the new luxeons a shorter lifetime of use. I agree with you that 1000 hours on a single set of batteries is fantastic!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not a problem!

I have a 5W cyan modifed Mag Lite up on eBay now. It is a 4D to 5C conversion. It gets maybe 6 to 8 hours of good brightness, and days of continued lower level light.

Mag.5W.Cyan.1.jpg

5W cyan Mag Lite on eBay

Wayne Johnson
www.elektrolumens.com