Do any led lights stick out in your mind as being PURE WHITE PERFECT TINT?

fire-stick

Enlightened
I do alot of photography and I guess I pay more attention to color temp. than anyone should. To be quite honest it's annoying, I was sitting in the toco bell last night saying to one of my friends "Hey this light looks a little green but this one looks kinda blue.."

Does any light stick out in your mind as having no tint at all?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once had a SL Jr with a QWOJ LED. It's the whitest light I've ever come across. In daylight it looks white. Compared to the many hues of fluorescent lights home, it looks white. Compared to other Luxeon lights, it looks white except for a VERY, VERY, VERY slight hint of green.(Did I say that it was a very slight hint?)

Though I appreciate it for it's whiteness, I still prefer in practical application the warmer tints of my YO and V1 binned LEDs and even incandescent light depending on the situation.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be kind of a miracle to get one with absolutely no tint. But no obvious tint is attainable.

The "Luxeon Lottery" is going to apply to just about any inexpensive production light.

I like "pure white" lights too.... *XO* binned Luxeons seem whitest to me.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think its possible to define a "true white". It must vary from person to person depending on the sensitivity of the RGB receptors in the eye.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
One of my XM3 and one of my Element have very white LEDs. Other XM3, both other Elements, Dorcy Super 1W 1x123, SL 4AA PP Lux all have cool/blue tint.

My 3AAA Dorcy 1W is pretty nice too, while my 3D 1W comes off just a LITTLE cool.

But my "White" may not be at all like yours....

edit> OH YEAH! The LUXIII that Chop put in my KL3 is pretty dandy white too!!! <edit

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF U2 was the whitest I've ever seen, but I sold it to Kiessling.

Delvance

Enlightened
My EL TSP has the whitest LEDs i've ever seen... i don't know what's in the light as they are still the stock ones. Every other LED light i own shows some tint against the TSP while the TSP just remains pure white, i've even compared to other people's LED lights and it still remains tintless...

Led-Ed

Enlightened
My new L4 makes every other "white" led I have look off white.Some look pink next to it, some look greenish, some look yellowish some look bluish .

lumenal

Enlightened
I know most folks here at CPF aren't real thrilled with the Coast LED-Lenser lights,but I picked up the Coast V2 Tac Torch at Lowes on clearance the other day- it was the last one in the rack,and at about 8 bucks and change off, I couldn't resist. It has the "1.25 watt" luxeon with the collimating lens with a hole in the middle. THIS light is the whitest white of all my lights, with the best beam pattern. Its a cross between a narrow flood, and a wide spot. I have compared it with my Pelicans,Streamlights,Dorcys,MagLEDs,and others, and it is whiter than all off them. I really like it, except that it is a 3AAA light,probably without regulation. I'd love to find another type of regulated light with this type of beam pattern and whiteness. Any ideas?

JimmyB

Enlightened
Well the GT (guaranteed tint) series of lights from HDS Systems are as close as you'll get to guaranteed white. They explain how they judge this on their web site.

You mentioned photography. I assume the tint is just annoying, not something affecting your photos. If you're into photography then I'm sure you know all about white balance and how to set it for various lighting conditions. If not, I'd be happy to help via PM

***Edited to add: I just looked at your profile so disregard the WB comment!

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
XO tints are the whitest to my eyes, I had 3 of them and all look very close in tint. still very white.

AlexGT

GregWormald

Enlightened
Unfortunately "real white" is not possible with an LED. Have a look at the spectrographs thread here on CPF "Reviews" Forum and you will see what I mean. Both film and digital sensors have different sensitivities than the eye does of course so what looks white may photograph differently.
I suspect you'll just have to find one that is close and then rely on tweaking the image.
Greg

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the lights I have or have HAD, the one that comes to mind when I think of WHITE white was my Pierce M10 (...that one falls into the HAD category; I gave it to my son.). It had, hands down, the purest white tint of any LED light I've ever owned! I have no idea what the bin was, but it was PURE white to my eyes. Right now, the "whitest" tinted light in my arsenal is my Triton P1 w/TXOJ; it has a VERY white beam with no discernable tints that I can see.

PJD

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
PJD said:
...Of all the lights I have or have HAD, the one that comes to mind when I think of WHITE white was my Pierce M10...hands down, the purest white tint of any LED light I've ever owned! I have no idea what the bin was, but it was PURE white to my eyes.
(portions edited out) - Ditto! My thoughts EXACTLY when I first saw the title of this thread!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whitest light I've ever seen is my Custom Trilux with TXOH-Leds.
My Trilux with UX1J is a little bit yellowish.
I love them both:)

Best regards

____
Tom

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
if an led has tint, you can normal see it in daylight.

in the dark, even really blue led`s look white, I think your brain has no other white as a reference.

my new fenix p1, is pure white as far as i can tell.

regards.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS U60XRGT with TWOH is the most neutrally white LED I've seen. Meaning that no matter what other LED I shine next to it, it still looks very white. Maybe a slight tint shift here and there, but less than any other LED I've had. This isn't true with all the WO tint lights I have, those are all a bit warmer with a hint towards green against other lights. Alone, the TXOH on my Exolion was very white, but compared with other lights, it had a definite blue shift.

The thing is nobody's eyes are the same. And I don't mean just preferences, I mean that people see things differently. Not just genetics, but environmental influences can affect people's vision. As can how much spinach and carrots a person eats.

Latest posts